Tom Time

Shady Slim

Brady 2020  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Tom Brady next season is going to...

• Retire
    • Play on for NE
    • Play on for Someone Else (say)

I think they will find a middle ground in contact negations and Brady will be back on a 1 yr deal with maybe a option for 2021. I wonder if it will get to the point were he's visiting teams like what manning did when he was a FA...that will be fascinating for social media sports news lol

Edited by August4th

17 minutes ago, August4th said:

I think they will find a middle ground in contact negations and Brady will be back on a 1 yr deal with maybe a option for 2021. I wonder if it will get to the point were he's visiting teams like what manning did when he was a FA...that will be fascinating for social media sports news lol

Bradys whole point of nixing the franchise tage was that he wants a multiyear commitment. I highly doubt he would turn around and take a one year deal. Nor would he likely accept a two year deal that doesnt have some kind of significant guaranteed amount that would prohibit any potential benching for a rookie situation. 

Any Patriots/Brady deal will need to be atleast two seasons, and any Brady/New team deal will likely require 2 years fully guaranteed plus another option year.

24 minutes ago, drew39k said:

Bradys whole point of nixing the franchise tage was that he wants a multiyear commitment. I highly doubt he would turn around and take a one year deal. Nor would he likely accept a two year deal that doesnt have some kind of significant guaranteed amount that would prohibit any potential benching for a rookie situation. 

Any Patriots/Brady deal will need to be atleast two seasons, and any Brady/New team deal will likely require 2 years fully guaranteed plus another option year.

Do you think any teams would offer him that? I do think there will be plenty of interest for Brady, but not sure any team would give him 2 years guaranteed. Maybe if the second year is guaranteed at a much lower salary with incentives included or something. I'm not a salary/cap guy so I don't know what's possible.

Brady could still be a Patriot but I was listening to Movin the Chains on SiriusXM he wasn’t happy at all that the Pats didn’t give him an extra year on this current contract even though he asked for it. Apparently his goal was to always retire after 2020 at age 43 (45 was just him selling himself in the media). 

I’m 100% Brady is not retiring. He will either do one season with New England or two seasons with another team. And I’m still leaning towards two seasons with another team. He has already said he is not taking a home team discount this time like he usually does. Nor should he. He will command at least 31M per and maybe as high as 34M. 

I think L.A. Chargers. Reasons:

He is a free agent, if New England and he wanted each other, it would already be a done deal. It isn’t about the money, this is a pride issue for him and Belichick. Don’t think his butt is still chaffed about Bill banning his personal trainer from their practice facility. Also, I believe each in their hearts want to prove to each other that they can win without the other.

His mansion is for sale. You think his wife wants a smaller place? Nope, he is done in New England from my read on the tea leaves from her. He is from the West Coast and would have a decent chance to bring the Chargers a Super Bowl in that new stadium and create a final chapter in his legacy. Will that happened? I doubt it, I believe like most athletes that time overtook don’t see their eroding skills.

I also think his TB12 market in LA has him going there as well. 

Edited by Silver
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

Brees was a FA in 2018.  Saints just resigned him.

I understand that that is a thing that teams are allowed to do.

But the Saints gave him a nice little contract considering his age.

The Patriots have NEVER paid Brady premium QB money, he has ALWAYS acquiesced, and they don't appear poised to start now. But relationships have soured, Tom is unhappy, and most with knowledge of the situation are saying the Tom is finally looking to be shown the respect his deserves, in dollars.

So, given the way things look now, with both sides dug in, another year together seems tough to imagine. It would take one side blinking and giving in to a pretty substantial degree. Again, historically, when it comes down to it Brady always gets a tight bootyhole and takes a below-market deal. Maybe he does again, but this year he's certainly been doing his best job yet at bluffing. Or, maybe he fully intends to follow through, but RKK, in the 11th hour, just can't bear to say goodbye to his boy Tommy and ends up signing a hefty check.

I dunno. Even beyond that, there'd be a fair amount of fall out if it happened (how does BB feel? Would Brady actually attend OTAs? etc). But at the moment, it looks like it'd take a lot to bring the two sides back together.

2 hours ago, lolsurebro said:

Why on earth is that easily seen as a possibility to you?

Are you serious? Bill has made it subtly or not-so-subtly clear that he hopes Tom decides to move on so that he can move forward with the next phase of the franchise.

If you don't see that, it's because you live in homer fan-fiction land.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Silver said:

I think L.A. Chargers. Reasons:

He is a free agent, if New England and he wanted each other, it would already be a done deal. It isn’t about the money, this is a pride issue for him and Belichick. Don’t think his butt is still chaffed about Bill banning his personal trainer from their practice facility. Also, I believe each in their hearts want to prove to each other that they can win without the other.

His mansion is for sale. You think his wife wants a smaller place? Nope, he is done in New England from my read on the tea leaves from her. He is from the West Coast and would have a decent chance to bring the Chargers a Super Bowl in that new stadium and create a final chapter in his legacy. Will that happened? I doubt it, I believe like most athletes that time overtook don’t see their eroding skills.

I also think his TB12 market in LA has him going there as well. 

Pats are still the top option and if McDaniels doesn’t get the Browns’ job then that should only increase the chances of Brady returning to the Pats.

FYI, Brady And Giselle just bought a place in Connecticut that’s more the 50% larger than his Brookline MA home. They also sold their place in LA years ago to Dr. Dre. So if his wife and kids are all in CT then I’d think a team based on the west coast seems a little less likely...

Edited by silence22

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

If, as Brady has said, he is not giving a home town discount, do the Pats want him at $36M+ per year?  What do you think he will get paid?  At least 30M

Brady ain't worth that much anymore. After this past season's performance, $28 Million per would be generous.

On 1/4/2020 at 10:53 PM, wackywabbit said:

I don't understand why anyone thinks it's likely he won't be back in NE.

He sort of hinted as much, didn't he? That surprised the hell out of me, but he did make it seem like he's going elsewhere. Of course, could be a negotiating kind of trick sort of deal...

47 minutes ago, DannyB said:

I understand that that is a thing that teams are allowed to do.

But the Saints gave him a nice little contract considering his age.

The Patriots have NEVER paid Brady premium QB money, he has ALWAYS acquiesced, and they don't appear poised to start now. But relationships have soured, Tom is unhappy, and most with knowledge of the situation are saying the Tom is finally looking to be shown the respect his deserves, in dollars.

So, given the way things look now, with both sides dug in, another year together seems tough to imagine. It would take one side blinking and giving in to a pretty substantial degree. Again, historically, when it comes down to it Brady always gets a tight bootyhole and takes a below-market deal. Maybe he does again, but this year he's certainly been doing his best job yet at bluffing. Or, maybe he fully intends to follow through, but RKK, in the 11th hour, just can't bear to say goodbye to his boy Tommy and ends up signing a hefty check.

I dunno. Even beyond that, there'd be a fair amount of fall out if it happened (how does BB feel? Would Brady actually attend OTAs? etc). But at the moment, it looks like it'd take a lot to bring the two sides back together.

Wrong. Brady has been the highest (or top 3) paid QB multiple times in his career.

38 minutes ago, silence22 said:

Pats are still the top option and if McDaniels doesn’t get the Browns’ job then that should only increase the chances of Brady returning to the Pats.

FYI, Brady And Giselle just bought a place in Connecticut that’s more the 50% larger than his Brookline MA home. They also sold their place in LA years ago to Dr. Dre. So if his wife and kids are all in CT then I’d think a team based on the west coast seems a little less likely...

Did not know that! NFL news outlets underplayed that he bought a house, all I ever heard was he is selling his current home.

Definitely dings my argument, but I still think he wants out.