Texans trade DE Jadeveon Clowney to Seattle for Barkevious Mingo

Steelersfan43

17 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The moral of the story is:

-If you're going to franchise tag someone, either reach an extension or trade him right away (like before the draft.)

I'm always a little happy to see the use of the franchise tag not work out in a team's favor. Players deserve to see a market value offer after they play out their rookie contract.

With all these players taking a stand and holding out, I hope it helps remove or neutering the tag for the next CBA. Thats 1B to cutting the preseason in half for my hopes.

5 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

I'm always a little happy to see the use of the franchise tag not work out in a team's favor. Players deserve to see a market value offer after they play out their rookie contract.

With all these players taking a stand and holding out, I hope it helps remove or neutering the tag for the next CBA. Thats 1B to cutting the preseason in half for my hopes.

I think the franchise tag is a net good, since it prevents the creation of superteams and ensures less attractive markets can keep key pieces.  But if you're going to tag a guy, it really should be "we legitimately are willing to pay the going rate for this guy."  If Houston wasn't willing to give Clowney the Frank Clark deal or the Demarcus Lawrence deal or the Trey Flowers deal, they shouldn't have franchised him.

I mean, the fundamental issue here was the Texans valuation of what Jadeveon Clowney is worth (they absolutely could have afforded to pay the going rate for an edge defender), and if your valuation of a player is not "we'll pay the going rate" you should under no circumstances franchise him.

Edited by PossibleCabbage

Just chiming in as a Seahawks fan,

Obviously I love this move, because..

1.Mingo was going to get cut

2. With an extra 2nd Round, John Schneider has t he capital to gain back the 3rd, and Earl Thomas might net them a comp 3rd anyway.

3. Can reap a 2021 third back as comp if Clowney doesn't resign.

That being said, I don't think Houston got swindled. As a fan you would want a lot more value, but what they ended up with is NOT horrible.

1. Mingo was a solid LB, and great special teams player last year. He just didn't have a spot this year with the drafting of Barton and BKK, and couldn't make the switch to edge. He should contribute well in 2019.

2. Jacob Martin could be a really good player. Depending on how is used/lines up, he could give you 5-8 sacks. He was a 6th Round pick that saw a lot of snaps in Seattles NASCAR and Dime packages. He is very quick off the ball, and really pushes the edge with this speed and quickness. 

3. Houston get their potential comp pick a year early. Could be a nice carrot for the incoming GM.

Edited by animaltested

2 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I think the franchise tag is a net good, since it prevents the creation of superteams and ensures less attractive markets can keep key pieces.  But if you're going to tag a guy, it really should be "we legitimately are willing to pay the going rate for this guy."  If Houston wasn't willing to give Clowney the Frank Clark deal or the Demarcus Lawrence deal or the Trey Flowers deal, they shouldn't have franchised him.

That's a contradiction. If they were going to legitimately pay what the best offer the player would get in open market, they wouldn't need the tag 95% of the time. The other 5% is if a player really doesn't want to spend his entire team with a team and he shouldn't have to in that case. 

The franchise tag is basically stealing a year of a player's prime when they should be locked in to a long term deal with guarantees. If it still exists they need to make it the cost much much higher than the average of the top 5 at position, because that's almost always less then the AAV the player ends up getting on a multi-year basis.

As a Raider fan, I'm so sorry Houston fans. I somewhat know how you feel on this. I haven't recovered in over a year and think I'll wake up soon but this is horrible for your team and fan base. I thought you might only get a 3rd because he can't sign a contract but this feels terrible as someone who's experienced something similar. My condolences and I wouldn't doubt if fans don't go to the games to support current GM/coach/leadership...

• Like 1