All-Whiff Team

BleedTheClock

23 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

QB: Brian Brohm/Jake Locker/Brad Kaaya
RB: Brian Calhoun/Kevin Smith/Isaiah Pead
FB: Jalston Fowler
WR: Aaron Dobson/Limas Sweed/Ryan Broyles/Matt Jones/Rashad Greene/Mario Urrutia
TE: Travis Beckum/Austin Seferian-Jenkins/Evan Rodriguez
LT: TJ Clemmings/Jason Spriggs
LG: Chance Warmack/Jon Asomoah
C: Samson Satele/Hronnis Grasu
RG: Joshua Garnett/Dorian Johnson
RT: Gabe Carimi/Jason Fox

LE: Corey Wootton/DaQuon Bowers
DT: Robert Nkemdiche/Amobi Okoye/Ra'Shede Hageman/Mike Martin/Marvin Austin
RE: Lorenzo Mauldin/Ricky Sapp
WLB: Keith Rivers/Gerris Wilkinson
MLB: Rey Maualuga/Barrett Ruud/Leon Williams
SLB: Aaron Curry/Manny Lawson
CB: Vernon Hargreaves/Dee Milliner/Tarell Brown/Alfonso Dennard/Jayron Hosley
FS: Kenny Phillips/William Moore
SS: Rahim Moore/Myron Rolle

K: Roberto Aguayo
P: Bryan Anger
Returners: Danny Coale/Quadree Henderson

Brian Brohm played on those Thursday night games when that all started with Louisville and the Big East I believe.  He was a smooth passer and had skill but was in a great system just look at his Uncle Jeff Brohm now at Purdue.  Still could of had a different career if he played in the NFL now I feel.  Kevin Smith was a good talent just injuries got the best of him.  

Jake Locker I hated, he was awful at passing but fun to watch rushing the football, would have maybe been better if in the RPO style many NFL teams use now.  But even him injuries got to him.  And Kaaya I thought really progressed that JR year, hated him before that but made some good throws, but obviously has not do anything yet in the league.

TJ Clemmings I liked but never thought he would be a great player, just a project OT, and Spriggs still might become a good OT but will be hard to crack the lineup and when he is in there is not all that great.  Gabe Carimi like many Wisconsin OL, he just looks the part and comes from there so one assumes success for him.  He looked better in college than the OTs they had this past season on Wisconsin arguably not sure what that says.    And Ryan Broyles was a possibly great pro before all the injury stuff, and Matt Jones was a super athlete just wrong time in the NFL.  Look at what Taysom Hill is doing now in the NFL of today, Matt Jones could have done very similar things if he was around.  And Urrutia was hard not to be impressed with at that size, I thought maybe he should have moved to TE possibly but was still a project type WR.

Wootton was a great player as a late round pick, awesome just because of the size but I never thought he would become elite.  Bowers the injury stuff really hurt him obviously but hard to not be impressed with that last year he played on Clemson, 26 TFL and 15 sacks year do not draft him ummm.  Hageman was a very good player but that issue he got kicked off the team for probably ended his career, he did well when he was in there I thought.  Manny Lawson has had a great pro career, never thought he was an amazing talent but he has stuck around for a crazy long time I think.  Kenny Phillips was never awful in the NFL, just not great long term and really most just hoped he would be a Sean Taylor type which obviously never happened, did not have the toughness of athletic ability.  

Dee Milliner is a surprise, especially with where he came from and how athletically he timed out as.  Was a little stiff though and that hurt him in the NFL.  Keith Rivers I thought was very good for a little while, just could not be consistent at all.  Hargreaves still has a chance but is very small and gets hurt a lot it seems.  Rahim Moore had flashes as well and was pretty dang good but obviously did not last over time.

Myron Rolle I liked also but was a little skeptical because got burnt so many other times and fact is if they are not in coverage much that is apparently because they cannot cover deep and he rarely was back deep and productive in college even.  Rey I kind of disliked at times in college, was so hyped up but hard not to like that hitting, but he was pretty below average in terms of getting off blocks and just general tackling outside of the big splash hits from time to time, still not an awful pro when healthy.

Safety is by far hard to rank I feel, I posted this list before on here but a few really good college safeties that either were not even drafted or were not very good in the NFL or did not even play in the NFL.  Love the hitting safeties and the guys that can do that, but obviously those drills that show obvious backpedal skills and how well they move in space, one cannot really see in TV, that is the make or break thing for safeties it seems, especially now a days.  Speed is extremely key and very important, even college INTs do not always show a kid has great ball skills and can be a deep center field safety.  Hell Gerod Holliman had 14 INTs in one year, and never played a down in the NFL.

SS
Jeremy Cash -Duke
Jonathan Dowling -Western Kentucky
Ernest Shazor -Michigan
Michael Hamlin -Clemson
Robert Carswell -Clemson
Derek Gibson -FSU
Matt Elam -Florida
Anthony Poindexter -Virginia
Jarrod Cooper -KState
DeAndre McDaniel -Clemson
Dajuan Morgan -NC State
Winston Guy -UK
Gary Berry -Ohio State
Sabby Piscitelli -Oregon State
Kevin Mitchell -Illinois
Kelin Johnson -Georgia
Kevin Ellison  -USC
Nic Harris -OU
Junior Rosegreen -Auburn
Julian Battle -Tennessee
Tom Zbikowski  -Notre Dame
Myron Rolle -FSU
Emanuel Cook -South Carolina
Aaron Rouse -Virginia Tech
Darnell Bing -USC
Ahmad Black -Florida
Nate Salley -Ohio State
Will Herring -Auburn

FS
Taylor Mays -USC
Dexter Jackson -FSU
Vincent Fuller -Virginia Tech
Kenoy Kennedy -Arkansas
Reggie Smith -OU
Kenny Phillips -Miami FL
Stuart Schweigert -Purdue
Gerod Holliman -Louisivlle
Tony George -Florida
Tharold Simon - LSU
Bacarri Rambo -Georgia
Josh Gattis -Wake Forest
Pat Watkins -FSU
David Bruton -Notre Dame
Terrence Holt -NC State
Deunta Williams -UNC
Robert Sands -WV
Chad Jones -LSU
Matt Ware -UCLA
DeVon Edwards -Duke
Jonathan Hefney -Tennessee
Josh Pinkard -USC
Markelle Martin -OK State
Jamaal Fudge -Clemson

Here are some UDFA players at safety, including this past season with Quin Blanding being the most shocking of them all that year.  Some later on I put in Bold if they become a solid NFL player.  Some others it is still too early to tell.  

This past season 2018 Draft and UDFA:
Quin Blanding -Virgina
Deatrick Nichols -USF
Van Smith -Clemson
Godwin Igwebuike -Northwestern
Jonathan Cook -Memphis 
Dominick Sanders -Georgia

UDFA
Damarius Travis -Minnesota
Dante Barnett -Kansas State
Orion Stewart -Baylor
DeVon Edwards -Duke (Never got picked up)

UDFA
Jeremy Cash -Duke
Tyvis Powell -Ohio State
Tre Elston -Ole Miss
Michael Caputo -Wisconsin

UDFA
Anthony Harris -Virginia
Cody Prewitt -Ole Miss
Kurtis Drummond -Michigan State
Isaiah Johnson -Georgia Tech
Tra'Mayne Bondurant -Arizona (Never got picked up)

UDFA
Jacques Washington -Iowa State
Daniel Sorensen -BYU 
Sean Parker -Washington
Craig Loston -LSU

UDFA
Tony Jefferson -Oklahoma
Jahleel Addae -Central Michigan
Robert Lester -Alabama

UDFA
Lance Mitchell -Oregon State
Rodney McLeod -Virginia
Sean Cattouse -Cal
Eddie Pleasant -Oregon
Tramain Thomas -Arkansas
Michael Thomas -Stanford
Johnson Bademosi -Stanford

UDFA
DeAndre McDaniel -Clemson
Deunta Williams -UNC 
Jerod Johnson -Boise State
Will Hill -Florida  
Tejay Johnson -TCU

UDFA
Dajuan Morgan -NC State
Kelin Johnson -Georgia
Jonathan Hefney -Tennessee

UDFA 
Marcus Griffin -Texas
Jamie Silva -BC

UDFA
Emanuel Cook -South Carolina
Derek Pegues -Miss State
Reshard Langford -Vanderbilt
Otis Wiley -Michigan State
Michael Hamlin -Clemson
Josh Pinkard -USC

UDFA
Darian Stewart -South Carolina 

UDFA
Justin Woodall -Alabama
Demetrice Morley -Tennessee
Jamaal Fudge -Clemson
Eric Brock -Auburn 

UDFA
Jamaal Brimmer -UNLV
Andre Maddox -NC State
Matt Grootegoed -USC
Brandon Everage -OU
Dexter Reid -UNC

Yes some are like Cato June who were not drafted or drafted low because they were position changes.  There are a few guys on this list that did that, Darnell Bing,Will Herring, Nic Harris and some others.  

11 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Forgot about him. He'd definitely be on my "Whiff" list.

Yeah Taylor Mays could be one of the biggest wastes of athletic ability in recent NFL history.  The guy was what 6-3 230 and ran a 4.3 - 4.4 40 time.  But even in college it was always like, why is he not doing more out there and making more plays?  Why does he not impact the game more?  People thought oh that is what they ask him to do, be a deep center fielder.  Or the fact is he is not that instinctual, he does not read plays well, he has a slow reaction time and when he arrives on the ball carrier he does not bring as much force as one would think being the athlete he is.  Sure his size and speed can intimidate some out there and he can be an effective tackler at times, but was never that give it your all type talent which is not a huge surprised considering the hype surrounding him his entire college career being a super high rated recruit and was talked about from day one on USC as the next big thing.

Again great athlete, always was like what if he turns it around, what if this coach gets with him and turns his career around.  That obviously never happen, such an elite level athlete no doubt but again that is the difference between a guy like Sean Taylor and a guy like Taylor Mays.  There is just a point where Sean was willing to go to athletically and sacrificing his body to make the play, never saw that type of effort at all from Taylor Mays, even in college much less the pros where he rarely saw the field.  Lucky for Mays he was coached by Mike Zimmer in Cincinnati, so if anyone can get him to be successful it was Zim and even he could not do it where he did with the likes of the big safety in George Iloka and has done great things with Harrison Smith obviously.

Starters:

QB: Robert Griffin III (Bortles and Bradford are also options)

HB: Trent Richardson

WR: Tavon Austin

WR: Kevin White

WR: Rashad Greene

TE: Gavin Escobar

LT: T.J. Clemmings

LG: Peter Konz

C: Barrett Jones

RG: Chance Warmack

RT: Gabe Carimi

EDGE: Owa Odighizuwa

DT: Nick Fairley

DT: Glenn Dorsey

EDGE: Tank Carradine

LB: Scooby Wright III

LB: Rennie Curran

LB: Paul Dawson

CB: Morris Claiborne

CB: Phillip Gaines

CB: Vernon Hargreaves

FS: Jimmie Ward

SS: Jonathan Cyprien

12 hours ago, Forge said:

Lessee:

QB: Probably going to end up being Josh Allen, but too early to call that, so I'll go with Jake Locker, who was a guy that I really liked from a skills perspective, similar to Allen (liked Allen much more). QB2 is a probably Jimmy Clausen. Not so much because I was hyping him up as a great player or anything, but just because of how bad he actually was. I thought he was at least going to be a solid quarterback in the league

Losing faith in Josh already? COME ON MANNNN

14 hours ago, Ozzy said:

WR Peter Warrick - Super competitive and electric return man, probably played in the wrong era, would potentially do way better in the NFL of today.  Injuries and hits caught up to him as well.

Amazed more people don’t list him, I think everyone thought he was the best thing since sliced bread

I don't have a full list, but my biggest whiffs of the past few years (possibly spelling names wrong, not motivated enough to look them back up)

DT: Louis Nix and Danny Shelton.... I had Hageman and Aaron Donald as an "either or" and only SLIGHTLY favored Donald

RB: Donnel Pumphrey I expected to be better than Tarik Cohen, despite liking Cohen.

WR/RB "gadget" hybrids: Dri Archer and Tavon Austin

S: Obi Melifonwu

WR: Auden Tate, DGB, and Corderelle Patterson.

On 12/19/2018 at 1:35 PM, ET80 said:

Justin Hunter/Cordarelle Patterson/DaRick Rogers. Yup, all three of those Tennessee WRs from 2013. Hunter was a size/speed guy, Patterson looked so good in open space and Rogers was probably the best of the bunch. Alas, Rogers was a headcase that went undrafted and flunked our quickly as a UDFA, Hunter was the poster boy of "preseason All Pro" who couldn't keep it going during the season and Patterson is a lightly used utiliy knife for Belicheck. Not exactly what I was expecting.

Another name - Brian Quick. Man, I thought Quick was going to be a beast.

Archived