2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

2 hours ago, chillparsi1 said:

Assuming this is by round and not by need I'm going: DL, Swing G/T, WR, ILB, QB, EDGE, RB.

To me, as Rodgers ages getting a dominant OL becomes more and more important - both to take the pressure off him with the run and also to help with reduced mobility. I'm not as sanguine on Bulaga playing much longer so I want go get his replacement in the ranks sooner rather than later, while adding depth to G if needed.

This is why we need to get a Trey Adams type of player who's big AND fast. Even if Veldheer were to come back as well as Bulaga, we need to be grooming someone behind them; especially one that can swing to LT if something were to happen to Bakh god forbid.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not a huge fan of OL who have weight issues.  He's listed at 369 on the Louisville website, but he reportedly was lower than that this year.  It just seems like a recipe for a player to eat themselves out of the league.  I think we've largely drafted our OL in that 305-315 range.

6'4" or 6'5" at 305-315, sometimes a bit lighter and bulk up. We've done the same with DL with the exception of Dean Lowry and Mike Daniels. Which leads me to...

2 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

GB's "type" of OL has pretty much been "the largest available people who fit the athletic profile" anyway.

Looking at the draft through the eyes of CBS Sports and Drafttek and you've got a ton of guys early Day 3(hmm interesting, wasn't that where we took Bakh?) that fit that profile...

I'd love to get a big 6'7" 355 guy that could play like Johnathan Ogden or Orlando Pace and this draft does not have that kind of player...

4 hours ago, JBURGE said:

Yup. WR could be a strong option to move down to the early 2nd considering the amount of them this year. Hopefully we don't have 5 going in the 1st.

Would love to see a 1/2 round WR to be able to play a healthy amount of snaps year 1, then another 5th round Trevor Davis gadget type. 

Can Ervin not fill the gadget role?  I'd hate to go back to not having a legit returner, and 1 gadget guy is enough.

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not a huge fan of OL who have weight issues.  He's listed at 369 on the Louisville website, but he reportedly was lower than that this year.  It just seems like a recipe for a player to eat themselves out of the league.  I think we've largely drafted our OL in that 305-315 range.

What are your/do you have thoughts on Alex Leatherwood out of Alabama? Haven't watched him yet but from what I've read sounds like a big (6'6", 310) athletic guy who has played multiple spots along that line. Seen him go from mid 1 to early 2 in mocks. 

6 minutes ago, chillparsi1 said:

What are your/do you have thoughts on Alex Leatherwood out of Alabama? Haven't watched him yet but from what I've read sounds like a big (6'6", 310) athletic guy who has played multiple spots along that line. Seen him go from mid 1 to early 2 in mocks. 

He'd probably make a good guard if he couldn't cut it at tackle, so you get a potential replacement for Turner if tackle doesn't work out.

What is a priority in the draft next year? WR? TE? ILB? QB?

Ross Uglem -   I wouldn't ever expect ILB to be a "priority" with this front office. They just took at TE in the top 100, not convinced they do it again it takes those players two or three years almost always anyway. They're a year away from a QB.

WR/DL/CB/OT/EDGE

I'd expect them to draft another back, too. I don't think they're convinced on Dexter Williams and I wouldn't be shocked if they move on from Jones and Jamaal Williams.

16 minutes ago, Leader said:

What is a priority in the draft next year? WR? TE? ILB? QB?

Ross Uglem -   I wouldn't ever expect ILB to be a "priority" with this front office. They just took at TE in the top 100, not convinced they do it again it takes those players two or three years almost always anyway. They're a year away from a QB.

WR/DL/CB/OT/EDGE

I'd expect them to draft another back, too. I don't think they're convinced on Dexter Williams and I wouldn't be shocked if they move on from Jones and Jamaal Williams.

Jamal should be a reasonable price to re-sign! I'm afraid Aaron is going to get top dollar for RB and you don't pay running backs. 

I'm probably in the minority here, but if we could get a end of 1st to the first half of second round, I'd trade Aaron Jones this off season. His value is never going to be higher and we only have him one more year. And I love me some Aaron Jones! 

Risky, but you can get a decent back in round 4 -5 of the draft. 

Edited by Golfman

As I die-hard Packer fan and no-nothing draft fanatic, I had read in Great Blue North about Austin Jackson, an OT, as a possible late Round One tackle for a team like Green Bay. But in his matchup in the bowl game versus Iowa, it appeared to me he looked a little slow and stiff. Would that rule him out as a developmental right tackle o-lineman for the Pack? Two other possible tackles to backup Bulaga and Veldheer that I've noticed are Jedrick Willis, a right tackle from Alabama, 6-5 and 320; and Isaiah Wilson, a right tackle from Georgia, 6-7, 340. Any thoughts on these guys?

1 minute ago, Gypsy1027 said:

As I die-hard Packer fan and no-nothing draft fanatic, I had read in Great Blue North about Austin Jackson, an OT, as a possible late Round One tackle for a team like Green Bay. But in his matchup in the bowl game versus Iowa, it appeared to me he looked a little slow and stiff. Would that rule him out as a developmental right tackle o-lineman for the Pack? Two other possible tackles to backup Bulaga and Veldheer that I've noticed are Jedrick Willis, a right tackle from Alabama, 6-5 and 320; and Isaiah Wilson, a right tackle from Georgia, 6-7, 340. Any thoughts on these guys?

Yes! Austin Jackson looked like a kid that needs to go back to school for another year. He seemed very slow and stiff. Not sure he could be drafted in the first few rounds. I think Willis is being projected to go quite high. Wilson is interesting and should be available when we draft in round 1, but not sure he's going to be ranked that high so it's somewhat of a round 1 for him. 

2 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Jamal should be a reasonable price to re-sign! I'm afraid Aaron is going to get top dollar for RB and you don't pay running backs. 

I'm probably in the minority here, but if we could get a end of 1st to the first half of second round, I'd trade Aaron Jones this off season. His value is never going to be higher and we only have him one more year. And I love me some Aaron Jones! 

Risky, but you can get a decent back in round 4 -5 of the draft. 

Don't want to pay a fortune for Jones but sorry, you aren't going to find lightning in a bottle like him again.  With just a decent back this year the Packers would have been screwed.  They had to have an outstanding back like Jones to help make up for a very questionable wr/te mix.  

Just now, coachbuns said:

Don't want to pay a fortune for Jones but sorry, you aren't going to find lightning in a bottle like him again.  With just a decent back this year the Packers would have been screwed.  They had to have an outstanding back like Jones to help make up for a very questionable wr/te mix.  

If I a pick in the range I suggested, you get a play maker in the draft. I'd also go and get Amari Cooper if he hits the market. 

Many thanks for the "Yes!" vote, Golfman. I have almost no confidence in my draft opinions. But since I'm on a roll . . . am wondering if there are any thoughts on a o-tackle who might be available toward the end of the second round. I'm thinking of Terrence Steele, an OT from Texas Tech. He's 6'6" and 310 pounds according to what he is listed, and he has incredibly long arms. Just my thoughts, but a nice developmental tackle in Round Two would be a sweet deal, thus allowing us to go after a skill player or a big d-lineman in Round One. Comments?

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Marvin Wilson and Dylan Moses back to school. Two 1st round caliber defensive guys. This draft is shaping up to be an offensive heavy one.

Packers FO out here playing 3d chess while I'm playing with sticks and mud. They always seem to be lining up very well with how the draft comes. Really wish I could sit in on their meetings.

17 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Marvin Wilson and Dylan Moses back to school. Two 1st round caliber defensive guys. This draft is shaping up to be an offensive heavy one.

I understand Moses due to the injury, but Wilson makes no sense to me. Plus I was hoping we might snag him at the end of round 1.