Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

I mean, you didn't invest three first round picks and a third into a slightly upgraded version of Trask, so you're still winning this game, my friend. 

I'm not sure that Mac is slightly upgraded tbh.

9 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Apparently Mac has moved into the betting favorite for the 3rd pick.

He was almost always the betting favorite. It flipped after Fields' pro day, but then flipped back a couple of days ago. He's always had the most tickets I'm pretty sure, but some big bets came in after Fields' second pro day that flipped the money share. 

24 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Apparently Mac has moved into the betting favorite for the 3rd pick.

I'm still utterly blown away by this. As a Rams fan, I'm thrilled it's going to be Mac Jones, but as someone who bet on Fields to go #3 I'm pretty pissed and perplexed.

2 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Oh you're back there again already??

Nope, still doesn't make any damn sense to me. The Mike Silver report isn't a good look given how specific it was, but I can't wrap my head around it still. I think it's all still largely guess work in terms of the reporting. 

When I update my arbitrary power rankings, I think it'll favor Lance instead of Fields, but that's the only major change. It'll probably be like 55 / 45 / 10? 

Still think it’s gonna be Lance and I haven’t wavered. Also has the least $ on him, so Vegas can make a killing like they always do. 

If it’s Mac Jones, everyone in that FO needs to be on the hot-seat, if Jones isn’t a Top 10 QB in two years, everyone fired. 

41 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Still think it’s gonna be Lance and I haven’t wavered. Also has the least $ on him, so Vegas can make a killing like they always do. 

If it’s Mac Jones, everyone in that FO needs to be on the hot-seat, if Jones isn’t a Top 10 QB in two years, everyone fired. 

They wouldn't be. The problem is that Mac Jones with the 49ers and Shanny is probably going to be just fine. He's not going to be great, but if he's just a healthy Jimmy G (not a super difficult hurdle), the team will very likely be competitive during his rookie deal. I don't think you see any years where they are just bottoming out. And head coaches / GMs can live a very long time in that "we are fairly competent" area 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Nope, still doesn't make any damn sense to me. The Mike Silver report isn't a good look given how specific it was, but I can't wrap my head around it still. I think it's all still largely guess work in terms of the reporting. 

When I update my arbitrary power rankings, I think it'll favor Lance instead of Fields, but that's the only major change. It'll probably be like 55 / 45 / 10? 

The 49ers trading up to #3 to draft Mac Jones over Fields will receive more criticism than the Giants drafting Daniel Jones over Dwayne Haskins.  Prepare 49er's fans.  It's going to be apocalyptic.

I'm not going to say I agree with the criticism.  If the 49ers, who have much more inside information and expertise and have researched the QB class extensively feel like Jones is better for them than Fields, I respect that decision.  But the media and group think will not be so understanding.

2 minutes ago, Gmen said:

The 49ers trading up to #3 to draft Mac Jones over Fields will receive more criticism than the Giants drafting Daniel Jones over Dwayne Haskins.  Prepare 49er's fans.  It's going to be apocalyptic.

I'm not going to say I agree with the criticism.  If the 49ers, who have much more inside information and expertise and have researched the QB class extensively feel like Jones is better for them than Fields, I respect that decision.  But the media and group think will not be so understanding.

It has already started on twitter lol. 

The entirety of Silver's comments: 

1) As per NFL Network policy, I am not allowed to "tip picks"... and, in any case, this is not a report. But I've been asked a lot, on here & elsewhere, which player I think the 49ers are targeting with the third pick, and I've had some conversations w/ people who know things... 
2) I have not talked to Kyle Shanahan, who will make the ultimate decision, as he should. He's got a much envied offensive system and a very specific idea of what kind of QB can thrive in that system, and the Niners just made perhaps their boldest trade in history to get to 3... 
3) It is my belief that the player the Niners were targeting when they made the trade--under the assumption that Lawrence & Wilson would go 1-2 to the Jags and Jets--was Alabama QB Mac Jones. (Obviously, you only make this move if you also are very high on Lawrence and Wilson)... 
4) Once they made the trade, Shanahan, GM John Lynch & other important decision-makers had the luxury of doing some extra digging. Both Ohio State's Justin Fields & North Dakota St.'s Trey Lance have many attractive qualities, and there's no reason not to continue the process... 
5) I'd expect, in all likelihood, that Shanahan will stick with his original inclination and won't end up deciding he likes Fields or Lance more than Jones... and that he'll never get a shot at Lawrence or Wilson, who will be off the board... 
6) Why Jones? Among other things, the Niners believe he has uncanny pocket skills, especially out of the shotgun formation, and next-level footwork. He can slide in the pocket to either side and react quickly to onrushing defenders, even unblocked ones... 
7) Jones comes from a tennis-playing family and spent some time on the hardcourt as a kid, and that seems to correlate with the exceptional footwork. He clearly has absorbed a lot of football knowledge, and the synchronization of his throwing motion and footwork is impressive... 
😎 Again, this is not a report; just telling you what I perceive to be going on. Unless and until Kyle proclaims it, there will be enough drama to keep us at least a little on edge until the pick is announced next Thursday night. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

The entirety of Silver's comments: 

Posted this in the Raider Section:

When has Michael Silver been right about literally anything in his life? Dude has an "obsession" with always being right and tries to be a "prediction artist" (sports, politics, etc) and is literally never right. 

I would still say your +500 on Trey Lance is likely to hit. I mean, sure, could be Mac Jones, could be any of the three to be honest. Although I'd still say 50% Lance, 30% Fields, 20% Jones.

(Talking about a Raider Poster about the bet, obviously)

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Posted this in the Raider Section:

When has Michael Silver been right about literally anything in his life? Dude has an "obsession" with always being right and tries to be a "prediction artist" (sports, politics, etc) and is literally never right. 

I would still say your +500 on Trey Lance is likely to hit. I mean, sure, could be Mac Jones, could be any of the three to be honest. Although I'd still say 50% Lance, 30% Fields, 20% Jones.

(Talking about a Raider Poster about the bet, obviously)

49ers twitter is very into him as being plugged in on the niners. I'm not aware as to how good / bad he has been in the past, he's never struck me as that kind of insider, but that's actually a thing apparently. People value his opinion with regards to the 49ers, so I assume its based in some sort of truth. 

As I've said in the 49er forum, where you stand almost explicitly depends on whether or not you think the 49ers have started telling anyone yet. In 2018, nobody had Baker until a couple of days before the draft because Dorsey didn't tell anyone. If we are still sitting in a situation where nobody but the main 3 people know (lynch, shanny, peters), then this is *all* speculation and these people don't have a better idea than i do. 

That being said, I have a feeling like at the very least, Mike Shanahan knows as well, and I'm torn on what that means.  A lot of the stuff feels like it could come from him. But Mike was kind of weirdly secretive in the NFL too (he never visited Jay Cutler, never worked him out or went to his pro day...then traded up twice I think to take him), so that seems like it would be weird if he were the one leaking. But if they've opened it up to others at this point? Then it makes all the sense in the world.