Raiders Defense

Rolni

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

It's insane that Jones, Vickers, and Smith played their first significant snaps this week and frankly had the best interior pass rush of the year. Hurst has been good but Collins has been flat out outplayed.

Yeah.... just shows you how poorly Collins has been (I TOLD ALL OF YOU!! And you said I was a “chicken little alarmist”) when that group of DEs can get more interior pressure than our prized FA DT.

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

He is already in his mid 20s. I would assume he wouldn’t be raw 

IIRC, that was part of Mayock's decision making- that Arnette was "pro ready". 

It's a gamble, imo, as he has certainly been ready to go since day 1 and conventional wisdom says he'll improve with NFL experience. On the flip side, he might be mostly tapped out. 

Either way, I'm pleased enough with him. But yeah, I thought that was one of the driving factors.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Should have just drafted Ruggs@12 and Shenault @19 instead of 24 year old rookie lol. Then used those 3rds to trade up into the 2nd for Jaylon Johnson a 21 year old rookie. Leaving Lawson a starterall 2020 and JJ waiting in the wings. 😂 Never mind 

I really liked Jaylon Johnson at CB too and said at the time we should have traded down, gotten Johnson later and picked up a 3rd but we've got Arnette now who looks very promising and has played well generally too behind a much worse DL than Johnson has. As Elsa in Frozen says, its time to 'let it go' 😀

With regards Shenault, he's shown flashes but I think Edwards may be the better long term receiver so I'd rather have him and Ruggs. I did covet Lamb in the draft but I totally see why they went Ruggs now and it seems to be paying dividends. Good call from Mayock there.

• Like 2

Not bash Arnette, he did look solid. Shenault was my guy all the way, thought he could have been a high first rounder without his core injury. Mayock seems to go conservative with 1st like Arnette, Ferrel. He likes those high floor, low ceilings type of players. I think Arnette will be a fine starter but idk if he will be a pro bowler. 

56 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Not bash Arnette, he did look solid. Shenault was my guy all the way, thought he could have been a high first rounder without his core injury. Mayock seems to go conservative with 1st like Arnette, Ferrel. He likes those high floor, low ceilings type of players. I think Arnette will be a fine starter but idk if he will be a pro bowler. 

Not sure Arnette is a player with a 'low ceiling' really. He should be a solid CB#2 type, but I could potentially see him as a Nevin Lawson with hands which to me would be a pretty good player. I guess you mean he'll never be a superstar and that is probably true but at 19 I think that's ok if he's a 7 or 8 year starter at CB2 for us.

I wanted 1a) Jeudy 1b) Ruggs at Pick 12. At Pick 19 I was pretty firm on Jaylon Johnson, even at 19. Heck we drafted Arnette who should of went Mid 2nd, a reach on Johnson is similar. Although Arnette has played decently so far, not many complaints honestly. I’d say they are having similar seasons, Johnson slightly better. Sucks Arnette got injured. 

14 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I wanted 1a) Jeudy 1b) Ruggs at Pick 12. At Pick 19 I was pretty firm on Jaylon Johnson, even at 19. Heck we drafted Arnette who should of went Mid 2nd, a reach on Johnson is similar. Although Arnette has played decently so far, not many complaints honestly. I’d say they are having similar seasons, Johnson slightly better. Sucks Arnette got injured. 

Honestly at first I wanted Shenault at 12, but did more research on Ruggs and he was my guy. I liked Shenault more than Ceedee which is a different viewpoint. My top 5 were 

1) Ruggs 2) Shenault 3) Jeudy- didn’t like him as much because he reminded me too much of Cooper 4) Lamb- wasn’t as high on him because of his speed, just did wow me playing in the big 12. I might have been wrong but really wasn’t high on him 5) Jefferson 

I knew our defense sucked and we were likely going go that direction. I really wanted Kenneth Murray or that edge from LSU when we were on the clock. Part of me was like screw it, go get Shenault. After that Clemson corner was drafted before us, I didn’t see value at CB. I just don’t like how the last two years it was obvious to the world we drafted our big needs. MM has the mindset of drafting his guy, and not maximizing e value. Atleast when Gruden drafted Kolton Miller, he landed a 3rd rounder in a trade down. Of course he shipped that pick out for M Bryant lol. Arnette had a bad hand in college, surprised MM overlooked this aspect of a prospect. To no surprise he is out with that same hand. Lol. I get they liked Muse, but no way he was a 3rd rounder. Just wasting assets left and right. I think we have a good young team, but it could be better. Wish MM would grow as a GM and realize to capitalize on assets, and take a little risk with 1st rounders. Don’t care for low ceiling 1st rounders. 

Edited by Humble_Beast

On 10/16/2020 at 5:16 PM, ronjon1990 said:

Either way, I'm pleased enough with him. But yeah, I thought that was one of the driving factors.

Mullen looks like a legit #1 CB and Arnette looks like a solid starter across from him. Other than the big play week 1 he has held his own.

• Like 2

On 10/17/2020 at 10:50 AM, Humble_Beast said:

Mayock seems to go conservative with 1st like Arnette, Ferrel. He likes those high floor, low ceilings type of players. I think Arnette will be a fine starter but idk if he will be a pro bowler. 

He has reached for need rather than targeting high floor, low ceiling players. 

On 10/16/2020 at 5:16 PM, ronjon1990 said:

IIRC, that was part of Mayock's decision making- that Arnette was "pro ready". 

I think Terrell was our target but he came off the board earlier than expected. There were also reports leading up to the draft that teams CB rankings varied greatly from team to team and in comparison to the media's rankings. I think he was also a little overlooked by the media as a 5th year senior without elite physical tools because on tape he looked like a 1st rounder all year.