Game of Thrones - Our Watch has Ended

pwny

I haven't seen a single episode of this show. I heard the ending is terrible. Does that mean I shouldn't bother watching the series or would that be a grave mistake? I meant to catch up on this series eventually, but hearing that the ending was so bad kind of makes me not want to invest my time. Thoughts?

3 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I haven't seen a single episode of this show. I heard the ending is terrible. Does that mean I shouldn't bother watching the series or would that be a grave mistake? I meant to catch up on this series eventually, but hearing that the ending was so bad kind of makes me not want to invest my time. Thoughts?

Watch it, the first 4 seasons are some of the best TV you'll ever see.   The ending isn't terrible, it was just rushed and less than less than it could have been. The are still some great moments in seasons 5 and 6 too.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

By all means watch the show.  The first 4 seasons are literally the best around.    Season 5-6 start to deviate from the same quality as the books are no longer there to use, but it's still at a high level.  Seasons 7-8 are incredibly fun to watch, because the spectacle gets ramped up - it's just that the writing and consistency have IMO rightfully been questioned.   As for the ending, judge for yourself.   Almost everyone agrees that S8 is rushed (and frankly it kinda started in S7), and I'm in the camp that much of the major plot twists weren't earned - the ending results aren't the issue as much as the lazy / inconsistent / contradictory writing that leads to those plot twists (the final twist being the one that kinda makes me chuckle in the fitting problems it presents, encapsulates S8 in a nutshell - but it also allows for the other main characters to achieve results that are more in line to the "best-case" outcome...so I'm still so torn - hate the mechanics and final choice for ruler...but how it enables other characters to end, I see why it's necessary - just such horribly lazy/contradictory writing to get there).

Hopefully by the time you catch up, we might get news of the books that will finish the original book arc.  Of course, if  you take your time and finish by 2022+, I like your chances more on that last count lol.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

Good thing is that HBO will probably never get involved in a series where the source material isn't finished again.  That was their mistake right at the beginning.  Literally none of these major problems would have happened if they'd just waited until they had the completed series. 

I'm still okay with it.  Could have been so much better, but I feel like the books will have the same ending, just with considerably better writing to get there.  Take your vitamin C and get on a treadmill, GRRM.  Hang in there for another 10 years to finish both books. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Still well worth the watch. I binge watched S1 today. As someone else said, the first four seasons are probably the greatest TV show of all time. And S5-S7 is some very quality TV that still beats any other show. Yeah, S8 sucked and was a rushed mess, but I still 100% recommend to watch. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Game of Thrones is such a good show that you should honestly watch the first 7 seasons and pretend the entire thing ends there. After that, there's really no point.

• Like 1

Watched the Bran in the past Tower of Joy Jon Snow is Aegon reveal scene last night.  It's such a powerful scene that I refuse to believe it's just to set up as a reason for Danaerys to snap and nothing else.  There has to be something more there.  If not, it just gets back to a bad narrative thread and storytelling.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

The ending is rushed, not terrible. There’s more to be gained watching it than, you are gaining by avoiding it entirely to avoid a quality dip towards the end. 

Its like most shows, started out insanely hot it cooled a bit towards the end when they were pushing everyone towards an endgame. However, while the scripts weren’t as tight at the end..... the last 3 seasons are the best production value you’ll ever see on a television show and it’s not really particularly close. Hell even this divisive season I would argue that we saw some of the leads give their outright best acting performances. Most people will acknowledge the end was rushed, the final outcomes were divisive. 

Its not like Dexter where everyone hated the ending, it’s not like Lost where they didn’t really give you an ending, it’s not like Seinfeld’s montage ending. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Good thing is that HBO will probably never get involved in a series where the source material isn't finished again.  That was their mistake right at the beginning.  Literally none of these major problems would have happened if they'd just waited until they had the completed series. 

I'm still okay with it.  Could have been so much better, but I feel like the books will have the same ending, just with considerably better writing to get there.  Take your vitamin C and get on a treadmill, GRRM.  Hang in there for another 10 years to finish both books. 

The big difference is that prophecy’s will be more apparent. 

The Azor Ahai/TPTWP prophecy occurred in the show. Just in reverse. They defeated the others, Azor Ahai (Jon) slayed his beloved, then the Iron Throne (a bunch of swords) glowed red and was unforged..

Also when it comes to the big points, I can almost guarantee you’ll get significant Jon, Tyrion, Dany POV’s in the aftermath of Kingslanding where what happened was dissected.

One thing I will say though, GRRM has two books to bring us from roughly the end of season 5 to the conclusion and he has about 4-5 additional significant plot lines on top of thT to resolve. So just as much will happen in a very short period of time 

13 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

Highgarden was taken for all its gold. How could bronn be the richest person?

The Reach’s value is that it’s one of the largest regions in the Seven Kingdoms and is abundant for crops. They provide the bulk of food for the realm. Whoever holds Highgarden won’t ever be poor for long. Casterly Rock’s gold supply ran out, that Kingdom is about to be a lot less valuable. 

10 hours ago, Blackstar12 said:

mrbx2jhj9zz21.png

Shame none of the prequels include Robert's Rebellion.

Agreed.  I get the reasoning of HBO and Martin, who thought it'd be impossible to make a successful adaptation when all the watchers know everything important that happens, but I wish they'd found a way to shoehorn in a flashback to the Trident at least.

21 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Agreed.  I get the reasoning of HBO and Martin, who thought it'd be impossible to make a successful adaptation when all the watchers know everything important that happens, but I wish they'd found a way to shoehorn in a flashback to the Trident at least.

The problem with the Rebellion is that the outcome has been drilled in our head over the course of the show. Also the big climax is the tower of joy scene which would almost need to use the same footage. 

Also where do you start it? Do you start at Harrenhal? That’s a 2-3 season show imo. Do you start earlier? Duskendale where Aerys starts going mad and you can show things like Ned and Robert’s friendship and the Lannister Twins. Maybe you extend it to the first Greyjoy Rebellion? 

Also you’re going to have to recast nearly every popular cast member. Ned, Robert, Jamie, Cersei, Tywin, child Tyrion, Barriston, Catelyn, Lysa, Stannis, Viserys. 

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Watched the Bran in the past Tower of Joy Jon Snow is Aegon reveal scene last night.  It's such a powerful scene that I refuse to believe it's just to set up as a reason for Danaerys to snap and nothing else.  There has to be something more there.  If not, it just gets back to a bad narrative thread and storytelling.

Nope. Entire point of Jon being a Targaryen and the rightful heir to the throne was to be a plot device to assist in Dany becoming mad. Are your expectations subverted yet?

The only way Robert's Rebellion could work as a show is if the stories we've been told (at least some of them) are a lie.  Something more than Robert just killed Rhaegar, something else happened but the legend took hold.  And many more instances as well.

2 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

The only way Robert's Rebellion could work as a show is if the stories we've been told (at least some of them) are a lie.  Something more than Robert just killed Rhaegar, something else happened but the legend took hold.  And many more instances as well.

That would be awesome. Like Stannis with Melisandre. Roberts whole basis wasnt Lyanna. But prophecy of doom brought on by Rhaegar/Targs. And why he became so irate about wiping all Targs from Plantos.