how much longer does hue jackson last  

68 members have voted

1. 1. title says it all

• doesnt make it on the plane
    • bye week
    • end of season
    • never gets fired, coaches week 1 next year

13 hours ago, footbull3196 said:

I think Browns fans are just looking for someone to scapegoat at this point.  The next coach you guys get is going to be the exact same rinse-wash-repeat.  It's been like that for the last decade plus, and I completely understand your frustration and intolerance of losing at this point, but whats the excuse going to be when the next coach is stuck with horrible draft class after horrible draft class?  Who will be to blame then?

1 no you don’t understand our frustration with being 3-35-1 in the last three years

2 you think we’re scapegoating THE ONLY DUDE LEFT FROM THE ORIGINAL INCARNATION OF THE MONEYBALL BROWNS? Only reason he’s on the hot seat now is cause he can’t delegate and anyone he did delegate to he fired.

oh and from hues personal national mouthpiece on whether or not hue wanted wentz on the team 

https://mobile.twitter.com/mikesilver/status/778296618143449088?lang=en

On 10/23/2018 at 1:47 AM, footbull3196 said:

I mean he wasnt the only one that was pushing for Baker to sit and learn for a while.  Dorsey even said during the offseason that he was open to an extension for Tyrod if he played well enough.  Obviously you knew that wasnt going to happen and it's pretty clear that Dorsey was just saying the politically correct thing, but I dont think naming Mayfield the starting QB in Week 4 is exactly stunting his development.  He's a rookie quarterback, there are obviously going to be ups and downs even with a 1st overall pick

Oh no question, whenever he started was never going to stunt his development, but it could have made a big difference in the Browns' season this year.  I appreciate that Dorsey and Jackson had decided to sit Mayfield to start the season, but my problem with Jackson is that he never even gave Baker a chance to compete in training camp.  He could at least have given him reps with the ones and allowed him to push Taylor in practices (even if he never intended to start him for the season), but to not even allow Baker to practice with the starters (or play with them in the preseason at all) just seems very out of touch, regardless of whatever their plans were when they drafted him.

If I am reading this schedule right, the Browns have a late bye at week 11. They have to play the Steelers in Pittsburgh and then play the Mahomes led Chiefs and ATL.

If they fail to win any of these, which is quite possible considering the firepower on those offenses, I would bet he gets canned and they use the bye week to get the interim up to speed.

For those who think Hue's a scapegoat, they're not paying attention.

Let's recap:

1.  Hue didn't object at all to passing on Wentz, or Watson.   So he can't lay the problems of not finding QB on Sashi Brown alone.   He was the HC and supposed O guru.  He said it was fine to pass on both, no objections.

2.  This offseason, Jarvis Landry AND OC Todd Haley,  both new, on different occasions, told the team / Hue that they needed to get tougher, and not take practices off.  EPIC speech on Hard Knocks by Landry, convo between Haley & Hue.  Hue's response both times?  He said the players shouldn't practice so much, they risk getting hurt.  And that Landry really "needs to understand how we do things around here".   WTF?   Anyone who saw the speeches...well, I'll let you all decide who's right, coming off a 1-31 2-year run and 0-16 season.  Yeah, Landry should learn how CLE does things.  Because, 0-16 teams really shouldn't risk injury in trying to y'know, learn how to play better as a unit in practice, so they can actually win games.   SMH.

I can't post the youtube link because of the expletives (Webby's rules), but here's the transcript - if you can, make sure you see the ACTUAL video:

"I don't know what the f--- has been going on here," Landry said. "And I don't know why it's been going on here. But, if you're not hurting, if your hamstring isn't falling off the f---ing bone, your leg ain't broke, I don't know, you should be f---ing practicing. Like, straight up, that s--- is weakness. And that s--- is contagious as f---. That s--- ain't gonna be in this room, bruh. That s--- been in here in the past and that's why the past has been like it is, bruh. That s--- is over with, bruh. If you're gonna f---ing practice, f---ing practice."

(Landry's statements came 2-3 days after Haley and Hue disagreed on the players taking practices off.   Instead of recognizing leadership, and maybe recognizing Haley and Landry had great points, something any good leader is willing to do..... Hue torpedoed Landry's message, saying he needed to learn how CLE does things first....wow).

3.  Last year, Hue directly impacted the games with stupid play-call / roster decisions such as:

-Having Duke Johnson on the sidelines on key 3rd/4th down passing situations - for Isiaih Crowell. 

-Deciding Jabril Peppers should try FS - when he's clearly a SS.

-Deciding to keep Deshone Kizer as his starting QB, even when he amassed 10 TO's inside the opponent's 5-yard line.  TEN.    For those that said he didn't draft him - he didn't have to keep starting him, anyone (yes, even Kevin Hogan and Cody Kessler) would have done better than that.   But week in, week out, it was Kizer.

-Huge blunder play calls such as calling for a QB sneak from the opponent's 2-yard ine - with less than 20 secs to go in the 1H and no TO’s left.  Failed sneak (duh), can't get on the field in time for a FG...not even close.  

And that's just the obvious stuff.  Browns fans can point to so many more instances of his complete ineptitude at stuff that..well, HC's are supposed to do.

4.  Of course, we shouldn't forget that Hue & Haslem orchestrated the 2.1 for AJ McCarron trade - and then got Haslem to fire Sashi Brown for being the one smart guy in the room who realized that was an awful deal.    And of course, the other 31 teams agreed, since McCarron could only sign as a backup at 5M/1 year in FA...with BUF.     And remember, this is the guy who wanted Brock Osweiler to stay on the roster, when he was asked if Brock had done enough to stay on the team in the preseason, his answer?  "Ask Sashi".   Which brings me to...

5.  The dude has ZERO accountability.  It's always someone else's fault.  Which is a funny notion when you are the HC.   This week, now, of course, what do we hear?   "I need to take over an O when I know it can be better".  Well, news flash - he was calling the O when CLE was 1-31 the last 2 years. 

Hue's really great at throwing others under the bus - Sashi Brown for nixing the AJ McCarron deal, and releasing Brock Osweiler (both completely vindicated), and Todd Haley for "play calling issues now".  It's his MO from his OAK days.  But he's the one who should have been fired, not Sashi Brown.  I mean, the HC is where the buck stops, and everything above was completely under Hue's direct control.   But,  at least his time is coming up.  Because really, there's no one left to blame. 

So yeah, the Browns would absolutely benefit from a different HC.   Last year, you put in a guy who has a clue at HC, they win at least 2 of the 7 games that they lost by 6 points or less.   Anyone who thinks it would be more of the same,  well, they're not watching the games (to be fair, who can blame them, but it's also a completely inaccurate statement to say Hue's not the problem - he's a huuuuuuge part of the problem).

47 minutes ago, tab said:

it feels like this coaching staff is actively making this team worse and i cant believe im saying that about a team that went 0-16 last year

I would think a better way of stating is the coaching staff is hindering the growth of the team. We have a lot of young players that need to be developed (coached), but instead we have coaches that are relying on their talent alone to win instead of properly game planning.

We don't seem to know how to adjust properly on offense or defense. Not to mention the fact that our HC is doing his normal bus driving to the media now. I swear I think Hue believes that what he says to the media does not get back to the FO and the players....because he says a lot of negatives about the players and is already blaming the play calling, even hinting he would be more involved because we are under performing....yet he was the one calling plays the previous two years that had the Browns 32nd and 31st in offense.

Until we get a competent HC that can properly run a functional coaching staff that can develop players, our young players aren't going to be able to develop like they should.

Was listening to the Radio, and they're talking about OU HC Lincoln Riley making the jump to the NFL. Would he go to the Browns to team up with Baker again? With the success of McVay in LA, lots of teams are looking for that next hot shot young HC with tremendous offense potential.

If you are what your record says you are, Hue Jackson is the second-worst coach in NFL history.

The Browns’ loss today drops Jackson to 11-44-1 as an NFL head coach: 8-8 in Oakland and 3-36-1 in Cleveland. That’s a winning percentage of .205. How bad is that? There have been 219 coaches in NFL history who coached at least 40 games in their career. Jackson ranks 218th in career winning percentage.

The only coach who was worse was Bert Bell, who led the Eagles to a record of 10-46-2 (.179) from 1936 to 1941. And Bell couldn’t be fired because he was also the owner of the Eagles.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/28/hue-jacksons-record-ranks-218th-of-219-coaches-in-nfl-history/

35 minutes ago, Dingo18287 said:

Was listening to the Radio, and they're talking about OU HC Lincoln Riley making the jump to the NFL. Would he go to the Browns to team up with Baker again? With the success of McVay in LA, lots of teams are looking for that next hot shot young HC with tremendous offense potential.

Is he ready for an NFL gig? He's been a HC at the college level for two years? If that's the direction, sure. But I'd question that decision.

Archived