Is the Antonio Brown meltdown the worst the NFL has ever seen?

RaidersAreOne

Is the Antionio Brown meltdown the worst the NFL has ever seen?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Antionio Brown meltdown the worst the NFL has ever seen?

I think comparing this to Aaron Hernandez is apples to oranges anyways.

Aaron Hernandez wasn't really a meltdown - he murdered someone, got caught and had to face the consequences of that action. Was it despicable? Yes. But I don't really think of it as a meltdown. What Aaron Hernandez did had nothing really to do with the Patriots or his teammates. What Antonio is doing directly involves the front office of his team.

Edited by Bolts223
  • Like 2

As far as accurate comparisons (I just consider the Hernandez situation so different), I think T.O. and driveway sit-ups as the only thing that comes close, but I think this one is worse and even more "wtf???".

T.O.'s seemed to be mostly contract related, with several handfuls of being unhappy with his teammates thrown in. This just has a different air. It's more like...what's your freaking problem dude? Supposedly isn't a contract thing, supposedly isn't being upset about playing time/his QB/etc etc etc. It's just being disgruntled at...life? Very weird. I do think it's at a point where you have to start thinking he has some deep-seeded underlying mental health issues. It was entertaining for a bit, but now it seems worrisome and self-destructive.

I will also briefly add that despite what I mentioned above about T.O., he did also freaking attempt suicide. Holy crap.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bolts223 said:

IAaron Hernandez wasn't really a meltdown - he murdered someone, got caught and had to face the consequences of that action. Was it despicable? Yes. But I don't really think of it as a meltdown.

It sounds weird to say this, but only mentioning the murder that he was convicted of is, in some ways, just the tip of the iceberg.

• Like 1

Vince Young comes to mind. Former ROY, then had public spats with Jeff Fisher, was throwing his equipment into the stands when Kerry Collins won games as a starter, got into fights while out in public, had a potential scare when people thought he was a suicide risk, wasn't managing his money correctly and is broke now, recently arrested for a DUI...

Just now, ET80 said:

Vince Young comes to mind. Former ROY, then had public spats with Jeff Fisher, was throwing his equipment into the stands when Kerry Collins won games as a starter, got into fights while out, had a potential scare when people thought he was a suicide risk, wasn't managing his money correctly and is broke now, recently arrested for a DUI...

Ooooh, another solid choice.

However, I think the one that sets this one apart from what usually leads to these downfalls and meltdowns: AB was and still -- theoretically -- an ALL-WORLD PLAYER! It's one thing to not quite pan out as a top prospect, or to be a great player for a few years and start to tailspin. This thing seemingly has nothing to do with his own skills/starting job/touches on the field. It's so weird!

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Narcisim is a part of borderline personality disorder, there is narcissistic personality disorder, but I have never met someone who has had that as a diagnosis. 

Splitting is the hallmark feature of borderline...they either love or hate you (and it takes nothing to tip the scale). I’ve met a handful of narcissistic personality disorders and they are BY FAR the most challenging patients. There is an UNBELIEVABLE sense of entitlement and there is no reasoning with them. There is no accountability because it is literally impossible that it’s their fault. I’m not going to internet diagnosis Brown...but boy does he have an uphill battle in regards to his mental health. This is infinitely more complex than Brandon Marshall (borderline personality disorder).

i honestly think that Mike Tomlin should retrospectively get all of the coach of the years while he has Brown. That has to be one of the great coaching feats of all time. Sean McVay having a nice, non-super bowl winning season? Lol...not in the ballpark. 

Edited by sammymvpknight
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Splitting is the hallmark feature of borderline...they either love or hate you (and it takes nothing to tip the scale). I’ve met a handful of narcissistic personality disorders and they are BY FAR the most challenging patients. There is an UNBELIEVABLE sense of entitlement and there is no reasoning with them. There is no accountability because it is literally impossible that it’s their fault. I’m not going to internet diagnosis Brown...but boy does he have an uphill battle in regards to his mental health. This is infinitely more complex than Brandon Marshall (borderline personality disorder).

i honestly think that Mike Tomlin should retrospectively get all of the coach of the years while he has Brown. That has to be one of the great coaching feats of all time. Sean McVay having a nice, non-super bowl winning season? Lol...not in the ballpark. 

Features of borderline vary patient to patient, marshall rodent seemthay borderline to me. I have met people who are very mildly borderline and then other people who are legit bananas. 

A lot of nurses and doctors are borderline personality, but are high functioning. Brown is or was high functioning whatever his disorder. 

14 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Moss was a choirboy compared to this knucklehead.  Antonio Brown's buffoonery is reaching unprecedented levels for non-criminals.  About the only thing worse is when they go out and commit crimes like the TE from New England a few years ago did.  

Well it's not through the lack of trying....he came close.

17 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Features of borderline vary patient to patient, marshall rodent seemthay borderline to me. I have met people who are very mildly borderline and then other people who are legit bananas. 

A lot of nurses and doctors are borderline personality, but are high functioning. Brown is or was high functioning whatever his disorder. 

It's very difficult to be a productive member of society with any personality disorder...most that do it don't have a "disorder" they have "traits". I've known many physicians who likely have narcissist traits or borderline traits...but it's UNBELIEVABLY challenging to get through medical training and stay in business with a personality disorder. The training it too grueling and long...and people just can't keep it together that long...it's not summer camp. The biggest difference between "trait" and "disorder" is how the condition effects roles/relationships. I've known physicians who could have had OCD...and just about all have obsessive compulsive traits. Personality "disorders" are incredibly difficult to manage...and they can be productive member of society with an ideal environment.

Yeah...Brown needs help whatever the heck is going on. It's impressive that Tomlin held it together that long...trait/disorder...doesn't matter...it's darn impressive.

• Like 1

The difference between the past and now is that everything is public nowadays, nothing stays private.

Tom Cable once broke an assistant coach's jaw.  As an assistant coach himself.

Guys in the 80's were on cocaine fuelled ragefests in practice/private.   

AB may have had the fastest meltdown in history - it's hard to argue otherwise.  But it's likely not even top 10 over the history of the NFL, if we were allowed the same level of access of info when it happened then as we do now.   It's just the most recent meltdown, and unlike the past cases, we see *everything* behind the curtain.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, footbull3196 said:

This isn’t worse than manziel or Aaron Hernandez.  It’s getting annoying having to talk about it at this point because I’m tired of hearing these Antonio brown situations, but the dude is just a drama queen, it’s just that he’s one of the worst drama queens we’ve ever seen

It isn't worse than Hernandez, because Hernandez may have committed multiple murders.  His "issues" resulted in the loss of life to someone else.

Brown is the ultimate drama queen.  He's not a criminal, like Hernandez.  Hernandez situation was much more serious.  This Brown stuff is soap opera esque.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

I know the distinction people are trying to make but can we all take a step back to acknowledge "Is what Antonio Brown doing worse than literal murder?" is just a completely insane conversation even with all of the caveats involved? 

Yeah...there is no comparing Brown and Hernandez as human beings. But which player was more detrimental to their football team? Hernandez seemingly was a decent team mate and didn’t sabotage his team. In that regard, I think that Brown takes the cake.