Week 9 GDT: Green Bay Packers (7-1) at Los Angeles Chargers (3-5)

Cakeshoppe

25 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Didn't know Devante played OL? 

The fact that are OT's are still trying to get a hand on Bosa and Ingram, and couldn't block them even a little bit played a much bigger role in what took place then any other factor with the possible exception of the false start penalties putting the Packers out of position for down and distance.

Blaming Rodgers for tunnel vision is done by someone who already had the answer before they started looking for the problem.

BTW- Giving the defense a pass for their performance is truly ridiculous.   They could have put the Chargers in 3 and out and then their would have been more opportunities for the offense to right the ship.   The defense was every bit as bad as the offense on Sunday.    The ST were as bad as the other two groups as well.    There were really no solid group performances in that game.    It's like the players were still at the nightclub instead of at the soccer stadium ready to play a game.

Best to burn the tape and start fresh.  Hopefully that game was a lesson for the team.   What they put on tape Sunday was a complete failure across the board.

You still haven't addressed how a good offense with a hall of fame QB could only have 3 possessions in a half. Yes the OL was terrible but how about going up tempo, shorter routes, getting rid of the ball faster. The defense has been bend but don't break all along.  They make you kick FG's. I can't blame a defense going up against a new offense they had zero tape on. And finally succumbing after being on field the entire game.

Peter Bukowski - I wanted to see if Adams became a crutch for Rodgers on Sunday with the coach's film. It really wasn't. The Chargers had an awesome plan for the Packers, and Green Bay never got into their offense in a meaningful way. Penalties, mistakes, vanilla calls.

• Bosa and Ingram blew up the first two third down plays before they even had a chance to work. You don't expect Bulaga/Bakhtiari to give up those pressures, but most teams don't have a duo like LAC has.
  • I think Matt LaFleur was right to put a lot of the issues from Sunday on him. He got out of the game plan almost immediately, abandoned the run, rarely used play-action, lost the motion, and let Rodgers just go play McCarthy ball. Packers don't have the WR talent to do that.
  • That said, Gus Bradley and the Chargers deserve a TON of credit for the way they played. They blanketed guys in man coverage, passed off well in zone, and got pressure with four. No matter the offense, you're going to struggle to move the ball against a team playing that well.
  • I'd guess Davante Adams was ~70% healthy. He was out there, but lacked the juice and suddenness that makes him special.

1 hour ago, St Vince said:

You still haven't addressed how a good offense with a hall of fame QB could only have 3 possessions in a half. Yes the OL was terrible but how about going up tempo, shorter routes, getting rid of the ball faster. The defense has been bend but don't break all along.  They make you kick FG's. I can't blame a defense going up against a new offense they had zero tape on. And finally succumbing after being on field the entire game.

This defense works fine if the Packer offense outscores the opposition.  Trading field goals for touchdowns is fine but in doing so the other offense often times eats up a lot of clock in doing so.  This in turns limits the number of plays/chances the Packer offense has in the game.  If the Packers don't get turnovers, a short field or touchdowns … we struggle to win the game.  Hoping the defense gets out of the bend but not break mentality but thinking this won't be happening.  Up to the offense to score touchdowns instead of field goals.       

4 hours ago, St Vince said:

The offense only had 3 possessions because the OL blew up, and the defense couldn't get off the field.   You ignored my point that as bad as the offense was(really bad), if the defense had forced SD to go 3 and out as well, we would have had more than 3 possessions in the half.

You seem to want to lay this at the feet of the offense.  I don't understand this.  While the offense was bad, it seems to me it was a 1 week aberration.   The previous 4 weeks were good offensive performances.  

The defense has been garbage for over a month now.    Why would they get a pass?    You pretending it was a new offense is pretty humorous.   It was the same offense.   Made to look good by a pathetic defensive performance that gave SD 6+ yards on 1st down repetitively.   the reason the defense was on the field forever wasn't because SD offense was new.   It was on the field forever because it performed terribly.  Couple that with a terrible offensive performance and you get the show we saw last Sunday.

SD didn't do anything different on offense.  They simply found a team that was soft against the run,  soft in coverage, and left the middle of the field wide open for short passes at will.  Right now the way we play defense is inexcusable.   It might work against a bad team with terrible QB play that makes a ton of mistakes.   Against anything else, the opposing team can hold the ball as long as they want.   For examples see tape of the SD, KC, Oakland, and Philly games.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

that one probably actually tops devante and reddick on how furious it makes me 

Hayward is like a 25/75 name that our guy fell on the unpopular side of.

Reddick is phonetically accurate. His name is just jacked up. 

Devante is just lazy, and sets off my "culturally/racially lazy/dismissive" radar.

29 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

27 carries versus 1 LB: 5.4 YPC

11 carries versus 2 LBs: 1.2 YPC

I'm really not sure what Mike Pettine is doing anymore guys. I would say the players account for maybe 15-20% of our issue stopping the run. The rest is our coach.

Daring teams to commit to running the ball vs the 1LB sets.  CAR, SF and NYG have the players and the willingness to do just that in the next 3 games. 

There better be an adjustment to the philosophy as neither of those teams have the passing game that should be feared compared to the running game.