2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

11 hours ago, JBURGE said:

I haven't looked at any linebackers other than Isaiah Simmons and he'll be long gone. Dunno what else could be good value in the late 20s. If I'm spending a 1st on an ILB, that floor better be high. 

I'll save you the trouble.  It's awful.  Really awful now that Dylan Moses returned to Alabama.  You've got Isaiah Simmons followed by a significant gap and then Kenneth Murray.  After that, you've got a massive gap and then everyone else.  This isn't the year to invest a high pick into an off-ball LB.

8 hours ago, Joe said:

I'd love to get a big 6'7" 355 guy that could play like Johnathan Ogden or Orlando Pace and this draft does not have that kind of player...

Both of those players were top 4 picks.  There's a reason why he's not getting top 10 buzz.  He's interesting, but he's nowhere near the prospect either of those were.

1 hour ago, Golfman said:

I'm probably in the minority here, but if we could get a end of 1st to the first half of second round, I'd trade Aaron Jones this off season. His value is never going to be higher and we only have him one more year. And I love me some Aaron Jones! 

Legitimately asking, why would any team give up that kind of premium pick for him?

2 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Now that I'm working through this a bit I'd turn in the Simmons card with our 1st, if the rest of the 1st round talent is gone. I'm still taking a DL over him but I'd put him on par with the WR's.

Tough for me to pass up a defensive freak.

Simmons will be LONG gone by the time the Packers pick.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Simmons will be LONG gone by the time the Packers pick.

Oh, I'll never say never but I pretty much am seeing that now for myself. I had asked a few pages ago what some people thought because I was seeing some hype on the twittersphere.

I'm just kinda saying his slot play isn't enough to trade up for for me but I see the hype

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Legitimately asking, why would any team give up that kind of premium pick for him?

Fair question but there are teams that value RB more than we do. There is a chance nobody would and roll the dice and draft a rookie. It only takes one team and there are teams struggling to find a RB. 

9 hours ago, Golfman said:

Jamal should be a reasonable price to re-sign! I'm afraid Aaron is going to get top dollar for RB and you don't pay running backs. 

I'm probably in the minority here, but if we could get a end of 1st to the first half of second round, I'd trade Aaron Jones this off season. His value is never going to be higher and we only have him one more year. And I love me some Aaron Jones! 

Risky, but you can get a decent back in round 4 -5 of the draft. 

Trade Jones? Aaron Jones is half the offense right now. I wouldn't trade him with the idea of replacing him with a decent back in the 4th round. (Besides, we already have a decent back from the 4th round named Jamal Williams.) Thanks to McCarthy, Jones has a lot of tread left. I would give him a second contract and ride him as far he he can go. This coming draft is supposed to be WR heavy, so use the draft to upgrade the WR position, use FA to fortify the middle of the defensive line, and just keep rolling.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Fair question but there are teams that value RB more than we do. There is a chance nobody would and roll the dice and draft a rookie. It only takes one team and there are teams struggling to find a RB. 

eh, you can find a rb in the back half of the second round and squeeze 800 yards out of him

On a team so devoid of offensive talent right now why in the hell would anyone want to trade one of our only true playmakers? I know this forum has about a low of an opinion of RBs as can be but man......... If we had a team with Jordy, Jennings, Jones, or Finley then sure role with a rookie or RB by committee but we have Davante and ??????? Aaron Jones is our only other mismatch.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Golfman said:

Jamal should be a reasonable price to re-sign! I'm afraid Aaron is going to get top dollar for RB and you don't pay running backs. 

Risky, but you can get a decent back in round 4 -5 of the draft. 

Hard time seeing a team give up a top 45 pick for a RB in the last year of his rookie deal with a draft class of Swift, Taylor, Dobbins, Etienne, Ackers, Eno, among some others.  4-5 years of 1 of those backs vs 1 year of Jones?

• Like 1