Worst coaching hire the last 20 years?

thebestever6

37 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

People are letting their personal feelings for guys cloud their judgement in this thread. I don’t see how you could argue josh mcdaniels being a worst hire than Hue Jackson who literally lost every game last season. 

The browns were terrible before Hue got there, they'll be terrible after. 

16 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

Not only was the hiring a head scratcher but so was the firing of the previous coach.

You can disagree all you want, but there was nothing headscratching about the fire of Marty. We all know why he was canned and why his coaching opportunities dried up.

On 3/8/2018 at 9:15 AM, Sugashane said:

Fox was supposed to be some hard board disciplinarian who could control a locker room, but they let Marshall a d Bennett go because he wasn't going to be able to handle them. Emery drafted trash and signed trash, IDK if Trestman had much to do with the pathetic talent level on defense, but I know one year we tied for 2nd in most PPG. That was in large part due to him. He was a mouse of a man, but 1st least had some Xs and Os together. 

Fox didn't lead either, Pace got better players in on defense and valued leadership qualities in them for a reason - to carry Fox if/when he was exposed as a failure. His offense was handed off and garbage each year, hos defenses improved because of Fangio and Pace. I believe a lot of the FAs knew Fox was a joke and that deterred them from coming. Even with a clearly superior staff to carry him, Fox was still horrendous. 

Both were garbage, but if you took both coaches and swapped them durong eachs tenure here, I believe Trestman would win more games. 

Fox at least had a past resume to rationalize the reasoning behind his hiring though. About 5 years late because he was another retread coach that failed to adjust his philosophy with the times, but he at least had that much. Trestman on the other hand had been out of the league for a decade with no history, then took over a 10-6 team and drove it into the ground.

9 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Fox at least had a past resume to rationalize the reasoning behind his hiring though. About 5 years late because he was another retread coach that failed to adjust his philosophy with the times, but he at least had that much. Trestman on the other hand had been out of the league for a decade with no history, then took over a 10-6 team and drove it into the ground.

2 words...Mel Tucker.  I said after year 1 that if Trestman was fired after 2 years it would be bc he had attached himself to Mel Tucker who inherited a perrennial top 10 defense and made it the worst in the league with the same players.  The Bears go to the playoffs in Trestmans first year if the Bears defense knows what the hell they are supposed to do on the last play of the season.

10 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

What resume though? He had 3 winning seasons in 10 years before Peyton Manning chose DEN, carrying him for 3 years. Assuming he doesn't sucker another franchise into paying him for being a failure, he had 3 winning seasons in 13 years as a head coach without Peyton Manning. 

He is a trash coach and probably lock in step with Jeff Fisher - as guys who are and have been dramatically overrated and exposed when they didnt have elite talent to work carry them. 

That 10-6 team wasn't as good as the record indicated if we are being honest. The defense was aged and beginning to decline, and after garbage drafts year in and out we had no replacements for aging starts like Urlacher, Briggs, Tillman, etc. Once we had Emery making (mostly) terrible picks and signings things were further compounded. As Supe mentioned Tucker was crap. But even with Rod, we were no longer going to be a top 10 defense. 

I completely disagree about being the same team defensively. We had Anderson, Bostic, Frey, and Bowman starting. One is a bad deal, let alone all of them. 

Briggs and Tillman missed half the season, Urlacher gone, Peppers checked out, etc. Rod and Lovie together wouldnt have fielded a top 15 defense IMO. I'd wager bottom 10. 

On 3/10/2018 at 2:46 PM, OleXmad said:

The browns were terrible before Hue got there, they'll be terrible after. 

Hue Jackson has a single win in two years. Let’s put that in perspective. Hue Jackson has never won a game in the NFL on a Sunday. Hue Jackson has a winning percentage of .031. This is not something that can be overlooked, even for the Browns

7 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Hue Jackson has a single win in two years. Let’s put that in perspective. Hue Jackson has never won a game in the NFL on a Sunday. Hue Jackson has a winning percentage of .031. This is not something that can be overlooked, even for the Browns

I'd consider it terrible if the plan wasn't for the browns to tank before Sashi got fired.

On 3/5/2018 at 8:26 PM, PapaShogun said:

No, he was horrible. Okay he had a bad roster, but he just seemed so incompetent in game situations. Even though the 49ers had 5 wins, their DVOA was dead last. 49ers were 0-9 at one point this past season, but not at any moment did I feel that Kyle didn't know what he was doing. It was like night and day. I could actually watch the games without wanting to throw up. 

Also, it's Tomsula's responsibility to assemble a good staff. Come on. 

Was just coming in to say the same thing.  Say what you want about the two rosters in comparison, but there was no doubt that Tomsula was in way over his head.  Wins or no wins, that season was unwatchable.  

5 pages and not one mention of Cam Cameron. Come on. Hue and Cam are all timers.

Some day my future kids and grandkids are going to ask my why Hue Jackson got to keep is job going into year 3, and I have no earthly idea how I will explain it to them.

On 3/12/2018 at 2:14 PM, lancerman said:

not to be pedantic, but im pretty sure he did with the raiders

he's still my vote though

Archived