Stock Investing

rickyt31

CCIV doing phenomenal. Also,

LITE wow. Thought the google contract would shoot this bad boy up. Sometimes great news isn’t always good news. Lesson learned. Maybe they should have said they’ll be doing Kim Kardashians optic fiber and this stock would have shot up 420.69%

26 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I just can’t get into this stuff, probably because I can’t access things in a timely fashion at work. You guys do you, but don’t mess up my other investments. My mutual funds are killing it and I’m almost back to the level they were when I made the down payment on my house despite everything that I weathered last year. 

I feel like you buried the lede. To me, the bigger story is that you saved for a house downpayment by sitting on your butt for a year.

Nicely done!

• Like 3

So once all this fun is over i am interested in getting into more traditional, safe long term investing.  I already have a Roth IRA through work that i contribute $500 a month to (started roughly 6.5 years ago) and i plan on increasing my contributions to that soon.  

How do i get into index funds?  Recommendations?  I’m definitely a noob on this so all advice is appreciated.

edit:  this is of course assuming i don’t become a billionaire from dogecoin and buy the Chicago bears franchise.

26 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This shouldn’t be an “investment” for anyone. This is gambling/speculating/thumbing your nose at wall street.

I joined late, and only did it because I saw how upset the predatory money-movers got when Reddit crashed their swanky old boys' collusion club.

Edited by SwAg
boys
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I feel like you buried the lede. To me, the bigger story is that you saved for a house downpayment by sitting on your butt for a year.

Nicely done!

8 years of living with my grandmother and having next to no expenses really helped with that. I invested just about all of that. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

So once all this fun is over i am interested in getting into more traditional, safe long term investing.  I already have a Roth IRA through work that i contribute $500 a month to (started roughly 6.5 years ago) and i plan on increasing my contributions to that soon.  

How do i get into index funds?  Recommendations?  I’m definitely a noob on this so all advice is appreciated.

Hell yeah dude - good for you.

I'd start here: WSB is insane but the wiki and FAQs in the reddit personalfinance is a goldmine of good advice. I haven't see a better one size fits all flowchart for how to manage your money:

lSoUQr2.png

For you, this isn't gonna be perfect. But hit us up with any specific questions you may have as you google some of these terms and we'll help you out for sure.

For my rothIRA and HSA, I use Fidelity. Since they are long term funds and I don't pay taxes on the growth, I have them at 100% mutual funds. (EDIT: My total allocation is 95/5 index funds/bonds, but we can get there eventually.)

They have a bunch of fund types that aim to mimic total sectors of the US market. I've recommend FZROX here before (https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/summary/31635T708), it's a total US stock market index fund with no minimums or expense ratios. Otherwise, there are plenty of funds that will perform pretty much the same. 

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, SwAg said:

I joined late, and only did it because I saw how upset the predatory money-movers got when Reddit crashed their swanky old boys' collusion club.

Same, this isn’t my thing typically at all.  I’m 100% index funds with the exception of my ESPP/401k/IRA.

The corrupt BS kinked a hair in my arse last night and I’m in just to watch stuff burn.  If I lose my entire “investment” it won’t impact me at all.

I wish everyone who could would buy a few shares just as a signal that we, the working class, are tired of being shat upon.

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES