What Are You Thinking About v.CC

pwny

10 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

I came across this video recently. It's a guy's experience with a moving company in Japan. I'm about to move myself to another location here in Macau, and after watching this video I can only dream of having a type of service like that as an option. I hate moving in general, but if I could utilize a moving company like the one depicted I wouldn't dread the process so bad. Quite remarkable.

Only partway through the video, but this type of service is available.  I worked for one of the bigger national chains back in high school.  We did some pack and moves.

Problem is this is really expensive.  Just a one day move, 2 guys, will run you between $700-$1500 depending on your location.  If you want them to pack, and unpack, dear lord.  We only ever did that for the more affluent customers.

Stuff like covering walls, floors, etc we also did.  But again, we were a little pricier than the 2 Men and Truck service.

That being said, they did do some nice little touches in that video.  Like dusting off the furniture.  Or having those special packing boxes for dishes.

9 hours ago, theJ said:

Only partway through the video, but this type of service is available.  I worked for one of the bigger national chains back in high school.  We did some pack and moves.

Problem is this is really expensive.  Just a one day move, 2 guys, will run you between $700-$1500 depending on your location.  If you want them to pack, and unpack, dear lord.  We only ever did that for the more affluent customers.

Stuff like covering walls, floors, etc we also did.  But again, we were a little pricier than the 2 Men and Truck service.

That being said, they did do some nice little touches in that video.  Like dusting off the furniture.  Or having those special packing boxes for dishes.

I'm wondering in Japan though if that company is more affordable. The couple in the video aren't necessarily rich people, at least that isn't the impression I've gotten. Anyway, I could see why in the USA it's way more expensive. 

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

I'm wondering in Japan though if that company is more affordable. The couple in the video aren't necessarily rich people, at least that isn't the impression I've gotten. Anyway, I could see why in the USA it's way more expensive. 

We just have way more stuff. That was a relatively small place. Try doing a pack and move for a 2000 sq ft house and a garage filled with stuff (bc people in America don't use a garage for parking cars). 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, theJ said:

we paid $500 for the service for a 1 bedroom apartment moving to a 3-bedroom house... was only about 2 blocks away... they organized closets and dishes, but didn't dust or clean or anything.

100% worth it. 

5 hours ago, theJ said:

We just have way more stuff. That was a relatively small place. Try doing a pack and move for a 2000 sq ft house and a garage filled with stuff (bc people in America don't use a garage for parking cars). 

For me in the video the service was the key component. I've never seen anything like that. Back when I was in the USA me and my then-girlfriend lived in a small studio apartment in San Francisco. When we moved, it was just two guys that showed up with a truck and just moved the items. That's fine of course. If this kind of thing was available in America for smaller places, I would have paid extra for it if it was reasonable. I can't imagine an American moving company notifying neighbors in a building that there will be noise due to a move-out. :) 

4 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

For me in the video the service was the key component. I've never seen anything like that. Back when I was in the USA me and my then-girlfriend lived in a small studio apartment in San Francisco. When we moved, it was just two guys that showed up with a truck and just moved the items. That's fine of course. If this kind of thing was available in America for smaller places, I would have paid extra for it if it was reasonable. I can't imagine an American moving company notifying neighbors in a building that there will be noise due to a move-out. :) 

You are probably correct there. 

Visiting a friend in Fort Worth, TX this October (well...I hope). 

I've never been to Texas. If it goes ahead, I'll do the DAL/FW area, want to go Austin and Houston also.

If @ET80 @Calvert28 and any other texas based posters can recommend anything in their respective areas, that would be sweet :) I like anything outdoors, anything party/booze related, food....the usual. And what can I expect the weather to be like at that time?

ET  - I already know about Rudys BBQ bud :D  also Franklin's in Austin I'm aware of

Calv  - I'm not even sure you're TX based, I just guessed...

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Visiting a friend in Fort Worth, TX this October (well...I hope). 

I've never been to Texas. If it goes ahead, I'll do the DAL/FW area, want to go Austin and Houston also.

If @ET80 @Calvert28 and any other texas based posters can recommend anything in their respective areas, that would be sweet :) I like anything outdoors, anything party/booze related, food....the usual. And what can I expect the weather to be like at that time?

ET  - I already know about Rudys BBQ bud :D  also Franklin's in Austin I'm aware of

Calv  - I'm not even sure you're TX based, I just guessed...

I'll start by saying it's about a 4.5 hour drive from Ft. Worth to Houston - but if you have a chance, come on down.

Let's skip the BBQ for a minute, and go into how Houston probably has the most diverse menu options of any city in the US - make sure to hit up Bellaire and go up and down the Vietnamese and Chinese areas; You'll find some of the best Dim sum offerings at places like Kim Son, and even better Vietnamese food at the various Pho houses in the area (you probably can't go three miles without finding a Pho place - I literally have three Pho places within a half mile of my house). October is outside of crawfish season, so you're missing out on that - but even if, you're doing it right if you're getting crab legs, oysters and lobster served Vietnamese style.

Indian food? I've sampled Indian food all over the Continent and Houston has two of the best places in the nation in Himilaya and Aga's:

http://himalayarestauranthouston.com/

https://www.agasrestaurant.com/

Pretty much every Indian restaurant here is very good with the basics, but these two are phenomenal no matter what you order. The grilled Goat chops at Aga's are like crack... my goodness.

Before he bought the Houston Rockets and before his Billion Dollar Buyer TV show, Tillman Fertitta had a knack for opening up some great Seafood and Steakhouses - Vic and Anthony's has become a bit too commercialized, but you simply cannot top their quality when it comes to dry aged steaks. You'll have other places that compete heavily with V/A's, such as Pappas Bros and Trulucks, but I personally like V/A's a bit more. 

Speaking of Pappas Bros - you can't go wrong with their other restaurants, such as Pappasitos (Mexican/Tex-Mex) Pappadeaux (southern/Cajun seafood) or Pappas Burgers (probably the best burgers in Houston). Pappadeaux is probably my favorite seafood place in Houston, they have a crawfish and lobster bisque that is incredible - just incredible. Pappasitos is actually a mid tier Tex-Mex joint (I'd suggest The Original Ninfa's, Lupe Tortillas or Lopez Restaurant) but they have 2 for 1 fajitas and some great margaritas with premium tequila...

Outside of that (before I go, ask @Glen and @Adrenaline_Flux about breakfast at Kelly's) if your scene is sitting outside on a patio with a pint of your favorite brew, check out either Baker St/Watson's ale house or the Flying Saucer, various locations around the city - Baker St is more of a traditional bar, but Flying Saucer is a beer garden style place with an obscene amount of beer options. If you're looking for a more lively crowd with plenty of "scenery" (ask @Dome) then you'll want to check out spots such as Kirby Ice House, Pitch 25, Truckyard, Woodrow's... These places have massive patios, outdoor games( Pitch 25 has indoor soccer fields and indoor axe throwing) and so many great food truck options (Woodrow's Midtown is known for the "Tamales Tamales Tamales" guy - if you end up going there, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about).

I'm sure there's more you can take in (NASA/Space Center Houston is always there to be observed) but here's a start. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

If you're looking for a more lively crowd with plenty of "scenery" (ask @Dome)

Yes, yes, it’s always yes.

This is like the 23rd time ET he asked me to confirm the existence, no... the abundance,  of beautiful women in the Houston-metro area.

@everyone, the women of Houston are beautiful, every day I grapple with the thought of quitting my job and moving to Houston to live as a homeless man so I can stare at the beautiful women on their way to work. 

The sun rises on Houston's beautiful women, it also sets on Houston’s beautiful women. I don’t know what more you need.

Edited by Dome
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dome said:

Yes, yes, it’s always yes.

This is like the 23rd time ET he asked me to confirm the existence, no... the abundance,  of beautiful women in the Houston-metro area.

@everyone, the women of Houston are beautiful, every day I grapple with the thought of quitting my job and moving to Houston to live as a homeless man so I can stare at the beautiful women on their way to work. 

The sun rises on Houston's beautiful women, it also sets on Houston’s beautiful women. I don’t know what more you need.

@Hunter2_1

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dome said:

This is like the 23rd time ET he asked me to confirm the existence, no the abundance,  of beautiful women in the Houston-metro area.

No one is going to believe me, @Dome. I'm a homer for Houston. You're the outside counsel I need to validate the statement.

2 minutes ago, Dome said:

the women of Houston are beautiful, every day I grapple with the thought of quitting my job and moving to Houston to live as a homeless man so I can stare at the beautiful women on their way to work

You'll never live homeless in Houston as long as I am alive - you'll have to sleep next to an elliptical machine and a stationary bike (I'm turning my guest room into a home gym to make sure nobody goes in that room) but it's a roof over your head.