Movies & TV News/Buzz Thread

Acgott

18 hours ago, D82 said:

They cancelled Santa Clarita DietOzark is about to end...a lot of their other good series have ended. Once Stranger Things is finished, I'm probably going to cancel as well.

This certainly does NOT help:

20 hours ago, D82 said:

They cancelled Santa Clarita DietOzark is about to end...a lot of their other good series have ended. Once Stranger Things is finished, I'm probably going to cancel as well.

yeah their strategy is so weird, I get funding a ton of stuff to have things coming out every month.
But the overall goal was to create IP that people come back for.

For them to just cancel most of them unceremoniously just spits in the face of that.

What sucks is Netflix being it's own entity was a good thing for the space.
If they continue to fail and get bought out or become irrelevant, we just go back to the same companies who run everything and they can just keep raises rates back up to peak cable level. They'll all come for that $15ish dollars Netflix leaves on the monthly table.

If Netflix does continue to fall I'm curious which route they go, this ad tier will buoy things financially for a bit but undercut the brand. As will continually breaking up seasons to get at least two months out of people.

- So do they try to go for more blockbuster properties/projects a year and less small things, filling it in with more cheap to make documentaries and reality/competition shows

- Go for an early sell and read the writing on the wall. 
Plenty of companies would be interested in that depreciated asset.

• Comcast - Peacock will always be at the bottom of streamers and cable is going to be dealt further blows with sports packages finally being free. Putting Peacock's catalog back into Netflix gives it a deeper roster of fan favorite content. Probably copying Hulu with a Live TV option. Then owning IP like Stranger Things can be uses in Universal Parks too on the little perks side of things.
  • Any of the current streamers - Stripmine the IP and take a big competitor off the board.
  • Microsoft - Currently one of the few megacorps not in the streaming wars and have some of the most disposable income year to year to buy and run Netflix. This would also pair well with their Gamepass efforts from Xbox. One of the next moves for Gamepass is to get their app to stream games everywhere they can, if they can push that into Netflix which is everywhere it makes it a lot easier.
  • Google - Gets them into the market, the cache of Netflix's name probably helps stave off the Google acquisition curse like Youtube did.
  • Facebook - Dystopic future, Zuck would take in all that metadata like a trade broker in the 80s would coke.
  • Mega corps from China would get shot down, would push even more people off.

Overall just a weird time, not sure where it goes or how fast a change is made.

2 hours ago, Kiltman said:

yeah their strategy is so weird, I get funding a ton of stuff to have things coming out every month.
But the overall goal was to create IP that people come back for.

For them to just cancel most of them unceremoniously just spits in the face of that.

What sucks is Netflix being it's own entity was a good thing for the space.
If they continue to fail and get bought out or become irrelevant, we just go back to the same companies who run everything and they can just keep raises rates back up to peak cable level. They'll all come for that $15ish dollars Netflix leaves on the monthly table.

If Netflix does continue to fall I'm curious which route they go, this ad tier will buoy things financially for a bit but undercut the brand. As will continually breaking up seasons to get at least two months out of people.

- So do they try to go for more blockbuster properties/projects a year and less small things, filling it in with more cheap to make documentaries and reality/competition shows

- Go for an early sell and read the writing on the wall. 
Plenty of companies would be interested in that depreciated asset.

• Comcast - Peacock will always be at the bottom of streamers and cable is going to be dealt further blows with sports packages finally being free. Putting Peacock's catalog back into Netflix gives it a deeper roster of fan favorite content. Probably copying Hulu with a Live TV option. Then owning IP like Stranger Things can be uses in Universal Parks too on the little perks side of things.
  • Any of the current streamers - Stripmine the IP and take a big competitor off the board.
  • Microsoft - Currently one of the few megacorps not in the streaming wars and have some of the most disposable income year to year to buy and run Netflix. This would also pair well with their Gamepass efforts from Xbox. One of the next moves for Gamepass is to get their app to stream games everywhere they can, if they can push that into Netflix which is everywhere it makes it a lot easier.
  • Google - Gets them into the market, the cache of Netflix's name probably helps stave off the Google acquisition curse like Youtube did.
  • Facebook - Dystopic future, Zuck would take in all that metadata like a trade broker in the 80s would coke.
  • Mega corps from China would get shot down, would push even more people off.

Overall just a weird time, not sure where it goes or how fast a change is made.

So the ad thing is real? Is it for lower-tier pricing or for every package? 

If they're doing ads, I'm definitely cancelling. I'll just find another way to watch the final season of Stranger Things.

52 minutes ago, D82 said:

So the ad thing is real? Is it for lower-tier pricing or for every package? 

If they're doing ads, I'm definitely cancelling. I'll just find another way to watch the final season of Stranger Things.

a new low tier supposedly, not all of them.
Will try to capitalize on the people they try to kick off other people's netflix

On 4/20/2022 at 5:31 AM, D82 said:

They left far too many series unfinished. It was bound to bite them in the *** at some point.

I don't get the Netflix hate, still a ton of stuff on there I like and while the series' might be in a lull, they'll come out with some new stuff.  They need to not be so impatient with series that don't blow up though, no argument there.  Not every series needs to be a cultural phenomenon. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I don't get the Netflix hate, still a ton of stuff on there I like and while the series' might be in a lull, they'll come out with some new stuff.  They need to not be so impatient with series that don't blow up though, no argument there.  Not every series needs to be a cultural phenomenon. 

I think they really shoot themselves in the foot with the dump it all out at once format. It's difficult for some shows to gain viewership, when even the popular ones get talked about for less than a month and the ones that aren't as popular, get canceled because there's no chance to add viewers since the whole season is consumed and judged before many people have a chance to watch it. Why bother with this 13 episode series that came out last week and everyone watched and is done talking about already? Binging the office is one thing, give new shows room to breathe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

I think they really shoot themselves in the foot with the dump it all out at once format. It's difficult for some shows to gain viewership, when even the popular ones get talked about for less than a month and the ones that aren't as popular, get canceled because there's no chance to add viewers since the whole season is consumed and judged before many people have a chance to watch it. Why bother with this 13 episode series that came out last week and everyone watched and is done talking about already? Binging the office is one thing, give new shows room to breathe.

Think the 3 week staggered release is a good move, or just half now and half in a week. Let’s the show really take over headlines for a week or two. 

Still would rather whatever they do over getting dragged back to week to week like almost every other service is doing.