Where will Drew Brees play next year?

Webmaster

What about Minnesota? They're set to lose Bradford in 2018.

He'd have to deal with Rodgers, and their OL isn't great, but they have a very good defense and a stable HC. Indoor stadium IIRC (although trips to GB and Chicago in the winter won't be appealing). 

5 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Oh, I absolutely get your point and it's the way the Jags should look at it.  But if I was Brees and looking at signing with Jax...I'd point out that Lavonte David, Vinnie Curry, and Kelechi Osemele were the three picks right after Brock.  Is one of those guys good enough quick enough to help Peyton get two rings instead of one?  

So I'd try to get a clause saying no QBs before round 4 the first year or two I was there.  

Could see that happening as I'm sure on the open market he'd have multiple suitors. Either way, I'm down. We need better QB play in JAX and Brees would be a major upgrade.

37 minutes ago, Webmaster said:

Very interesting idea.   I wonder what the Jags fans think.  @iPwn, @Adrenaline_Flux, @.Buzz, @Tugboat, @Jags

If Brees is coming with Payton at the helm, sure.  Maybe there's something there.  Keep the defensive end of the staff intact and let Payton run as HC and full control on the Offensive side of the ball?  If he'd go for that...yeah.  But i'm not even sure this team is built to accommodate a Payton/Brees offense.  Even ditching the offense end of the entire staff (which should be done regardless probably)...Things are shaped pretty heavily toward a run-first possession offense (among the quality pieces at least).  We're also on the verge of losing a key piece in Allen Robinson.  Maybe Brees signing on changes his perspective on that, but he's going to be looking for a Hopkins sort of deal even still (or a Franchise Tag), which means there's only so much money left to throw at Brees.  Can't go full debonair.  I question why Brees would want to come here in the first place.  Even more so if the money isn't completely over the top ludicrous in addition to the "fit" on the field.

51 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

The Jaguars are an interesting option because they should be good enough to win six or seven games in the AFC South, which likely knocks them out of the race for one of the top quarterbacks in the draft. My main hesitation is that it looks like Marrone wants to build around a power running game and defense and I can't envision Brees signing up to hand the ball to Fournette 350 times next year.

It is an interesting potential route to the playoffs.  The AFC South is basically what the NFC South was for a while.  The Titans seem headed in the right direction, but it's absolutely still a division completely up for grabs.  Least bad team takes the division crown.  That does actually make sense as a motive for Brees if he looks at it that way.  Better than average shot at a divisional seed playoff berth.

But your other point is also legit.  It doesn't seem like that's the direction they've started trying to build the team toward...this time.  It wouldn't be a perfect fit, and there'd be plenty of work still to do on actually fixing that OLine so they can pass protect competently in passing situations, without leaning on the running game to carry everything.

Mostly, i just think a QB the calibre of Brees would have to be insane to sign on to an organization that's been as dysfunctional as the Jaguars for as long as they've been bad.  The team is frankly, a laughingstock.  That's one mammoth reclamation project for Drew Brees to decide to take on with his dwindling twilight years.  Even if Payton is coming with him as a package deal.

34 minutes ago, iPwn said:

I wouldn’t worry about what Marrone wants to do. He shouldn’t have a job with us come next season. But then again, we are the Jaguars, so who knows.

At this point though, I’d be all for signing a vet or trading for someone like Alex Smith. 

Yeah.  This too.  I wouldn't worry so much about Marrone in this instance.  He should probably be gone.  And if the Brees+Payton power duo were actually willing to try to "fix" Jacksonville...i'd be all for it, and downright upset if Marrone wasn't slingshotted into the sun to make room.

I'm just not sure it works even then.

Arizona is a valid option. I could see Washington or Cincinatti biting if Washington doesn't work out something with Cousins (likelyish) or if Cincinatti decides they're fully fed up with Dalton (that contract is actually VERY easy for them to get out of next offseason.) Haven't seen either of them mentioned yet, presumably because they already have a QB on roster right now, but that can change fast. Especially if and when Brees becomes available.

6 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

How bad will the saints be without Brees? 

1-2-3 wins max?

Depends on the replacement. Average QB, like 5-11. Bad QB, like 1-15. 

Also would depend on our new coach. If it's a guy who can turn around our defense and not waste everything like Payton and his staff always have, then that obviously changes the outlook of the record with or without Brees. 

11 hours ago, Webmaster said:

I noticed the Saints fans were discussing the possibility that both Sean Payton and Drew Brees could be gone if the Saints can't turn it around after an 0-2.   If that happens, where will Drew Brees go next season?   What team could he turn into a contender?  

I could see him having a final hurrah with a team like Denver or Miami or even Washington if they lose Cousins.

Archived