Whats up with Baker

CBrownsman

1 hour ago, Reginaldm9 said:

There are two possibilities: 

1. Either Baker is momentarily not good and Kitchens has made him this way. 

2. Baker is bad now and only stares down his primary target. 

Neither option is good, but I'd argue it's easier to get a different playcaller rather than a different franchise QB. 

All QBs stare their primary receivers often. We just can't have it take that long to get to the second read which means if the WR isn't going to be finishing his route until the 3 second mark he can't be your first read. When we have 4 verticals none of the receivers made it to the point to look for the ball until they made a move 35 yards down the field which means none of them were option before that. That also means there is a good chance Baker has been flushed before their route was complete. That is okay for a route but bad for multiple routes.

7 hours ago, Reginaldm9 said:

There are two possibilities: 

1. Either Baker is momentarily not good and Kitchens has made him this way. 

2. Baker is bad now and only stares down his primary target. 

Neither option is good, but I'd argue it's easier to get a different playcaller rather than a different franchise QB. 

It’s scheme. Baker had success running out of the pocket last year. They think they’re catering the offense to OBJ or something and it isnt Working.

The stat last night about Baker when throwing under 2.5 seconds and over 2.5 seconds pretty much summed up my thoughts

Baker is at his best when getting rid of the ball quickly and decisively. It’s no mistake our best drive last night was heavy on RPO’s and temp

edit: also calling Four Verticals every play doesn’t exactly help with getting the ball out quickly

Like I said coming out, my biggest gripe about Baker is his feeling pressure/pocket ghosts that aren't there and leaving the pocket. He needs to navigate within the pocket, step up, keep his eyes downfield, and get to his secondary/tertiary WRs. He's still REALLY young and I am confident that he will learn how to do this. That said, Freddy needs to shrink the playbook, take away half of the field pre-snap, and NEVER GO EMPTY until he can actually scan the entire field.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

What's wrong with Baker:

-The offense is way too complex

-Baker is putting way too much pressure on himself

-We totally underestimated how good the first 3 defensive ccoordinators we played are

-He has no faith in our OL

I agree with 1,4 completely. I feel like last year's offense was easier and simplified so people played fast and now i feell like they are going far too complex with reads.

Everything last year catered to his strengths and now it's not that same offense.

They need more no huddle, they need to play quicker and need more misdirection to keep defenders off balance. We can't keep walking up to the line, sitting on the playclock, letting defenses get set with normal drop back passing 

• Like 1

Just now, candyman93 said:

I get that the goal for Baker would be have him see the whole field instead of half the field, take advantage of his arm, and use our talent at WR.

However, Baker can’t read defenses right now. I think his confusion is adding to accuracy issues.

True but I'm trying to figure out why last year when he rolled out he would drop dimes to open receivers. Now nobody is close to open when he rolls out

44 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

True but I'm trying to figure out why last year when he rolled out he would drop dimes to open receivers. Now nobody is close to open when he rolls out

It seems as though teams know exactly what we want to do.

Let me rephrase that....

I know exactly what the hell we’re gonna run, so I can only assume the 3 very experienced professional coordinators we’ve faced do as well.

19 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It seems as though teams know exactly what we want to do.

Let me rephrase that....

I know exactly what the hell we’re gonna run, so I can only assume the 3 very experienced professional coordinators we’ve faced do as well.

Right, the main thing I remember about last season was how much presnap movement there was with WRs always in motion, doing jet sweeps, RB misdirections and everything to get the defense offbalance. This first 3 games of this year I have seen absolutely none of that and its more of just a vanilla slow motion offense.

Would LOVE to know the reasoning behind the playcalling going completely away from what make it so good last year.

They have seemed to have lost the creativity aspect of the offense play calling and I would like for somebody in the media to ask Freddy where the hell it went and how hasnt it been adjusted in 3 weeks of failing with the current offense.

Edited by AkronsWitness