Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

It gets worse.

Every American suffering from a normal ailment that doctors can fix will also die because the doctors will be overwhelmed with this pandemic.

Anyone have the figures on how many lives are saved by medical professionals in a 6 month period?

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, The LBC said:

To be clear, it's chloroquine diphosphate salt + zinc (zinc itself has it's own side-effects, but beggars can't be choosers sometimes, we probably have to TRIAGE this at this point), which is what was given (to my knowledge at least as recently as soldiers deployed in Iraq) as an anti-malarial ahead of deployment.

For those who aren't aware, Ben served in the Army during Operation Iraqi Freedom before he got into sports journalism.

Yea, we are still in the triage phase and my wife was explaining to me it is not always that simple.  Apparently that medication cannot be given to people with underlying heart conditions, so while hopefully he proves effective it still potentially only solves the problem for some people.  Obviously better than nothing, but they are reporting it as if it could be a cure all and that  appears to not be the case. 

44 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

Going for a hike or doing any kind of sports is not the best idea. If you get injured in the mountain, who's going to rescue you? Are they taking you to a hospital to fix a fractured bone or an ankle injury?

Absolutely worst place to be right now is a hospital, esp. in an area with a lot of active cases going on.  Best to be active but try to avoid anything that can result in a trauma...obviously that sucks, but not worth the contraction risk.  Hospitals are awful at containment in an ER setting. 

10 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

It gets worse.

Every American suffering from a normal ailment that doctors can fix will also die because the doctors will be overwhelmed with this pandemic.

Anyone have the figures on how many lives are saved by medical professionals in a 6 month period?

Well to be fair, a normal ailment is likely not life threatening.  I get what you are saying, but people with serious problems/issues have the ability to go to rehab centers and the like where they are not allowing suspected Coronavirus patients.  Obviously they are not as well equipped as a hospital, but there are plans in place (or at least should be) and most doctors/nurses right now are working around the clock so whereas maybe they could see everyone in a 10 hour shift, well that is now a 16 hour shift 7 days a week.  Hopefully those casualty cases are kept to a minimum because it would REALLY suck to be someone with a condition and just get passed over because of this virus (or any reason). 

My brother is a pediatrician in the Canary Islands, Spain. It's one of the least affected regions in the country. However, in his hospital, there are 55 pediatricians and 8 are already infected (sympthomatic, not taking into account asympthomatic people). So yeah, in a weak or so all the doctors will be infected.

There are a lot of HIIT videos in youtube + multiple apps in your phone. Use them, and if it's not enough jerk off while looking a Killian Jornet documentary.

9 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

My brother is a pediatrician in the Canary Islands, Spain. It's one of the least affected regions in the country. However, in his hospital, there are 55 pediatricians and 8 are already infected (sympthomatic, not taking into account asympthomatic people). So yeah, in a weak or so all the doctors will be infected.

All the doctors didn't catch it in China, but they're all going to catch it in Spain?

1 hour ago, VonKarman said:

Going for a hike or doing any kind of sports is not the best idea. If you get injured in the mountain, who's going to rescue you? Are they taking you to a hospital to fix a fractured bone or an ankle injury?

Can't be scared to live life man.  Just need to use caution.

16 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

Yea, we are still in the triage phase and my wife was explaining to me it is not always that simple.  Apparently that medication cannot be given to people with underlying heart conditions, so while hopefully he proves effective it still potentially only solves the problem for some people.  Obviously better than nothing, but they are reporting it as if it could be a cure all and that  appears to not be the case. 

Not a cure but along with other therapies would potentially make the disease much less serious to the point where we could return to semi-normal life and wouldnt have to worry as much about failure of hospitals 

If we keep the people who can take chloroquine or whatever other anti-viral treatments we find that work out of the hospitals its also a lot better for those who cant take those treatments, because we are freeing up ventilators and doctors time for them, getting doctors back to health again when they catch it, and keeping the economy moving in the meantime 

Very encouraging news

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

Yup.  Like I said, it's the zinc that's the concern because zinc in very small doses can have benefits, but zinc-toxicity carries some serious side-effects (just off the top of my head, I know that zinc-toxicity often causes the exhibition of "flu-like symptoms" - and that could cause an even greater amount of panic as people then mistakenly think that they're showing symptoms despite thinking they've been inoculated ... and well, you do the math...) for both cardiac and stomach/digestive patients (which, again mostly just spitballing here but I'd feel fairly safe in the assumption, South Koreans probably deal with a ton less than Americans do just based on comparative diets and widespread obesity of here).

• Like 1

Up to 20% of people hospitalized with coronavirus in the United States are young adults between ages 20 to 44, a new federal study shows.

While the risk of dying was significantly higher in older people, the report issued Wednesday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows younger people are making up a big portion of hospitalizations.

Source

22 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

well im having salted zinc for dinner tonight

Yes, not sure if I said this a few pages back when I told everyone to take zinc, but you need to take it with a meal. It can be hard on your intestines 

5 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Yup.  Like I said, it's the zinc that's the concern because zinc in very small doses can have benefits, but zinc-toxicity carries some serious side-effects (just off the top of my head, I know that zinc-toxicity often causes the exhibition of "flu-like symptoms" - and that could cause an even greater amount of panic as people then mistakenly think that they're showing symptoms despite thinking they've been inoculated ... and well, you do the math...) for both cardiac and stomach/digestive patients (which, again mostly just spitballing here but I'd feel fairly safe in the assumption, South Koreans probably deal with a ton less than Americans do just based on comparative diets and widespread obesity of here).

From what I have read, you can take up for 40mg a day before you get zinc-toxicity. That's a lot. Obviously that depends on your height weight etc but that's what multiple articles stipulated 

I have 50mg tablets that I bought recently. I am taking 25mg every other day with a meal. Even that seems a tad excessive 

• Like 2