Lets Discuss All Things Wrestling - Even The T-Shirt Company AEW!

steelcurtain29

• 2 weeks later...

I can't see all three of the following happening on the same show: Gunther winning the championship, Reigns returning, and Dom turning on Rhea

Dom turning feels the most likely given I don't see a way you continue Rhea/Liv without that.  The only way Reigns doesn't return is if Solo is winning in the main event.  I actually think that would be a great idea if not for Orton/Rhodes being a money feud right around the corner.  Gunther could lose and then win it in Berlin, but I'm not a fan of a guy losing the first time and then getting a rematch.  But that is something HHH has always loved to do, including when he was booking NXT, so I'm saying that will be the "obvious" booking decision that doesn't happen

Edited by iknowcool

11 hours ago, iknowcool said:

I can't see all three of the following happening on the same show: Gunther winning the championship, Reigns returning, and Dom turning on Rhea

Dom turning feels the most likely given I don't see a way you continue Rhea/Liv without that.  The only way Reigns doesn't return is if Solo is winning in the main event.  I actually think that would be a great idea if not for Orton/Rhodes being a money feud right around the corner.  Gunther could lose and then win it in Berlin, but I'm not a fan of a guy losing the first time and then getting a rematch.  But that is something HHH has always loved to do, including when he was booking NXT, so I'm saying that will be the "obvious" booking decision that doesn't happen

The way that Gunther losing at SS but winning at Berlin would be to have Priest retains because of Finn Balor interfering, and this interference along with the Dom betrayal leading to the dissolution of the Judgement Day.  At least the JD as we know it.  You could continue it without DP and RR, but that would be dumb, i'd rather they just let Finn get back in the main event scene and you can have JDM and Carlito maybe go forward as a tag team.

As for Dom, they should bring back the Cruiserweight title.  He can compete there, and there are several smaller wrestlers nowadays that could support that being a division.  He's had a nice ride over the last year, but the situation is getting played out.  A cruiserweight division gives him an angle to go forward and several other guy on the roster a place they can work outside of the main event scene.

AEW is cursed when it comes to “All In” at Wembley Stadium in London. Every year it’s something. Now it’s Britt and MJF. Why can’t they just have a successful time in their biggest time of the year? Just crazy the drama that happens around “All In” for AEW. 

Dirty Dom doing dirty things. Expected, but still dirty.

Pretty good match between Liv and Rhea.
Liv come a long way since her main roster debut as a Harley Quinn impersonator. Her facial expressions are on point, her promos are confident, and her wrestling is a lot better. She's grown into an Alexa Bliss tier performer at minimum.

Edited by Jeezla

On 8/1/2024 at 9:30 PM, iknowcool said:

Well lemme tell ya…

• Like 4

12 hours ago, bcb1213 said:

Man.  Some high quality performances but that show was overbooked.. I think only one match all night didn't have interference of some kind

Came in here to say that. That’s their biggest issue at the moment, not enough matches where they just let them wrestle without some type of interference 

2 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Dom Mysterio is the first person I've ever seen turn heel while already being a heel lol

I enjoyed this Summerslam.  I give it an A.  It's one of the better ones.  It's at the top with 98 and 99.

Just pushing Rhea face more so than Dom being more heel.  They finally realized that Rhea could set Becky Lynch on fire and piss on her corpse and still get cheered, so they are going the gray character bad *** face route for her a la Stone Cold 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

I enjoyed this Summerslam.  I give it an A.  It's one of the better ones.  It's at the top with 98 and 99.

I enjoyed it very much, even if it was all pretty predictable. Sometimes you need that to move things forward. As suggested here, it felt like they almost overbooked themselves, but I would argue all of them "made sense" even if they werent all necessary. 

The Liv/Dom/Rhea match all made complete sense. We all pretty much knew that was where we were headed, just needed to do it justice. Rhea can get herself a title basically whenever she wants, so it doesnt really matter if she loses. The only questions I have coming out of it are; A) What does this mean for JD? We've already got the Finn/Priest stuff, so are we going to completely muddy this all? and B) more importantly, who will Rhea (assuming shes healthy) be challenging in HIAC? Obviously if the Title is most important, then its Liv, BUT I think the more interesting twist would be her wanting Dom in the cage, keeping Liv out. You could pull shenanigans if they are still iffy in the male/female stuff. But I think Dom v Rhea is the match most would rather see.

The IC Title match went as it should have. Bron looks dominant in quick fashion, I had heard other pitches that I ma have liked better, but this was good. I hope we arent headed for another long drawn out reign, because to draw comparisons to Gunther would hurt Bron at this point. Id like to see Bron drop it an win it back at least once, maybe twice between now and Mania. If BB is a Main Eventer like we think he will be, he wont be wallowing in the Mid-card for long, so its unlikely that you are going to over leverage his number of reigns. But if he loses a few times that show his major weaknesses, and he had to adjust before he is going against the true big dogs, thats a story I like

Everything Logan has been in has been very overbooked since he has gotten the US Title. I get why, I wish they would have had him go up against some "hand picked" challengers that he didnt need to do that, but Im sure he was on limited dates and I wouldnt be shocked if they agreed to let him hold the belt till SS. Because his steam wore off like 3/4 months ago it feels like. Just like the peak of LA Knight was on the run up to Mania, and they missed that wave. Thankfully hes still good enough that this felt like a big moment, but it should have been months ago. Maybe its time for a Logan break till atleast next mania.

I honestly like this version of Nia becoming the big bad monster of the Womens Division. (would be nice to build her up for one of the other Major Faces to take the Title from her in a few months) It just makes sense, where I would have to stretch alittle futher for many of the other options to hold that belt right now. It was a solid match to me, feels weird thats hes aligned with the MITB winner, but Ill give that some time to see how they play it. You can re-heat Bayley whenever needed, but she will always be best when a chasing babyface, even though she is great wherever she is positioned. 

Honestly the most disappointing match on this Card to me was Drew vs Punk. I still dont connect with the "bracelet" thing. I get what they are trying to do, but it really doesnt land for me. They could have done a whole lot of other things. And we all know they were trying to invoke SS '97, so why not just do it? It worked great then, it would have done the same here (either way honestly). Felt like they got too cute with it, the final run of sequences felt like they hurt Drew more than helped in my eyes. Obviously Punk/Drew isnt over, so hopefully we get a better/more memorable match than what we got in Cleveland

Finally Gunther takes the WHC. I know "finally" sounds weird, but to me he should have had it at Mania. The KOTR Crown was a nice little carrot for us all, but it just felt lesser-than what he deserved. Speaking of Lesser-than, I do like Priest, but I dont think he is ME staple level like they want to pretend he is. Winning his first time on that level with MITB just makes me feel that way no matter who it is. And I never felt like we were longing for him to get it, unlike what everyone felt with a Ziggler. He can compete in the ME, but it always felt forced with him up there for this entire 4 month run. Felt like they should have done the JD breakup 2 months ago, and a little back and forth of the belt with Finn would have made sense before Gunther taking it (assuming you wanted to wait this long) but now Im worried about what they will do with the JD breakup. They need to give Finn some push, but it feels like he will be spinning his tires again and they will try to re-elevate Priest again.

I have alot of thoughts on the Rhodes/Solo match, but many of them are dependent on where they go from here. Was Roman a call AA made for Cody? They seemed to insinuate that. Why would Roman do that? Anyway, going Bloodline Rules still doesnt make sense to me, no reason for Cody to agree. And they could have accomplished just about the same thing with just knocking out the ref for a while (they had the almost Spike spot already planned, just go through with it earlier). Honestly unless they have another challenger for Cody lined up for Bash (would feel forced) or Roman is going to be there (unlikely) feels like we could have gone with one more of these, before the Bloodline War we are all expecting. You could of accomplished that by doing just about everything the same, but not Bloodline Rules, and the ref recovers at the last second to see Roman attack Solo, causing a surprise DQ. Would have kept everything as is, but doesnt have Roman ultimately helping Cody for no discernible reason. Also would feed into Roman just doing what he wants, for himself. Idk, like I said, alot depends on what they do from here, but for now it lays out too many unnecessary landmines.