5 Possibilities for Pick No. 14 in the 2018 NFL Draft

Bob Fox

41 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Based in n what knowledge?

What part? Or just all of it?

No first hand knowledge... just my read of the team and their past tendencies. Even though it’s a new GM, it’s one who was mentored by Ted. I figure given Ted’s success over the years in that area that Brian would very much run his drafts similarly. I think the only spin would be Brian might be more aggressive moving around the board.

As far as players let’s just look at Davenport... everything about him doesn’t really scream 1st rounder for GB under Ted. One we don’t draft guys from small schools in the first round... they focus on big schools and production in the first. With the hopes of trying to get athletism along with it. The only red flags they accept are injuries.

So small school alone points to GB likely passing on Davenport in the first, I’m sure in the second he would be highly considered. James and Landry and all the others I named fit the “mold”. As it were.

38 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Bench press is worthless, Landry being 3 inches shorter helps him there.

It's not totally worthless, it just needs to be taken into context.  Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware there's no "equalizer" to balance out players with different arm length.  Landry is at an inherent advantage in this drill given his shorter arms.  To me, Davenport at 3/4 of an inch longer with his 22 reps is more impressive than Landry at 24 reps.

46 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Worthless in this specific situation or overall as an indicator of strength?  

Both. 

Bench press penalizes guys with longer arms, but more importantly at the weight they're lifting, it's a low weight high rep endurance lift. It's best used as a measure of a guy's commitment to the weight room when normalized through a filter of arm length and weight. 

30 minutes ago, cannondale said:

As someone who has near 36" arms I can safely say the only thing worse than the bench press is the failed lifetime pursuit of a sweatshirt that fits

The fact that most shirts get wider and not taller drives me insane as well. 

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

The fact that most shirts get wider and not taller drives me insane as well. 

Never been an issue for me. First - I dont have endless arms - but I've always been a "cuff rolled up (at least once)" kinda guy.

16 hours ago, MathMan said:

I'm thinking the Packers could make a tempting package, and vault into the top ten, taking Fitzpatrick.

#9 is a nice landing spot.  One of them should be there.  According to Draft Tek, it take the #9 pick, our third and our comp 4'th.  Could possibly sub in Cobb for that comp 4'th pick.

I'm unsure if I would rather have that, and pray for an edge like Key or Carter in round 2, of if I'd rather sit at #14 and take Landry or Davenport, then trade up a little in round 2 for Oliver.

Archived