Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Plus side:

I never had much of any faith in humanity before all this. The Walking Dead was spot on about how mankind would react in the event of a global catastrophe. This isn’t exactly it, but a pandemic is close. I mean, I’ve witnessed old people get TP stolen from their carts, people buy up all the meat, cleaning supplies, 10 gallons of milk, hoard water bottles...none of this is a surprise to me unfortunately.

Man I forgot the great TP shortage was this year. Seems so long ago already.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

Man I forgot the great TP shortage was this year. Seems so long ago already.

I stopped “going shopping” and have been “buying” for 3 months largely ignoring prices. In March here for about a week, the only non cold meat you could find was bacon. Ridiculous.

24 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I stopped “going shopping” and have been “buying” for 3 months largely ignoring prices. In March here for about a week, the only non cold meat you could find was bacon. Ridiculous.

Meat shortage I understood.  Lots of packing plants shut down because of outbreaks.  I definitely stocked up on some frozen ground beef.  I also bought two cans of spam. Have never tried it, but I’m gonna.

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Meat shortage I understood.  Lots of packing plants shut down because of outbreaks.  I definitely stocked up on some frozen ground beef.  I also bought two cans of spam. Have never tried it, but I’m gonna.

Agreed that at least meat made sense. If you have a deep freezer, stock away. But what morons are buying 10 gallons of milk with a 3 week shelf life or 3 years worth of TP? Or apparently the people I saw buy 3 20 pound sacks of flour. Apparently they’re going to make 5 years worth of pancakes.

• Like 3

On 30/06/2020 at 7:30 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Get well soon guys. @Mega Ron had some breathing exercises he said were a life saver.

It really does help with this thing.

If you have the nastier version of it, be careful that you don't think you've beaten it after a week or so. It can come back in a big way.

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Toxic tribalism, or more generally, low quality political dialogue and a lack of intra-party accountability is a feature of pretty much every developed country, yet we are the only country unable to adequately contain this pandemic.

There are many, many reasons why the US has failed as a state to respond, but just based on how other countries have operated, the reason is not because both sides don't like each other. What is unique to America is a critical mass of people who refuse to take this seriously and have elected to pretend this pandemic simply doesn't exist. Full stop. If you want to figure out why America has failed in such a unique way, start there.

Alamy_A14A69-c-29b8790.jpg?quality=90&cr

Pandemic? What pandemic?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Imagine blindly following a leader and not being rooted in individualism though...or just turn back the clock 80-90 years. 

those aren’t the only two options, though, and the fact that so many people think that is one of the deepest rots in american culture. there’s a truly stunning aversion in this country to thinking communally and acting individually in a way that’s best for the whole.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Spam is actually pretty tasty, used to eat it all the time when camping.  Slice it like a 1/2 inch thick and then pan fry it.  It's super salty but is an easy replacement for bacon at breakfast.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pmk said:

Spam is actually pretty tasty, used to eat it all the time when camping.  Slice it like a 1/2 inch thick and then pan fry it.  It's super salty but is an easy replacement for bacon at breakfast.

It’s a thing that sounds gross that isn’t.  

What makes me sad is people cant even take a pandemic seriously when its ravaged their country. How are we supposed to address climate change properly when we cant even address a pandemic that's killed 130K people properly?

Did COVID-19 Lockdowns Reach Back in Time to Affect Behavior Before They Were Imposed?

Trends in Massachusetts highlight the importance of voluntary changes in behavior.

https://reason.com/2020/06/30/did-covid-19-lockdowns-reach-back-in-time-to-affect-behavior-before-they-were-imposed/

Rt-Mass.jpg

The data base:

https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-dashboard-june-30-2020/download