Movies & TV News/Buzz Thread

Acgott

4 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

Meh, could be addition by subtraction tbh. The SNL cast has been terrible for 20 years.

Well probably closer to 15 but the point remains.

Nah, 20 sounds about right. SNL hasn’t been good for a long time.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

Meh, could be addition by subtraction tbh. The SNL cast has been terrible for 20 years.

You were right the first time.

They have had a few funny cast members over the years, but collectively its been trash.

I remember a few years ago I watched a Christmas SNL special that was showing old and newer Christmas skits.    70s, 80s and 90s all had some hilarious stuff, but I was honestly getting mad during the newer skits due to how painfully unfunny they were.   

In fairness, you cant JUST blame the talent.   Yes, Pete Davidson and Kate McKinnon are extremely cringey on their own, but even if you had all time all stars like Chris Farley, Eddie Murphy and Jim Belushi, I dont think they could make the writing funny.

They just dont get comedically gifted talent on that show anymore, on or off camera.   Plus, much like the late shows, they are more about pushing politics than making people laugh anymore.

11 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

SNL has been pretty hit and miss since its conception.

Of their recent episodes, i felt that their pretaped segments were consistently better than their live ones

As far as sketch comedy goes, SNL has never been better (even in the 70s) than I Think You Should Leave, The Whitest Kids You Know, or Bob and David

Edited by Malfatron

20 minutes ago, 43M said:

You were right the first time.

They have had a few funny cast members over the years, but collectively its been trash.

I remember a few years ago I watched a Christmas SNL special that was showing old and newer Christmas skits.    70s, 80s and 90s all had some hilarious stuff, but I was honestly getting mad during the newer skits due to how painfully unfunny they were.   

In fairness, you cant JUST blame the talent.   Yes, Pete Davidson and Kate McKinnon are extremely cringey on their own, but even if you had all time all stars like Chris Farley, Eddie Murphy and Jim Belushi, I dont think they could make the writing funny.

They just dont get comedically gifted talent on that show anymore, on or off camera.   Plus, much like the late shows, they are more about pushing politics than making people laugh anymore.

It’s not even about pushing politics. SNL, MadTV, etc. all had some skits that were political…but that wasn’t all they were about. Now it seems that’s what the majority of their stuff is, and it gets old. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

SNL has been pretty hit and miss since its conception.

Of their recent episodes, i felt that their pretaped segments were consistently better than their live ones

As far as sketch comedy goes, SNL has never been better (even in the 70s) than I Think You Should Leave, The Whitest Kids You Know, or Bob and David

Id take madtv and in living color over SNL

4 hours ago, D82 said:

It’s not even about pushing politics. SNL, MadTV, etc. all had some skits that were political…but that wasn’t all they were about. Now it seems that’s what the majority of their stuff is, and it gets old. 

Oh, I completely agree with that.   I didnt mind the political stuff 10-20 years ago.   They went after EVERYONE back then and they prioritized the comedy heavily over politics.   They were trying to be funny, above all else.    Now, they either arent trying or pushing their own views has taken precedence over everything else by a rather wide margin.     And its not a matter of whether you agree with things they say or not.....when I (and I assume MOST people) turn on the TV thats not the news, I expect to be entertained, or at least an attempt to entertain.

God I miss the late 90s - early 2000s with all the late night stuff back then.     It was actually worth staying up to watch.     MadTV was so underrated.     Will Sasso, Michael McDonald, Aries Spears, Mo Collins, Debra Wilson, Bobby Lee, etc.....were a far better cast than anything SNL had after Chris Farley passed.

1 hour ago, 43M said:

Oh, I completely agree with that.   I didnt mind the political stuff 10-20 years ago.   They went after EVERYONE back then and they prioritized the comedy heavily over politics.   They were trying to be funny, above all else.    Now, they either arent trying or pushing their own views has taken precedence over everything else by a rather wide margin.     And its not a matter of whether you agree with things they say or not.....when I (and I assume MOST people) turn on the TV thats not the news, I expect to be entertained, or at least an attempt to entertain.

God I miss the late 90s - early 2000s with all the late night stuff back then.     It was actually worth staying up to watch.     MadTV was so underrated.     Will Sasso, Michael McDonald, Aries Spears, Mo Collins, Debra Wilson, Bobby Lee, etc.....were a far better cast than anything SNL had after Chris Farley passed.

Yup. South Park kinda went the same way too unfortunately.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, D82 said:

Yup. South Park kinda went the same way too unfortunately.

South Park, Family Guy, Simpsons....so many others.

At least South Park and Family Guy still have MOMENTS that make me laugh pretty hard.     Last SNL skit Ive seen that even made me crack a smile was over 10 years ago.      Granted Ive only watched maybe a total of 5 hours of SNL stuff from the last decade, but I also havent watched a ton of South Park or Family Guy since 2013 or so.

Fortunately, there are tons of old SNL, MadTV, In Living Color, WKUK, Chappelle Show, Conan OBrien, etc....stuff on YouTube and elsewhere to remind how good late night comedy (and comedy in general) USED to be.

Edited by 43M

43 minutes ago, 43M said:

elsewhere to remind how good late night comedy (and comedy in general) USED to be.

Comedy is still alive and well. There has been some good stuff the last few years.

Late night network comedy was never really much good on the whole

p20117218_b_h8_ab.jpg?w=960&h=540

5180PEpLs8L._AC_SY780_.jpg

MV5BYWQwMDNkM2MtODU4OS00OTY3LTgwOTItNjE2

MV5BODk2NjAyOWMtM2FjZC00MjZhLTkxMjQtZTM3

A1mRQW+wssL._RI_.jpg

1 hour ago, 43M said:

South Park, Family Guy, Simpsons....so many others.

At least South Park and Family Guy still have MOMENTS that make me laugh pretty hard.     Last SNL skit Ive seen that even made me crack a smile was over 10 years ago.      Granted Ive only watched maybe a total of 5 hours of SNL stuff from the last decade, but I also havent watched a ton of South Park or Family Guy since 2013 or so.

Fortunately, there are tons of old SNL, MadTV, In Living Color, WKUK, Chappelle Show, Conan OBrien, etc....stuff on YouTube and elsewhere to remind how good late night comedy (and comedy in general) USED to be.

South Park is still really good.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

Comedy is still alive and well. There has been some good stuff the last few years.

Im not saying you cant find it here and there, but its certainly not anywhere close to where is used to be.

7 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

Late night network comedy was never really much good on the whole

I wouldnt say "never".    Several shows had glory years and eventually faded.   At the very least they were largely focused on comedy even if they werent always funny.

As for the shows....the only one Ive seen so far there is The Boys, and I dont get why you listed that for comedy.   Yes, there are some funny moments, but thats still a huge reach.   That would be like calling the Die Hard movies comedies because of the humor in those.