Who should replace Dix?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who should replace Dix?

• Tramon Williams
    • Josh Jackson
    • Josh Jones
    • Whitehead
    • Other (Green, Breeland, Brown)

Maybe it is 4 CB and 1 safety.  Forget about a player being labeled a 2nd safety.  Put the 4 best cover players and the best deep safety out in the nickel and add another DB (best coverage ability) in dime.  

King

Alexander

Jackson

WIlliams

Whitehead

Brice/Jones/Breeland

Lots of combinations that could be used.

12 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Maybe it is 4 CB and 1 safety.  Forget about a player being labeled a 2nd safety.  Put the 4 best cover players and the best deep safety out in the nickel and add another DB (best coverage ability) in dime.  

King

Alexander

Jackson

WIlliams

Whitehead

Brice/Jones/Breeland

Lots of combinations that could be used.

Yep. I think HHCD had the highest combined floor across several responsibilities, but not the highest ceiling at any.

If Pettine can put the higher ceiling guys in the right spots to cover Haha's old snaps we might end up better off sooner than later TBH.

Very smart, limited athleticism, free agent.  Pettine's got his replacement.  Whitehead is the new Jim Leonard.  Book it.

TWill will start to get Whitehead's snaps and Jackson/Breeland move into TWill's spot.

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I agree, I like the WR rotation we have right now.  Why not use the strengths of a guy we are paying nearly $13 million, and get him more touches without decreasing the snaps for MVS and EQ, and not wasting one of your return from IR spots on Trevor Davis?

The WR rotation includes Cobb.

I dont care how much he's getting paid. Theres nothing that can be done about that now. What I care about is what he can contribute to the team - which is his receiving skills.
We already lost him for....what? Three games? We have a perfectly fine return guy on the roster. Use him. Keep Cobb healthy and contributing in the passing game.

From Tom Silverstein at JSO

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/10/30/silverstein-packers-put-house-order-pair-necessary-deals/1821324002/

If the Packers are going to salvage anything out of 2018, they’ve got to have players who want to be in their locker room or whom others want in their locker room. Safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix fell into the first category and running back Ty Montgomery probably fell into both.

Clinton-Dix hadn’t played well all season, missing way too many tackles, abandoning the middle too often in the red zone and giving up too many completions in coverage. He did have four turnover plays, including an important forced fumble in the San Francisco victory, but his good did not outweigh his bad.

Your free safety cannot be one of the team leaders in missed tackles (at least seven) and he can’t be party to three of the first 10 passing touchdowns allowed if he wants to be paid like a Pro Bowl player. Because his speed is average, he couldn’t recover from being out of position or taking a poor angle and needed to be much better in alignment and technique.

After Clinton-Dix spoke out several weeks ago about being certain he would be somewhere else next season, the Packers knew there was no going back and decided it was better to deal him now and receive a sure draft pick than wait to see if they would get a compensatory pick for him in 2020 after he left in free agency.

The best you can do in the compensatory drawing is a third-round pick and that is usually only pegged to someone who signs a massive contract and has a great first season with his new team. The Packers got a fourth-round pick from Washington, which is pretty good all things considered.

Lots more in the article, including comments on the replacement

I think it will be a trial by fire, but I do believe you have to start with Williams. He's a vet, he has ball skills, and now he doesn't have to run the whole field with much faster players. It may crash and burn, but I think it's your no.1 option at the moment. 

15 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

I think it will be a trial by fire, but I do believe you have to start with Williams. He's a vet, he has ball skills, and now he doesn't have to run the whole field with much faster players. It may crash and burn, but I think it's your no.1 option at the moment. 

Poor Tramon. First returning punts, now time at safety. The Packers sure aren't shy about putting his 35 year old body at risk

6 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

How the hell is Whitehead going to replace HHCD?

Whitehead played 75/78 snaps in his own role on Sunday.

Breeland, Jackson, or Tramon can bump inside to the slot.  

Breeland, Tramon or Whitehead can play FS.  

This DB group has a lot of flexibility.  

It isn't going to be all that hard to replace a guy who sat deep and jogged up to the scene of the crime on 75% of his snaps.

6 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We're averaging 5.81 DBs per snap this year.

3CBs and 3 Safeties

4 CBs, 2 Safeties?

It would seem to me there isn't a huge difference between Josh Jackson or Tramon Williams in the slot and what a safety was doing.  They blitz, they cover tight ends tight ends, they participate in run support.

And it may have been HHCD trying not to get injured in a contract year, but it seems like our deep safety is more of an insurance policy this year and not a key player on the defense- not the kind of position to dump millions into in free agency.  The position just isn't drawn into the action all that often, and it didn't seem like HHCD was showing the range to get to where the ball was going and break up the deep ball very often at all.  Brice would get there but he would mess up, HHCD wouldn't get there.  He didn't really impact the deep safety role which it seems he he plays often, and other guys have done well near the line of scrimmage.

I may be just showing a lot of confirmation bias, or whistling past the graveyard, but it just seems to me that Pettine's defense marginalizes the deep safety and this move won't be that large of an impact on the performance of the D.

Archived