Relationship Advice Thread

scar988

12 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

Been stuck in a rut, haven't had any success with my social circle or dating apps recently. I sometimes vibe with women at my job but i don't date at work unless they or i am leaving, so thats generally too complicated. Too many variables at play.

One of my local museums throws events every now and then, like kind of a nightclub atmosphere but with art. I'm going to go to one of these and see what happens. And...idk if its sad or not, but i'm considering signing up for a speed dating event. Not getting any younger, have to try something new.

No shame in whatever method you need to do to meet new people. The museum events sound like a good idea for starters. If you have sports leagues (softball, kickball, whatever you're interested in really) in the area, that is also a good option for meeting people. Any event really that you will find people with similar interests is a good option. I met my wife through my running club personally.

15 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

Been stuck in a rut, haven't had any success with my social circle or dating apps recently. I sometimes vibe with women at my job but i don't date at work unless they or i am leaving, so thats generally too complicated. Too many variables at play.

See below.

13 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

just eharmony.  my cousin convinced me to try online dating.  i was going to do christian mingle but there arent that many people on it like eharmony has.  

I would do multiple sites. It’s the best way to maximize results, especially with the free ones.

4 hours ago, vike daddy said:

good for you!

finding the right partner, the act of FINDING her or him, is a numbers game. you're looking for someone that is at best a 1 in 100 person, possibly quite higher even. so you have to involve yourself in a lot of opportunities for it to work out.

Hard agree. You’re going to send a lot of messages to get a date, and you’re gonna go on a lot of crappy dates before you find one worthwhile, and that’s just part of it.

Online is great at what it does, which is give lots and lots of opportunities. What it’s really bad at is getting any kind of quality interaction. It’s like speed dating but way more extreme. Maximize your efficiency by sorting the girls by new signups, and figure out a generic message you can send with a little editing and send a ton of messages.

I went on sooo many crap dates when I was doing online dating, and each one of those dates was probably the result of like three or four message threads, and each of those was probably the result of 10 or 12 sent messages without a response (not to the same girl though, don’t cyberstalk yall). But I did eventually meet my wife through it too.

• Like 2

On 1/22/2020 at 7:21 AM, MWil23 said:

I'm a firm believer in the "5 love languages". She is probably a "quality time and attention or words of affirmation" person. What's yours? Gifts? Acts of service? Physical Touch? 

The mrs and I read the book this weekend (well listened to the audiobook); started it before having seen your comment). Our relationship has always been in a really good place, but having just read the book and even before fully enacting the small changes necessary to better express ourselves, I’d definitely suggest this as something everyone should be looking into.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Daniel said:

each one of those dates was probably the result of like three or four message threads, and each of those was probably the result of 10 or 12 sent messages without a response (not to the same girl though, don’t cyberstalk yall). But I did eventually meet my wife through it too.

xD

20 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

just eharmony.  my cousin convinced me to try online dating.  i was going to do christian mingle but there arent that many people on it like eharmony has.  

I was just wondering if you compared it any other ones. I thought about signing up but it seems kind of expensive and really locks you in

21 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I was just wondering if you compared it any other ones. I thought about signing up but it seems kind of expensive and really locks you in

nah i only tried eharmony.  its expensive but i did the 6 month one that for 90 dollars every 2 months. hopefully the girl ive gone on a few dates with works out and i wont need to renew once the 6 months are up.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 7:21 AM, MWil23 said:

I'm a firm believer in the "5 love languages". She is probably a "quality time and attention or words of affirmation" person. What's yours? Gifts? Acts of service? Physical Touch? 

I'm Words of Affirmation and Physical Touch - my wife is Acts of Service and Giving/Receiving Gifts.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

you are great!

I'm a talker - I talk and like to be talked to. 

I am also aware that you love me. Now, give me a hug to seal the deal.

7 minutes ago, Counselor said:

How is it eerie there are only five options.

@MWil23 and I are starting to come to the conclusion that we are bizzaro versions of one another.

• Like 1