2020 Off-season Discussion Thread

squire12

about Derek Wolfe:

"He has visits lined up with Arizona, NE, Bal and Cincy "

That comment is from 3/11 so I don't know if he made any of those visits - but it mentions that he was a Cincinnati Bearcat in college and was considering a return to the Queen City. The broncos have not offered him a contract

"...He hasn’t achieved the same pass-rush productivity. He’s more of a run-stopper nowadays, which is still valuable . He’s accustomed to playing 3-technique in an odd front scheme with ample experience playing on the edge as well"

2 hours ago, thrILL! said:

I can't see them trading Howard just yet.  Brady will love another athletic TE like him.

Arians is notorious for ignoring his TEs. Doesn't mean they'd trade him, but Arians doesn't have a history of getting them involved

• Like 1

3 hours ago, squire12 said:

I dont think Taylor starts over Turner.   But Taylor would be an option as a RG and you kick Turner out to RT if Wagner were to get hurt or suck bad.  A 1/2 game or 1+ game of the former is 1 thing, the latter of that is not appealing.

So. Turner is our swing? 

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

I think its time for all of Packer Nation to (grudgingly) accept the reality that Billy Turner... is not really an OT candidate, swing or otherwise.
It's a position that needs to be filled in draft or FA for a team making a run. They tried with Alex Light last year and that was also a no- go.
Turner can get you out of a game, but he can't be the plan for 2020.

Think he was a fine starter last year. But if we keep Lane he’s the swing... which either way you’re overpaying for atm

2 hours ago, Lodestar said:

Why would we do that when Turner started last year?

To me, looking at that depth chart above, if we can sign a starting DL in FA then I think you can plug the rest through the draft. Maybe we end up having to start Lowry again. We're fortunate that a lot of our more urgent needs are at non-premium positions — WR, TE, LB, S.

Lane started last year too. 

Someone is getting bumped off starter and we have an expensive swing guy available rn any way u cut.

1 hour ago, MaximusGluteus said:

I refuse to believe we're going to go into this season with the same IDL (plus possibly a rookie) as last season.  Gute and Pettine can't be that dense, can they?

I’d argue the fan base is overreacting to 1 opponent. Take away SF and the DL managed. Dean/Tyler graded as  replacement level guys, not holes (like 60s in pff). Then there are 2 wild cards (keke and Adams). Ideally you’d have 1 more quality player but considering the limited resources and teams have to pick holes, what we have is in fact manageable.

Through his first 2 years, Gute has gone into the season thinking we were okay at a position that had glaring deficiencies. In 2018 it was Safety...Gute felt Brice was good enough to start even though he is a fringe roster player, and didn't address the position until 2019. In 2019 it was WR...Gute hasn't addressed it "yet." I'm hoping the 2020 position isn't DL. I hope Gute doesn't look at Lowry, Adams and Lancaster and say "we're okay" because it ain't happening with that group after 97.