Raiders acquire WR Antonio Brown for a 3rd and 5th pick

agarcia34

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Traded away two draft picks in the most important draft in franchise history for a 31-year-old WR? And we're going to give him $50M over the next 3 years when we wouldn't pay Khalil Mack? How much cap space do we even have left for free agency? Building around old veterans isn't exactly a recipe for success when the rest of your team is terrible.

What a boring life you live.

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Traded away two draft picks in the most important draft in franchise history for a 31-year-old WR? And we're going to give him $50M over the next 3 years when we wouldn't pay Khalil Mack? How much cap space do we even have left for free agency? Building around old veterans isn't exactly a recipe for success when the rest of your team is terrible.

The difference is in the guaranteed money and the money given on signing. Mack's guaranteed money is 90 mill plus a big bonus on signing, Browns 30. Big difference. Cooper will likely get a longer contract, similar amount per year and more guaranteed. Brown's contract is close to Sammy Watkins per year.

I actually agree with you in the sense of building around vets and even with what I see as extremely good value trade wise and fairly good value contract wise, I still probably wouldn't have done it. But it's not black and white and I can certainly see the potential plus side of this for us.

I'm mainly just really pleased that Gruden and Mayock made a very good value trade. Happy to eat crow on that as I had prematurely judged that relationship. Hopefully this is a good sign of things to come.

Surely this trade means that Carr will be our QB next year. You'd have to think that it was discussed with Brown prior to him agreeing to come.

You would also think that Mayock and Gruden would only make this type of trade thinking of a known quantity in Carr. I wouldn't have thought that you would invest that amount on a weapon if you weren't doing it to commit to your current QB. I hope so anyway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

In terms of Mack and the ‘’rebuilding’ nonsense, I would agree ir doesn’t make much sense.

But getting Brown for a 3rd and a fifth is a good deal. We still need to get a young WR in the draft imo.Hopefully AB can be a good mentor re practice etc.

With someone of ABs ability we might be more of an attractive option in FA.

Just now, Rich7sena said:

This is not a long term re-build. Can we finally put this notion to bed?

It's a retooling. We'll see how "close" we are/aren't when free agency and the draft shake out. I'm hoping we can land 3-5 smart signings in FA and retain Cook on a reasonable 3 year deal. That may be too much to ask... we'll see.

Trading picks and paying him.. dont know how u guys like it. Sure hes great under current contract id be ok. 

Yes hes better than cooper now. Cooper is 25 not 31. Brown better be great another 3-4 years. And id rather of paid mack. There goes gettin nkeal harry :(. 

Maybe isabella still in play