Patriots acquire Mohammed Sanu for 2nd Round pick

SteelKing728

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Yeah, because they're good. They would be good in ANY division. 

New England's record against eventual division winners (24-14) makes them the only team in the NFL with a winning record in this category. Against teams who eventually made the playoffs in a given season, the Patriots (60-33, .645) are the best in the league, with the Steelers at a not-so-close second with a .480 winning percentage. 

Their success against teams who finished with a winning record (75-45, .625) is also an NFL-best mark, with the Steelers trailing by a considerable margin at a .440 winning percentage. 

they are obviously the best team over pretty much any multi year time span in recent history.  Incredible

But that doesnt aren't address what the others are saying. 

In individual seasons there are teams just as good as the pats. Who have a much harder time to get to the SB. 

I mean is this really disputable?

When you say "Pats would be good in any division" do you mean good as in make the playoffs, be a  team everyone is afraid to play, and win superbowls now and again (i agree) , or do you think they make the SB every year like now?

Because for example last year Chargers had more wins than the Pats, despite being in a way tougher division and having a tougher schedule but Pats get the bye purely because of the way the schedule is set up. That's just dumb luck, the type of dumb luck that generally goes the Pats favor on top of having one of the best teams every year.

In the NFC in particular there are some very strong teams, who seem just as good as the Pats but have to do so much more just to sniff the SB

This year the NFC West has more top teams than the entire AFC.Maybe NFC North too. 

What about the Saints last 2 years? Extremely tough schedule last year, even harder in the playoffs, fight through all of it just to get taken out on an awful call. The year before -  NO had to play through a division with 3 SB contenders. The last 2 NFC representatives, and the Saints all fighting it out for one number 3 seed.  Put them in the AFC East I don't see how they Don't make the superbowl. Atlanta OR NO. Maybe CAR.

GB 2014 also sticks in the mind. That year we had the great GB NE match which was very even and we thought we could get a Rodgers Brady SB.
Problem is GB had many more obstacles to get there. The harder schedule, a division rival, a road trip to the hardest stadium in the league for the championship game, despite having the same number of wins as NE. And in the end Rodgers just didn't get the bounce of the ball go his way (onside kick, coin toss), whereas Brady got the ball bouncing his way (Butler interception) and you have your result. 

And thats just the NFC. How many times in the AFC do the North and the West have multiple strong teams that make playoffs or at least play the teams hard, and so the KC's or Denver's or Pittsburghs of this world (whoever is the other top AFC team) have to fight through a juggernaut to get to their 12 wins as Pats, especially in years like 2018 and 19 where they are contenders for easiest schedule in the whole league, don't really have to do much at all? 

Edited by The Hitch

6 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

thats not how things work though. just saying "the pats sucks at picking in the 2nd" is beyond awful logic. Again, i get why they did it but it was an absolute overpay.

Oh I don’t disagree. 

id be livid if the saints had made the move

but I trust BB to know what he’s doing

the comp to other second round picks was more tongue in cheek than real commentary

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

No doubt what they have done is impressive, but man I wish my team got a cake walk to a divisional title/first round bye basically every year.

This would hold weight if the Patriots win % wasn’t the exact same against out of division opponents as it is against AFCE opponents.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

Obviously, no one is implying the Pats aren't/have been very good. That would be stupid to do so.

I pointed out the AFCE has been crap for a long time. That can be true with the Patriots also being good relative to the rest of the NFL. It's not confusing.

Any chance they’ve been crap for so long because they are in the same division as the Patriots?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, The Hitch said:

When you say "Pats would be good in any division" do you mean good as in make the playoffs, be a  team everyone is afraid to play, and win superbowls now and again (i agree) , or do you think they make the SB every year like now?

Well, they don't make the superbowl every year. You need more than just a 3 year sample size to say that. They are currently the former (the one you agree with) and, judging by their record against other teams (their record vs Saints, Steelers, Bears just to name three are superior to that of their record vs Miami for example) they'd be that 'win superbowls now and again' team. How long have you held the belief that NE is in an easy div? Is it 10 years? 5 times we've been to the superbowl in that span, if so. If we had swapped the Jets with the Steelers, do you think it would be different?

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

According to JLC (take that for what it's worth), the 49ers were really hard in on Sanu, which may have been why the Pats had to go up to a second. 

Why would the Niners be targeting another WR who works best from the slot when they already have guys Pettis and Samuel working from there? Wouldn't an addition to the boundary make more sense?

5 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Why would the Niners be targeting another WR who works best from the slot when they already have guys Pettis and Samuel working from there? Wouldn't an addition to the boundary make more sense?

Pettis can work the X or slot. Deebo works the Z or slot. The receivers outside of goodwin are largely interchangeable in what they do as they can move through various positions, in and out of the slot. Even Jalen Hurd is learning the F and Y positions. Trent Taylor would be the majority slot guy, but he's hurt, and Sanu would bring something a little different than Taylor with regards to being a "big". Sanu would overlap a bit with Hurd as a big slot, but there's no indication that we will see Hurd at all this season. Also, frankly, Pettis has sucked hard this year. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he were trade bait. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Yeah, the reason Miami, the Bills, and the Jets have been so bad is because they play the Pats twice a year...

Would you ever consider that you're being harsh on Miami, NYJ and BUF? That they're not actually as bad as people think over the span of time since BB and TB were in the league?

How has the rest of the AFC East performed vs other divisions since 2000? This is what happens when you take the best team in the division away

Division W - L - T      Win Pct        Best Team

NFC East  421 - 442 - 1  .487   Eagles (172-115-1)

NFC South  421 - 441 - 2  .487  Saints (157-131-0)

AFC West  401 - 463 - 0  .464  Broncos (169-119-0)

AFC East  395 - 469 - 0  .457  Patriots (214-74-0)

AFC North  389 - 472 - 3  .450  Steelers (188-99-1)

NFC North  389 - 474 - 1  .450  Packers (178-109-1)

AFC South  368 - 464 - 0  .442  Colts (180-108-0)

NFC West  382 - 479 - 3  .442  Seahawks (161-126-1)

They're unfairly maligned. 

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Pettis isn’t the answer