2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

3 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

None of which were considered Generational talents in their perspective draft classes. Just because they became one it doesn't mean they were viewed as one on draft day.

I'm assuming they were picked because the GM's that picked them considered them to be the best players available.  I think that's what @Arthur Penske was getting at?

3 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

None of which were considered Generational talents in their perspective draft classes. Just because they became one it doesn't mean they were viewed as one on draft day.

Randy Moss wasn't? Pretty sure he was but had way too many character concerns. 

6 hours ago, PACKRULE said:

This play was funny but last year he didn't do anything of the sort. He seems to be bright enough to know when to and when not. HIs play last year was flat out great more often the not. He contested about everything and shows what you want in a DB. Very willing tackler also in the run game.

You're right, I saw a young, bright and confident #23 out there this year. He was easily one of the best out there on D all year long. 

9 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

No, it's just a fact.  Yeah, my strategy would have missed on Clay Matthews. 

My strategy also would have avoided Datone Jones and given us Harrison Smith over Nick Perry. 

You keep pointing to what would have been my misses while neglecting the fact that 7/19 ILB drafted in the past 10 years have been HARD busts, that only ONE taken in the top 20 turned out to have been the best pick (Mosely) and that 6 more were injury/character busts. 

How far back did you have to go to bring up Reynolds and Holliday?  You had to go back into a different era of football where what I'm saying makes less sense.  It made exponentially more sense to draft a WR in 1998 than it does in even 2008, much less 2018. 

Do you think my opinions are in some sort of vacuum and that they aren't based on the NFL as it is? 

In the 90's, ILB was probably more important than CB.  Now?  Not.

Your "bust" list for ILB stunk. Darron Lee, Ryan Shazier, Shaq Thomson busts? Lol

Most of the busts came from 2008-2009, that's why you went back that far, also included a true EDGE bust in Marcus Smith to pad the numbers.

1st round ILB has been extremely safe as of late. Reuben Foster and Anthony are the two trees busts, both fell to the end of round 1 for the very reason they busted for. 

6 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

Agreed, there are some "value position" nazis on this board. If it isn't a Edge, Corner, LT, or QB in round 1, they'll complain and come up with some type of justification that there are 3-5 instances of position X panning out between picks 31-70 in the last 10 years and it is more important to trade down.

Trying to take an extreme and paint it as the standard couldn't be anymore from the truth.  Would you take a kicker or punter in the first round?  No you wouldn't, which proves that positional value is absolutely part of the equation.  There's varying levels of positional value.  The difference between a QB is closer to EDGE than EDGE is to say RB.  If I'm looking to take a RB, it needs to be exponentially better than the EDGE.  What you (and others) are arguing is that this somehow crazy hypothetical where we're sitting on the board with RBs, OGs, and ILBs that are multiple tiers ahead of an EDGE, DL, or OT.  As it's been discussed ad nauseam, the chances of that happening are miniscule and would provide ample opportunities to trade down.  And I'd think most would argue that a third round pick (or whatever they'd trade down and acquire) gives the Packers an extra pick to play with.  A pick in the late teens with a Day 2 pick to me is more valuable than taking an ILB or OG at 12.

6 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Moss sure was, his concerns were character wise. Only athlete similar to Moss is since that draft is MVS IIRC

I'm not going to pretend that I paid attention to the draft, but I don't think he was viewed as that elite of a prospect.  And character issues are part of the evaluation, so he isn't an elite prospect by that means.  Can't seem to find the athletic numbers with any sort of confidence.  I'd argue that Calvin Johnson was a much better athlete than MVS.

Moss didn't just have character concerns from what I understand. There were also issues with his perceived route running and the level of competition he was facing at Marshall. 

It wasn't that Moss had a whole bunch of red flags on his scouting report, it was just that there were a whole lot of question marks. 

20 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Moss didn't just have character concerns from what I understand. There were also issues with his perceived route running and the level of competition he was facing at Marshall. 

It wasn't that Moss had a whole bunch of red flags on his scouting report, it was just that there were a whole lot of question marks. 

IIRC. He also had an assault charge from high school.  Wouldn't even been invited to the combine now...….

57 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not going to pretend that I paid attention to the draft, but I don't think he was viewed as that elite of a prospect.  And character issues are part of the evaluation, so he isn't an elite prospect by that means.  Can't seem to find the athletic numbers with any sort of confidence.  I'd argue that Calvin Johnson was a much better athlete than MVS.

C’mon man, can you seriously watch Moss play football then manage to convince yourself he wasn’t an elite prospect just to try and prove a point? 

Archived