What compensation would you need? 8x8 room, no human contact for 30 days, other stipulations

Dome

I couldn't do it because of the toilet paper.  I use wipes.  Everything else I could do as long as there's a toilet.  I could do it for 50,000 if I had a toilet and wipes in addition to the toilet paper.  If no wipes and no toilet, it would take at least 3 million dollars. 

12 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

Saw an interesting thread on Reddit and I wanted to ask a similar question here.

How much financial compensation would you need to complete the following:

You must spend 30 days in a 8’ x 8’ room with no windows. You will get no human interaction for those 30 days. Your room will be furnished with a bed, a toilet and enough toilet paper for the 30 days, but nothing else. Each day you’ll be given a tasteless nutrients bar that provides you what you need to stay healthy and one gallon of water. You’ll have access to any medication a doctor deems necessary.

So, how much money would you need before you accepted this challenge?

Additional challenge: you must call the challenge off when you think you’ve hit 30 days, you won’t be told when the 30 days is up. If you call it early you won’t get any money,  but you won’t get additional money for going over. 

how much would you need to take on that challenge?

11 hours ago, MathMan said:

Actually, don't finish all of your protein bar. Put a piece in the corner each day

Would they be able to enter the room to clean it out while you sleep or nah?

If it's completely in the dark... I'd say probably 50k, assuming my job is in place after. If not, let's bump that up to 250k.

4 hours ago, Tyty said:

So essentially the question is how much money would it take to go to a high security prison for a month lol

I think they still get books or other such material in the SHU.  This is worse.

I'd probably go mad within a day or two, even though i'm a pretty solitary person.  I have to be doing something.  So my number is probably starts at $100M.

I'd go down to $500K or so if i could bring a Kindle.

EDIT: oh wait, there are two challenges here.

Challenge 1: probably $20M

Challenge 2 (have to call it off yourself): $100M

16 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Because of this part, probably Like $25k. It would be so easy to completely lose track of time. 

If someone told me when it was over, and assuming I still had my job back when it’s over, probably $5,000

You would subject yourself to what is essentially a form of torture for two or three months pay? Damn bro.

For everybody saying they wouldn't do it at all, why not? In a month you could earn enough money to never have to work the rest of your life and fully provide for all your friends and loved ones. None of them would ever suffer because of finances again. You could donate money to a children's hospital and literally save little kid's lives. Would 30 days really be so bad for you knowing that you would get out and have all that money and freedom at the end?

I'm at a point in my life where taking a month out would really set me back because I'm in the middle of school and I will be starting my masters in the summer, so right now that number would have to be much, much higher but in a scenario where It's maybe 2.5 years from now and I had nothing else to do all summer I would probably do it for as little as maybe $50 grand or so.

Michael Stevens from Vsauce/mindfield did an episode on something similar and he really lost track of time within just the first couple days You can watch it here.

I wouldn't take the challenge for anything I could actually rationalize, it would have to be some insane number and I wouldn't be able to set a low cutoff point, because I would be too scared about losing track of time and losing out on all the money, so I would probably end up staying much longer then a single month.

My beard grows really slowly so my strategy going in would be to shave my hair and beard completely bald the night before so that I could wait until it got long enough to know it had been at least 2 or 3 months, but that extra time and the anxiety about being wrong would probably be much more damaging to my mental health.

18 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

Each day you’ll be given a tasteless nutrients bar that provides you what you need to stay healthy and one gallon of water.

There's your tracker. When you've had 31 nutrient bars, you're done. 

Archived