2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:
20 hours ago, JBURGE said:

I haven't looked at any linebackers other than Isaiah Simmons and he'll be long gone. Dunno what else could be good value in the late 20s. If I'm spending a 1st on an ILB, that floor better be high. 

I'll save you the trouble.  It's awful.  Really awful now that Dylan Moses returned to Alabama.  You've got Isaiah Simmons followed by a significant gap and then Kenneth Murray.  After that, you've got a massive gap and then everyone else.  This isn't the year to invest a high pick into an off-ball LB.

Eh, whatever. Take a shot on another guy in the mid rounds and fill the need with a vet in FA. 

42 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

eh, you can find a rb in the back half of the second round and squeeze 800 yards out of him

42 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

eh, you can find a rb in the back half of the second round and squeeze 800 yards out of him

Nope, don't buy it.  This year 800 rushing yards wouldn't have been enough not to mention Jones catching the ball out of the backfield.   Packers need every frickin yard to be where they are at.   Plus you are talking spending a 2nd round draft pick .. pretty high pick to fill a position we already have filled very, very nicely.   

Just now, coachbuns said:

Nope, don't buy it.  This year 800 rushing yards wouldn't have been enough not to mention Jones catching the ball out of the backfield.   Packers need every frickin yard to be where they are at.   Plus you are talking spending a 2nd round draft pick .. pretty high pick to fill a position we already have filled very, very nicely.   

just saying teams would probably rather grab a guy in the late 2nd - 3rd rounds and plug him in (ala Miles Sanders / Devin Singletary) and he'll get you 800 yards than trade for 1 year of AJ.
Plus you get to retain the rookie for a cheap 4 years.

• Like 1

Just now, Fl0nkerton said:

just saying teams would probably rather grab a guy in the late 2nd - 3rd rounds and plug him in (ala Miles Sanders / Devin Singletary) and he'll get you 800 yards than trade for 1 year of AJ.
Plus you get to retain the rookie for a cheap 4 years.

You know what you have with Jones.  Packers have been looking for another Grant/Greene for years … can't be that easy to plug and run.  Maybe it was all McCarthy scheme not running the ball, who knows.  It's a crap shoot .. sometimes cheap doesn't work … sometimes it does.  In Gute I trust.

10 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Eh, whatever. Take a shot on another guy in the mid rounds and fill the need with a vet in FA. 

If you saw my list of ILB's (copied form TheDraftNetwork's big board), the highest point in the draft which has many ILB's concentrated together, is in round 4. Earlier rounds either have no realistic prospects (Simmons is long gone in round 1), prospects in the wrong part of a round (going too early in round 2), or few targets (round 3 has just 3 targets). Round 4 has a whole bunch of guys (9) that are similarly rated.

I'd give Jones 3 years and 24M. 

I know you can find RBs in the mid rounds that can play, but historically, your hit rate on good ones is still pretty low. I've been following the draft since 2000 and we have taken 13 backs;

Two have been plus players- Lacy (when not fat) and Jones

We've had a few solid niche- J Williams, Starks, Jones, B Jack (generous), Davenport

Then there is a lot of meh guys who couldn't play.

If we need to burn 3 picks to replace Jones, we might as well pay him a reasonable deal if possible and put picks elsewhere.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Wasn't interested in drafting one anyway. FA crop far superior to the draft crop.

If you don't go DL in round one, there will be good WR's available....... and I'd guess that is the second most desirable position group because there is a strong chance of several good prospects being there.

1 minute ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

If you don't go DL in round one, there will be good WR's available....... and I'd guess that is the second most desirable position group because there is a strong chance of several good prospects being there.

I won't rule out CB in round one, either.  Can't have enough of them.  King in the last year of his deal.  Jackson is a question mark.  Tramon is old and who knows if he comes back.  So really, you have Alexander, King, Jackson and Holloman at corner.  

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

I won't rule out CB in round one, either.  Can't have enough of them.  King in the last year of his deal.  Jackson is a question mark.  Tramon is old and who knows if he comes back.  So really, you have Alexander, King, Jackson and Holloman at corner.  

Very true. Despite having drafted an absurd number of DBs in the last five years or so, as you say another is still needed due to the loss of the very fine Tramon Williams (likely, since he would be 37), Jackson (also likely, with how few snaps he has had on defense this year), and Tony Brown (released).

Alexander and King, with Sullivan and Hollman backing up isn't awful by any means, but that position group will need more depth for sure. I don't see a round 1/2 CB, but after that I'd expect at least one drafted CB somewhere.

24 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

I'd give Jones 3 years and 24M. 

I know you can find RBs in the mid rounds that can play, but historically, your hit rate on good ones is still pretty low. I've been following the draft since 2000 and we have taken 13 backs;

Two have been plus players- Lacy (when not fat) and Jones

We've had a few solid niche- J Williams, Starks, Jones, B Jack (generous), Davenport

Then there is a lot of meh guys who couldn't play.

If we need to burn 3 picks to replace Jones, we might as well pay him a reasonable deal if possible and put picks elsewhere.

Next year will be huge for what I would prefer to do with Jones. If he gets hurt, I probably extend. If he has another great season touching it 20 times a game, he will probably out-price what I would be willing to do. 

I'm more than ok spending a 3/4 this year on a RB since the class is so good, and that might solve that issue. 

I don't have a ton of patience for RBs since their rookie contract is where you get the most value. Dexter has been a fringe roster player, and if he doesn't do anything next year, he's gone. If we draft someone he probably doesn't make the 2020 roster

Edited by JBURGE

29 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Similar to the DL group after  2018.  Strong class and outside of Clark,  lot of questions.

Premium position for round 1 with the hope it meshes with upper priority need.

As @Packerraymond noted, noted this FA DL group has several  solid options

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Chandon Sullivan doesn't count? He's playing great football for us given his UFA status. I wouldn't go CB in round 1 though. 

17 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Similar to the DL group after  2018.  Strong class and outside of Clark,  lot of questions.

Premium position for round 1 with the hope it meshes with upper priority need.

As @Packerraymond noted, noted this FA DL group has several  solid options

I'm fully on board with getting a good DL in free agency.  Very wise move.

If you look at the roster, WR is certainly in need of an upgrade.  I'd probably grab one in FA, mid tier, and hope they pan out, while drafting one with one of our top two picks.

I'm not a huge fan of WR in round one, but if one is there, end of round one isn't the worst place to take a guy.

And I very much like the idea of trading back to round two and selecting one.

But man, you gotta look at the premiums first.  Corner is always a premium and you can't have enough of them.  Add in the uncertainty of King (injury and contract) and you need to look at the future there.  Corner should be a higher pick.