Patriots acquire Mohammed Sanu for 2nd Round pick

SteelKing728

I get the trade, I hate the compensation. Edelman, Gordon, Dorsett, and Harry are all injured, so I get it. Can’t just have two UDFA rookies running around out there. But a second for Sanu? Hell no. I’d have been mildly discontent but accepting of a 3rd. A 2nd is crazy. I find it hard to believe a 30 year old Sanu is the best receiver available for a 2nd round pick. 

And I get the cap situation. Just doesn’t fly with me. I’d have rather just kept DT than trade a second for Sanu. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FinSting said:

I don't get this point of view. This year Sanu is on pace to break his career receptions mark for a season, with his highest catch percentage ever (78.6%). The 2019 version of him is quite productive. 

This guy is a big ol' receiver, gonna be a dangerous red zone target for Brady.

for one, falcons have had to throw more than ever it seems. Secondly, hes not a threat to break anything. Hes a solid player that will get open and cath the ball underneath. Thats who he is now, and while hes certainly a solid player hes not a game changer any means. I dont want to down play him, hes solid, he just isnt a big play guy anymore (and not that he really ever was)

29 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I get the trade, I hate the compensation. Edelman, Gordon, Dorsett, and Harry are all injured, so I get it. Can’t just have two UDFA rookies running around out there. But a second for Sanu? Hell no. I’d have been mildly discontent but accepting of a 3rd. A 2nd is crazy. I find it hard to believe a 30 year old Sanu is the best receiver available for a 2nd round pick. 

And I get the cap situation. Just doesn’t fly with me. I’d have rather just kept DT than trade a second for Sanu. 

I doubt we would have gotten rid of DT had we never had AB and/or expected the fallout to be so severe.

A hefty price for a solid #2 receiver in his 30s. Since the deal was done with the Patriots, the Falcons were going to ask for a steep price even though they play in different conferences especially with the Super Bowl loss.

For any other team, there would be many eyebrows being raised but given how prudent the Pats are with their draft capital, you can't really argue with the trade. Any other team, Sanu probably could be had for a 4th but the Pats had to pay that extra price.

I like Sanu. He's the epitome of a Patriots type player; and to a higher extent, a Patriots type Receiver, given the skill set they tend to go for. But he isn't worth a 2nd rounder. It's not as bad given the amount of draft capital the Patriots have, I suppose.

I have a feeling the Broncos didn't want to trade Sanders to the Patriots given their track history of chasing Sanders and the fact he was traded hours later for less than what Sanu went for...

High price sure, but with the potential all time defense they have, Brady aging, and the injuries they have had to deal with at WR I really don’t mind it. Patriots goal is to win the Super Bowl, they could probably win it without Sanu, but why not give the Goat an extra weapon to go along with that great defense 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

It's actually really interesting to me how in demand Sanu seems to have been. Obviously the 49ers wanted him more than they wanted Manny, and the Patriots were willing to go all the way up to a second round pick just to insure that they beat out the 49ers offering price. I wouldn't have thought that Sanu would have been *that* desirable. If the Lions lose this week (doubtful), they should shop Marvin Jones at that price tag. I like him a little bit more than I do Sanu, and their contract situation is the exact same and they are comparable in their ages

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's actually really interesting to me how in demand Sanu seems to have been. Obviously the 49ers wanted him more than they wanted Manny, and the Patriots were willing to go all the way up to a second round pick just to insure that they beat out the 49ers offering price. I wouldn't have thought that Sanu would have been *that* desirable. If the Lions lose this week (doubtful), they should shop Marvin Jones at that price tag. I like him a little bit more than I do Sanu, and their contract situation is the exact same and they are comparable in their ages

Shrug, I think Jones is a very superior talent to Sanu. Same to Sanders, although I’m aware of his age/contract differences - but on the field, Sanders is the better player. 

Other receivers that I’d rather have that may (Or may not) have been available for a 2nd: Marqise Lee, Taylor Gabriel, Antonio Callaway, Devante Parker, Albert Wilson. Also would’ve checked on Corey Davis.

1 hour ago, Nex_Gen said:

I like Sanu. He's the epitome of a Patriots type player; and to a higher extent, a Patriots type Receiver, given the skill set they tend to go for. But he isn't worth a 2nd rounder. It's not as bad given the amount of draft capital the Patriots have, I suppose.

I have a feeling the Broncos didn't want to trade Sanders to the Patriots given their track history of chasing Sanders and the fact he was traded hours later for less than what Sanu went for...

That is what I was thinking too but then I read that the 49ers wanted Sanu too but when the Patriots got him, they went for Sanders. It made it sound like Sanders was the consolation prize

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dante9876 said:

The amount of pass afforded to the Pat's is astonishing. Any other team in the league gives up a 2nd for sanu and this place will be bashing the hell of them. But it's the Pat's. It's all good. 

I mean cause they're generally vastly superior to everyone else so you'd imagine they know what they're doing