Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

4 minutes ago, theJ said:

Hey serious talk @Dome, get some O'Keefes working hands. Put that on every night, and it'll help big time. About a 1000x as effective as lotion. 

I’ve got two tubes lol

im always stocked up on that stuff 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, August4th said:

I think the government should start forcing more lockdowns like now...we have to many selfish/oblivious people right now who are not taking this seriously 

They’re starting to in some places.  

Some goobers continue to insist this is nothing, a cold, whatever and purposefully go about their day like a moron just to show people how much of a crock of **** they think it is.

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

One of the local homeless shelters is desperate for food donations.  With churches suspending events and restaurant operations slowing down to a crawl, they aren't getting any sort of food donations that they normally rely upon to keep feeding everyone.  My pastor just asked the group I lead if we had a few volunteers to come into the church kitchen and cook a meal for 40 people.  We're going to do that and more.  Just another group that is facing a really tough time from this.  

It's the indirect stuff like this from the virus that I think a lot of people just don't give a **** about.  My girlfriend has a co-worker who is complaining nonstop about being stuck in her apartment, it could be A LOT worse than having to watch Netflix and actually cook a meal for yourself for once.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Some goobers continue to insist this is nothing, a cold, whatever and purposefully go about their day like a moron just to show people how much of a crock of **** they think it is.

In the rural community I work in, lots of people with this attitude are much older. Super conservative retired or near retirement age folks make up a lot of the population.

A good portion of the people most at risk are the ones who staunchly believe this is a bunch of excitement over nothing. Some political media stunt. 

• Like 1

I'm worried about the youth not taking this serously as well

just the other night I saw a bunch of teenagers get in a car to probably hang out somewhere...I wonder how many college age/teenagers are throwing parties right now since their is no school..parents should be locking that down..keep your older kids home

Edited by August4th

This one is from the Imperial College COVID-19 Response Team in the UK

You'll have to download it to read it,  but its another well - done piece

They talk about the efficacy of mitigation vs suppression and the fact that we'll need both strategies to effectively flatten the curve
The part that caught my eye however, was their comment that while suppression works ( closed schools, businesses + distancing) we will have to keep it up for many months, because if we don't - COVID-19 will keep coming back again until we have a vaccine or drug treatments.
Vaccines/drugs could be as much as 18 months or more before they are ready to be rolled out.
( you've seen the lines at grocery stores, now imagine the lines for a vaccine)

I'll be curious to hear others' thoughts on their modeling conclusions. @ramssuperbowl99

https://t.co/AwE2cHIbeJ

* We conclude that the effectiveness of any one intervention in isolation is likely to be limited, requiring multiple interventions to be combined to have a substantial impact on transmission.

"...Two fundamental strategies are possible:
(a) mitigation, which focuses on slowing but not necessarily stopping epidemic spread – reducing peak healthcare demand while protecting those most at risk of severe disease from infection, and
(b) suppression, which aims to reverse epidemic growth, reducing case numbers to low levels and maintaining that situation indefinitely.

Each policy has major challenges. We find that that optimal mitigation policies (combining home isolation of suspect cases, home quarantine of those living in the same household as suspect cases, and social distancing of the elderly and others at most risk of severe disease) might reduce peak healthcare demand by 2/3 and deaths by half. However, the resulting mitigated epidemic would still likely result in hundreds of thousands of deaths and health systems
(most notably intensive care units) being overwhelmed many times over. For countries able to achieve it, this leaves suppression as the preferred policy option.

The major challenge of suppression is that this type of intensive intervention package will need to be maintained until a vaccine becomes available
(potentially 18 months or more) – given that we predict that transmission will quickly rebound if interventions are relaxed. We show that intermittent social distancing – triggered by trends in disease surveillance – may allow interventions to be relaxed temporarily in relative short time windows, but measures will need to be reintroduced if or when case numbers rebound. Last, while experience in China and now South Korea show that suppression is possible in the short term, it remains to be seen whether it is possible long-term, and whether the social and economic costs of the interventions adopted thus far can be reduced"

3 minutes ago, August4th said:

I'm worried about the youth not taking this serously as well

They aren’t. Saw my cousin walking out of the grocery store (he’s 24, but still very much “youth minded”) and asked him what he was up to. 

he said “not social distancing.”  Laughed and held up a 30-pack and got into an SUV loaded with people headed to what I’m guessing was a rather large party.

I was so mad I couldn’t even say anything, just walked away.

he lives in the same town as my grandma who is near death already, and my grandpa, and my mom who has asthma.

I could’ve killed him 

16 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

They’re starting to in some places.  

Just today in my office there’s 2 co-workers who are being complete morons about the situation. One was home sick yesterday and today is coughing all over everything and laughing at people who want him to stay away and go home. And the other just came back from Texas. Who knows what was on that flight home.