Worst coaching hire the last 20 years?

thebestever6

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sorry, but I had to go back to Mike Ditka.  To me he had to be  on the shortlist of worst of all time.  True, he led Bears to a SB, but did not allow Walter Payton, who carried that team for many years, the honor of running for a TD in that game, but instead let the "Fridge" run for one.  Later, as HC for NO, he sold the farm for Ricky Williams.  Every draft pick from that year for what turned out to be a" not that good" RB

18 minutes ago, honkeytonk said:

I'm sorry, but I had to go back to Mike Ditka.  To me he had to be  on the shortlist of worst of all time.  True, he led Bears to a SB, but did not allow Walter Payton, who carried that team for many years, the honor of running for a TD in that game, but instead let the "Fridge" run for one. 

And they won a Super Bowl as one of the greatest teams of all time. If that's your biggest gripe about him, I think that's fine.

18 minutes ago, honkeytonk said:

Later, as HC for NO, he sold the farm for Ricky Williams.  Every draft pick from that year for what turned out to be a" not that good" RB

Not that good? The guy had over 10,000 career rushing yards, over 2,000 receiving yards and 76 total TD's in his career. He may have had his ups and downs, but he's FAR from a bust...he's actually a lot closer to being a HOF than most would want to give him credit for.

I'm sorry, but I had to go back to Mike Ditka.  To me he had to be  on the shortlist of worst of all time.  True, he led Bears to a SB, but did not allow Walter Payton, who carried that team for many years, the honor of running for a TD in that game, but instead let the "Fridge" run for one.  Later, as HC for NO, he sold the farm for Ricky Williams.  Every draft pick from that year for what turned out to be a" not that good" RB

To the two replies: 

Played three years for Miami:  3129 total yards ; 253 carries for a 3.8yd average.  20 total fumbles.

Look at  HOF RB and draft status,,, WILLIAMS WAS NOT THAT GOOD TO JUSTIFY WHAT DITKA PAID FOR HIM.  I only want to look at Williams at Miami.  We initially were posting about poor coaches and I think Ditka was one.  I acknowledge his SB, but only stated he would not let Payton run for a touchdown in the only SB he got to play in.  Pretty sad.   He was  fired from both Chicago and Miami.

The Ravens brought in Marc Trestman, a pass-heavy CFL coach known as a passing guru, to continue our balanced west-coast offense.

It resulted in Flacco having the most pass attempts in his career and Trestman was fired before a full season was over. Looking back I can't help but feel bad for Trestman. He had no business being here with the system we wanted to run and what his strengths were. 

6 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

The Ravens brought in Marc Trestman, a pass-heavy CFL coach known as a passing guru, to continue our balanced west-coast offense.

It resulted in Flacco having the most pass attempts in his career and Trestman was fired before a full season was over. Looking back I can't help but feel bad for Trestman. He had no business being here with the system we wanted to run and what his strengths were. 

It's not the first time Trestman was screwed. In 1995, he was hired as SF's OC.

The next year, Bill Walsh came back as consultant, and promised to fix the running game. However, when that didn't happen (because of a bad O-line and RB's like Terry Kirby), Trestman took the fall for it while he was attending the Senior Bowl practices. Eddie D didn't have the decency to tell him face to face.

On 3/5/2018 at 5:01 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Joe Gibbs the 2nd time

That's a joke, right?  He won 3 SBs, then he goes to NASCAR and wins 4 championships.  Then takes the Redskins to the playoffs twice in four years.  That'a a bad hire?  Please.  

9 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

That's a joke, right?  He won 3 SBs, then he goes to NASCAR and wins 4 championships.  Then takes the Redskins to the playoffs twice in four years.  That'a a bad hire?  Please.  

I legit did not know this (don't follow racing). Jesus. That man just has a knack for winning don't he.

11 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I legit did not know this (don't follow racing). Jesus. That man just has a knack for winning don't he.

Yeah, he's a phenomenal guy.   I grew up near D.C. and the Redskins are my second favorite team.  When I read that Gibbs was coming back in 2004, I was at work and literally jumped up and said "Yes!" out loud.  :D

On 4/6/2018 at 1:43 PM, MWil23 said:

And they won a Super Bowl as one of the greatest teams of all time. If that's your biggest gripe about him, I think that's fine.

Not that good? The guy had over 10,000 career rushing yards, over 2,000 receiving yards and 76 total TD's in his career. He may have had his ups and downs, but he's FAR from a bust...he's actually a lot closer to being a HOF than most would want to give him credit for.

No, he's really not close. Year 1 in Miami was his only truly great year. 10,009 yards puts him 30th in NFL history. His total TDs rank 81st in NFL history. Those aren't close to hall of fame numbers. His career is really similar to Jamal Lewis, just adding a bunch of weirdness into it. One premier, elite year, and then a lot of years as a good but not great bell cow to accumulate the stats.

And he wasn't a bust in the sense of like, Ki-Jana Carter or something, but he really was a bust for New Orleans. 3 years, never topped 4 yards per carry, gained 3000 yards because they fed him non-stop, but really their rushing attack improved as soon as they got rid of him. Deuce McAllister was an immediate improvement the next year. The only thing that salvaged the draft pick was what Miami gave up to trade for him.

Archived