Official 2020 DL/EDGE Thread

CalhounLambeau

On 3/27/2020 at 5:46 PM, Jeezla said:

Alex Highsmith has some Ngakoue to him.

The thing that's hard to account for is how well Yannick played against good competition. Was a very underrated aspect of him coming out at the time. 

On 3/28/2020 at 9:04 PM, Chrissooner49er said:

Yes and no. It's not always just a "business" decision. Some prospects have reason to fear such tests...whether that be a lack of preparation or iffy measurables. Is that Chase Young? Only time will tell. So, no, the true competitor bit isn't nonsense, but to each their own. If it doesn't fit your argument, toss the whole possibility out! I get it. It may not be PROBABLE, but it IS POSSIBLE.

I feel skipping combine tests for fear of not doing well in them is the very definition of a business decision lol. 

• Like 3

On 29/03/2020 at 6:10 AM, jrry32 said:

Andrew Luck didn't throw at the Combine. What was he hiding?

That bum shoulder. He's clearly the most shrewd QB to hit the league since Sam Bradford. 

In all seriousness, nothing. Everyone knew he was going #1, #2 at worst. The Combine's QB stuff does more to elevate Day 3 stock or push people into Day 3 consideration. For a QB who knows they're going round 1 (and honestly for most players in that position IMO), there isn't much incentive to go through all of the drills. We always see more presumed round 1/2 guys hurt their stock than we see guys help it. Unless you're John Ross and trying to show off some unbelievable trait, why risk doing anything in the pre-Draft process to risk even a minor injury? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Forge said:

The thing that's hard to account for is how well Yannick played against good competition. Was a very underrated aspect of him coming out at the time. 

Yannick dominated Brandon Scherff. I remember that game because it made me doubt that Scherff could play OT at the NFL level. I can't say I saw anything like that on Highsmith's film. He just didn't impress me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Forge said:

I feel skipping combine tests for fear of not doing well in them is the very definition of a business decision lol. 

There will be more and more business decisions, just like players skipping the bowl games. I think we've actually been fortunate that the lag has been this long before players and their agents figured it out. Actually I think it's delayed because they devote the pre combine months to working out, and want to show off their improvement and form. Now they'll increasingly realize that no matter the dedication or improvement they simply don't match up well to their peers in certain categories, and those comparisons defined by a number can only hurt them.

Every year I check SPARQ and also the RAS (Relative Athletic Score) numbers. This year is by far the thinnest sampling I've ever seen. Even for guys who did the combine there is one incomplete grade after another. Chase Young is a big blank. It's kind of amusing to sample his page with nothing there except height and weight and some robotic sentences.

If it keeps up at this pace those SPARQ-type evaluations will be like newspapers declining due to the internet 

https://relativeathleticscores.com/2020/02/03/chase-young-ras/

9 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Man, I've been watching a load of Ross Blacklock and I've been underrating this guy so much. Dude is explosive and he's not even been playing where he would be in the NFL. Shoots through gaps for fun.

He has the tools to be very disruptive. Explosive off the ball and through gaps. Has heavy hands. A lot of potential if he develops well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Man, I've been watching a load of Ross Blacklock and I've been underrating this guy so much. Dude is explosive and he's not even been playing where he would be in the NFL. Shoots through gaps for fun.

Should watch videos of James Lynch.