Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

2 minutes ago, mission27 said:

If anything fat people may be less likely to die of COVID because they are more likely to die of other natural causes before getting to an age where COVID becomes a real concern 

Food for thought 

I see what you did there.

Offering food to fat people

• Like 1

My boss who took a bunch of precautions for us yesterday (fixed the time clock, build plexiglass boxes to help protect the cashiers, gave out back paid raises and started moving the older folks off the sales floor and into the back) has now marked dots all over the store, 6’ apart, so people have a visual cue on how far apart to be. He also is stopping people at the door asking them to limit group sizes and to do enough shopping that they don’t have to come back for a few days 

he also increased the employee discount on groceries from 10% to 20%

for how awful things are in the world, store morale is at an all time high 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Dome said:

My boss who took a bunch of precautions for us yesterday (fixed the time clock, build plexiglass boxes to help protect the cashiers, gave out back paid raises and started moving the older folks off the sales floor and into the back) has now marked dots all over the store, 6’ apart, so people have a visual cue on how far apart to be. He also is stopping people at the door asking them to limit group sizes and to do enough shopping that they don’t have to come back for a few days 

he also increased the employee discount on groceries from 10% to 20%

for how awful things are in the world, store morale is at an all time high 

You were required to stay 6’ away from customers before the pandemic anyway tho right 

42 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Idk I think age in and of itself is clearly a risk factor and by far the biggest.  Older people have weaker immune systems and it seems like a lot of them just can't fight this off. 

I havent seen all the cross tabs but my suspicion is that the vast majority of deaths from people with heart disease, lung disease, diabetes, etc. are old folks and the reason the fatality rates are so high (like 6% for people with diabetes or whatever) is more so that a lot of people with diabetes are old than that old people have diabetes.  I'd be curious to CFR for people under the age of 70 with diabetes, for example.  My guess is its still pretty low or we'd be seeing a hell of a lot more middle aged people dropping dead right now in NYC.

Underlying conditions clearly don't help and obesity leads to underlying conditions, but in this particular case I think age is by far and away the biggest factor.  

isn't half of nyc just fat italian dudes saying **** like "badabing badaboom i'm dyin ova here ay"

• Like 2

I’m watching Contagion right now. One of the things they mentioned is that the CDC was viewed to have overreacted for H1N1. Then I did some digging and I’m seeing a lot of articles about how the WHO and CDC both overreacted and did too much, raised too many alarms, and spent far too much money to combat a—relatively speaking—small bug.

Kinda weird to read this after all the claims throughout these threads that we didn’t do anything for H1N1. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pwny said:

I’m watching Contagion right now. One of the things they mentioned is that the CDC was viewed to have overreacted for H1N1. Then I did some digging and I’m seeing a lot of articles about how the WHO and CDC both overreacted and did too much, raised too many alarms, and spent far too much money to combat a—relatively speaking—small bug.

Kinda weird to read this after all the claims throughout these threads that we didn’t do anything for H1N1. 

Fwiw I thought the reaction was a little severe at the time too. 

I was also 19ish and indestructible. So there's that too. 

Just now, candyman93 said:

It will be fun to roll into hurricane season with this virus still around.

Can’t imagine the logistical nightmare this would be for southern states.

was thinking about that and also have to worry about tornadoes and wild fires

I hope mother nature is easy on us this yr

1 minute ago, candyman93 said:

It will be fun to roll into hurricane season with this virus still around.

Can’t imagine the logistical nightmare this would be for southern states.

Maybe it'll die off with the heat by then.

Doubtful but one can hope