If Russell Wilson was of prototypical height, where would he have been taken?

Bolts223

9 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Well. He probably wouldn’t be as elusive if he was bigger. And that’s the main thing that makes him great 

But for sake of conversation lets say he still was. #1 in a typical year. 2 or 3 in 2012. Luck was the most hyped QB I’ve ever seen 

Yeah.  A "prototypical size" Russell Wilson with that same sort of elusiveness?  That'd be a pretty special athlete, and teams would've been drooling over that combo.

Beyond that...it's hard to separate, because it's so core to what makes Wilson so good.  If he sacrificed a good chunk of that elusiveness for a few extra inches of height...he might well end up a worse QB overall, because of the way he finds success.

Trying to hypothetically neutralize that height/elusiveness equation for conversations sake, you have to think he'd theoretically have been drafted at least ahead of Wheeden, the middle-aged rookie, but who knows.  In theory, he'd have pretty much certainly been drafted ahead of Osweiler who essentially had nothing but prototypical height (actually more than that, which is a problem, but i digress...).

Maybe i'm misremembering or the height concerns were even more pervasive than i realized, but i don't actually recall a whole big ton of hype about Wilson, even at the time and outside of the height deficiency.  Seemed to me that by and large he was looked at as more of a "safe, lower upside, game manager" type overall...with height deficiency on top of that.  Which might have kept him down a bit even without the height thing.

I'd love to think that at absolutely worst, the Jaguars wouldn't have selected a freaking Punter ahead of him.  So he would've gone at least that much earlier if he'd been a bit taller.  But i mean...that's probably not true, given the scale of incompetence there at the time.

I think he would have easily been the 3rd QB off the board, maybe even ahead of RGIII if Skins wanted a pro ready QB. Height really was the only thing keeping Wilson from being taken near the top of the draft. I'm not even sure what his knocks would be after his senior year at Wisconsin.

Archived