Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

The "data" and commentary from the CDC is manipulated to further the goals of the current administration, that's unfortunate but its not unknown
But even their "data" says 0.3% of the COVID deaths are children and from the data listed - that translates to 317 kids who died of COVID
317 is a lot of children. That's 3x more kids than have been killed in all of the school shootings over the last 10 years

The numbers I keep hearing in Maryland are at least 1,000 kids could die from this.  The popular meme post was debunked by a local news station, as they werent sure of the numbers being used and significant assumptions are being made.  

Given how much we still don't know about this, and schools not being prepared at all, this is going to be a big mistake to open schools fully. 

DeWine (Ohio) just issued a mask mandate for K-12, all students.  Previously the order was for 10 and up only.  Now it extends to all kids.

Good idea.  Though i really feel for those Kindergarten teachers that have to police that.

7 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

As soon to be parent, can someone explain this infatuation with wanting to re-open schools in the height of this pandemic? Just seems so stupid from my perspective.

There's still this misconception out there that children either can't get the virus, or don't transmit it.

EDIT: that's from the parents perspective.  There's also a political aspect that we can't really talk about.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

As soon to be parent, can someone explain this infatuation with wanting to re-open schools in the height of this pandemic? Just seems so stupid from my perspective.

Cure is worse than disease mentality.  I don’t frankly care one way or the other, and for selfish reasons I don’t want schools to open back up, but those who do their logic seems to be:

Kids need mental and social stimulation.  Being stuck at home is bad for their development.  I can see this angle.  That 8-16 range really needs social interaction.  

There’s also fears of neglect, abuse and hunger for kids who don’t have that 8 hours of education system.  More time at home = more potential abuse from parents who feel overburdened, and less opportunities for those kids to let someone know about at home abuse/hunger.

I think school is very important, and there should be ways to promote that interaction and normal everyday life for them while living in a pandemic.  Not necessarily at school, especially in larger school districts, but I like what I’ve seen in this thread on some groups manufacturing that interaction.

Speaking as someone who was homeschooled until the 5th grade and has cousins who were homeschooled their whole lives, I know school is extremely important.  Those cousins of mine... Ehhh... The one who forced her way out of homeschooling and made the same mom/dad send her to school is the only normal one.

I’m not saying all homeschooling is bad, but with wildly unqualified and unmotivated parents as teachers... It can be very unhealthy.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

Taste and smell haven't recovered yet but no other symptoms remain, still have a week left of quarantine regardless though.

Hey, if that's all you got out of this, not a bad deal. Glad to here nothing got worse. Still has to be weird af to not be able to taste or smell anything though. 

• Like 1

Free WaPo article but I hope other states jump in.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/coronavirus/coronavirus-state-testing-compact/2020/08/04/8b73bed8-d66f-11ea-9c3b-dfc394c03988_story.html

In the absence of a national testing strategy for the novel coronavirus pandemic, seven governors have formed a first-of-its-kind purchasing compact they hope will pressure companies that make rapid-detection tests to quickly ramp up production.

The governors, three Republicans and four Democrats, say that other states and cities may join them and that talks have already begun with one of the two companies approved by the Food and Drug Administration to sell point-of-care antigen tests that can detect the virus in less than 30 minutes.

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan (R) negotiated the deal during the final days of his tenure as chair of the National Governors Association. His office said the Rockefeller Foundation is willing to act as the financing entity if needed.

Each state — Virginia, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, North Carolina and Ohio, in addition to Maryland — would request 500,000 rapid tests, for a total of 3.5 million that could be deployed to address outbreaks.

Having access to that many rapid tests would reduce the need for states to rely on traditional testing infrastructure, which primarily involves private labs that have been beset by long delays.

Edited by Xenos

Just wanted to emphasize this again:

https://news.yahoo.com/how-coronavirus-unemployment-benefits-expired-congress-white-house-185412463.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&uh_test=1_02

who claim that expanded unemployment benefits, in some cases exceeding workers’ wages, discourage people from returning to their jobs. A study by Yale economists released last month found no evidence to support that idea. “We find that the workers who experienced larger increases in UI generosity did not experience larger declines in employment when the benefits expansion went into effect,” reads the study. “Additionally, we find that workers facing larger expansions in UI benefits have returned to their previous jobs over time at similar rates as others. We find no evidence that more generous benefits disincentivized work either at the onset of the expansion or as firms looked to return to business over time.”

Unemployment is generally a problem of not enough jobs, not lazy workers. In May, there were roughly four unemployed Americans for every open job.

18 minutes ago, Xenos said:

I hope other states jump in.

Thanks for the link
At first I was concerned that this was just more grandstanding by politicians - but after reading the article, it looks like I was wrong. This sounds like an excellent program and assuring the test kit mfgs that there's a robust market allows them to ramp up production/hiring/capacity without hesitation.
Xenos - One of the companies making the kits, Quidel, is based in San Diego. Solid company with a reputation for producing high quality tests

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Xenos said:

Larry continuing to come in clutch.  He's a guy to keep an eye out for once his second term ends.  PM me if you are interested further in learning about him.