2019 Draft Discussion

jleisher

3 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

not buying this at all for thornhill 

I watched his 2018 highlights last night and he’s far more impressive against the run than he is in coverage. All but 1 of his INTs he could’ve caught while sitting on a lawn chair on the field.  The other was an under-thrown deep ball that landed right in his arms.  He did look good diagnosing running plays and attacking the runner tho. 

1 minute ago, rcon14 said:

So either a) He has never run the 3C in his life b) He's never run the 3C on that surface or c) He can't change directions. The first two would be... shocking.

It's LA Tech dude, not Bama, he's running outside in the heat on a surface that's probably 10x as slick as what the big school guys get in their big AC filled practice domes. It's the biggest job interview of his life and he can't keep his footing on one of the most important parts of the interview. Wouldn't surprise me if he's not having a mental breakdown after a run or two putting myself in his shoes.

As I said earlier, I'm using a visit on him, putting him through my drills. The size and play style are perfect for Pettine but you've got to be able to bend a bit. 

3 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

So either a) He has never run the 3C in his life b) He's never run the 3C on that surface or c) He can't change directions. The first two would be... shocking.

Would the first two be shocking? I know a lot of these guys do combine training, but some really do just focus on trying to improve as football players.

19 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

I watched his 2018 highlights last night and he’s far more impressive against the run than he is in coverage. All but 1 of his INTs he could’ve caught while sitting on a lawn chair on the field.  The other was an under-thrown deep ball that landed right in his arms.  He did look good diagnosing running plays and attacking the runner tho. 

I agree on his coverage.  From I've seen he doesn't have very good ball skills.  For a guy with a 40+ inch vertical he doesn't use it at all on qthe field, he just stands there and waits for the ball to fall in his arms.

As for run support, he'll stick his face in there but he's a pretty lousy tackler.  He just dives at people's knees (never wraps up) and often drops his head.  That might work a lot in college, but in the NFL guys will either just side step him or run him over.  I'm really not impressed with him from what I've watched of his game tape, although he'd probably still be better than what we had last year, which really isn't saying much.

10 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

A thing to keep in mind- Houston was playing him out of position at nose tackle.  Realistically you can line him up anywhere from 3 to 9 and it'll work; he can probably play 2 or 3 of the LB positions too.  Green Bay is not looking for another nose tackle.

Okay....here we go. Exactly what I didnt want to do this year - get tuned in to a bunch of highlight videos! :) But as we talked earlier, I checked out Oliver - and impressions:

Looks small for a DL/DT - but watching the tape, he looks like somebody I've seen play live - Aaron Donald. But no - I'm not going there! Donald's one of the best DLineman in the entire NFL and I'm not anointing this guy the second coming after watching just one flick.....but he sure does look (and play) like him.

So I check the stats and sure enough - on paper's he's a clone: Oliver - 6'2 / 290 - Donald - 6/1 / 280

So what gives? Does HOU play in an easy/easier Conference (?) and he's simply playing like a man amongst boys? These were HIGHLIGHTS after all - but he looks to be quick as a cat - yet can take on and split double teams. Is his size gonna translate to the next level (?) or is he gonna get eaten up?

Also - in reading about him it said he injured his knee in 2018. Whats the deal with that?

Bottom line: I hate watching highlight videos! LOL

I still want Burns at 12....but my confidence has been shaken :)

The Draft Network - just one guy's opinion - but fairly high praise:

"Ed Oliver's ability to penetrate with quickness off the snap and utilize his hands to play through contact makes him an ideal fit as a three-technique in a 4-3 alignment. While he lacks size, Oliver plays with tremendous leverage and offers the play strength needed to exchange power on the interior. By year three, Oliver has the upside to become one of the NFL's premier defensive playmakers against the run and pass"

Another TDN synopsis:

"Ed Oliver projects cleanly as a 3T starting interior DL in the NFL. Oliver has superb penetration ability and can be a true asset on passing downs to collapse the pocket and disrupt passer visuals. Oliver will require an aggressive system, however. Tasking him with playing along the line of scrimmage will negate his burst and hinder his ability to get off of blocks"

"For years Ed Oliver has been heralded as no. 1 overall pick material, but the lack of improvement during his junior year is pretty troubling despite his unreal athletic gifts. Powerful, explosive and capable of winning the leverage battle on every rep, Oliver isn't where he needs to be in terms of production because of his lack of mental processing in the run game and rush plan on passing downs.

Those things can be improved upon for sure, and there is no doubt Oliver's ceiling is sky-high in a league gravitating toward smaller interior defensive linemen. His size isn't a major issue by itself, but when you couple it with some of his balance concerns on the interior and the fact he hasn't faced any elite offensive line play in his college tenure, it's fair to be a little worried.

Two things could help him right away in the NFL: fixing his stance and putting him at 3-technique, rather than at the nose where Houston often played him. At the end of the day, Oliver is far too explosive with freakish strength and movement skills to not take a chance on, but we need to acknowledge that he is definitely a risk; a risk that might not be worth taking in the top ten of the 2019 NFL Draft"

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

It's LA Tech dude, not Bama, he's running outside in the heat on a surface that's probably 10x as slick as what the big school guys get in their big AC filled practice domes. It's the biggest job interview of his life and he can't keep his footing on one of the most important parts of the interview. Wouldn't surprise me if he's not having a mental breakdown after a run or two putting myself in his shoes.

As I said earlier, I'm using a visit on him, putting him through my drills. The size and play style are perfect for Pettine but you've got to be able to bend a bit. 

Nugget:

“Several defensive line coaches from the Detroit Lions, Miami Dolphins, Green Bay Packers among others directly worked out Ferguson as well as fellow defensive line Jordan Bradford and Immanuel Turner in pass rush drills.”

https://www.thenewsstar.com/story/sports/college/louisiana-tech/2019/03/19/jaylon-ferguson-nothing-lose-louisiana-tech-pro-day/3218126002/

14 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I don't know how we as fans give Adderley anything other than an INC grade. There's just not enough tape out there to really get a good grasp of what he's got going on.

There's 3 games of his on YouTube.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Okay....here we go. Exactly what I didnt want to do this year - get tuned in to a bunch of highlight videos! :) But as we talked earlier, I checked out Oliver - and impressions:

Looks small for a DL/DT - but watching the tape, he looks like somebody I've seen play live - Aaron Donald. But no - I'm not going there! Donald's one of the best DLineman in the entire NFL and I'm not anointing this guy the second coming after watching just one flick.....but he sure does look (and play) like him.

So I check the stats and sure enough - on paper's he's a clone: Oliver - 6'2 / 290 - Donald - 6/1 / 280

So what gives? Does HOU play in an easy/easier Conference (?) and he's simply playing like a man amongst boys? These were HIGHLIGHTS after all - but he looks to be quick as a cat - yet can take on and split double teams. Is his size gonna translate to the next level (?) or is he gonna get eaten up?

Also - in reading about him it said he injured his knee in 2018. Whats the deal with that?

Bottom line: I hate watching highlight videos! LOL

I still want Burns at 12....but my confidence has been shaken :)

The Draft Network - just one guy's opinion - but fairly high praise:

"Ed Oliver's ability to penetrate with quickness off the snap and utilize his hands to play through contact makes him an ideal fit as a three-technique in a 4-3 alignment. While he lacks size, Oliver plays with tremendous leverage and offers the play strength needed to exchange power on the interior. By year three, Oliver has the upside to become one of the NFL's premier defensive playmakers against the run and pass"

Another TDN synopsis:

"Ed Oliver projects cleanly as a 3T starting interior DL in the NFL. Oliver has superb penetration ability and can be a true asset on passing downs to collapse the pocket and disrupt passer visuals. Oliver will require an aggressive system, however. Tasking him with playing along the line of scrimmage will negate his burst and hinder his ability to get off of blocks"

"For years Ed Oliver has been heralded as no. 1 overall pick material, but the lack of improvement during his junior year is pretty troubling despite his unreal athletic gifts. Powerful, explosive and capable of winning the leverage battle on every rep, Oliver isn't where he needs to be in terms of production because of his lack of mental processing in the run game and rush plan on passing downs.

Those things can be improved upon for sure, and there is no doubt Oliver's ceiling is sky-high in a league gravitating toward smaller interior defensive linemen. His size isn't a major issue by itself, but when you couple it with some of his balance concerns on the interior and the fact he hasn't faced any elite offensive line play in his college tenure, it's fair to be a little worried.

Two things could help him right away in the NFL: fixing his stance and putting him at 3-technique, rather than at the nose where Houston often played him. At the end of the day, Oliver is far too explosive with freakish strength and movement skills to not take a chance on, but we need to acknowledge that he is definitely a risk; a risk that might not be worth taking in the top ten of the 2019 NFL Draft"

Before the season he was a toss up with Bosa for going #1 overall. Difference is when Bosa got hurt he quit. Oliver was played out of position and took it easy.

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/11084-nick-bosa-vs-ed-oliver/

Archived