Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

9 hours ago, -Hope- said:

we could just subsidize restaurants for staying closed like many other countries are doing, but this is america and we don't do such things

It is absurd how we expect most restaurants to stay afloat during all of this.  They have limited occupancy inside, and bars specifically have limited hours in many states.  They had to pivot to no customers at one point, and do everything carryout-delivery.  That costs them more money in paper products for one, and doesn't really allow them to sell their high-profit items like beverages and alcohol.  If they wanted to do delivery, that carries it's on set of constraints, as well as fees for DoorDash, UberEats, etc.  If you are a mom and pop place without any kind of negotiating power, DoorDash is going to give you a take it or leave it price.  Places also had to buy tents, heaters and other things to make outdoor dining a reality, and right now, those items are becoming obsolete with cold weather moving in.

Here in Annapolis where it is the seat of the state government, those restaurants downtown are losing a lot of lunch business as well because many employees are just working from home.  There are no Navy home football games which bring in a lot of sales, no Washington football team games bringing more people to the area, the boat shows were cancelled (huge money making events for the businesses downtown) and the Midshipmen at the Naval Academy are not getting the amount of leave they used to.  A lot of these places are really hurting.

Fast food places with drive thrus are one of the few restaurants that are able to make substantial sales and profits, as they were already built for the carryout infrastructure and many of those places already have great deals in place from their corporate offices for delivery services.  

It's going to get worse before it gets better for many people in the restaurant industry that aren't attached to a franchise and are on their own.  

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It is absurd how we expect most restaurants to stay afloat during all of this.  They have limited occupancy inside, and bars specifically have limited hours in many states.  They had to pivot to no customers at one point, and do everything carryout-delivery.  That costs them more money in paper products for one, and doesn't really allow them to sell their high-profit items like beverages and alcohol.  If they wanted to do delivery, that carries it's on set of constraints, as well as fees for DoorDash, UberEats, etc.  If you are a mom and pop place without any kind of negotiating power, DoorDash is going to give you a take it or leave it price.  Places also had to buy tents, heaters and other things to make outdoor dining a reality, and right now, those items are becoming obsolete with cold weather moving in.

Here in Annapolis where it is the seat of the state government, those restaurants downtown are losing a lot of lunch business as well because many employees are just working from home.  There are no Navy home football games which bring in a lot of sales, no Washington football team games bringing more people to the area, the boat shows were cancelled (huge money making events for the businesses downtown) and the Midshipmen at the Naval Academy are not getting the amount of leave they used to.  A lot of these places are really hurting.

Fast food places with drive thrus are one of the few restaurants that are able to make substantial sales and profits, as they were already built for the carryout infrastructure and many of those places already have great deals in place from their corporate offices for delivery services.  

It's going to get worse before it gets better for many people in the restaurant industry that aren't attached to a franchise and are on their own.  

not to mention the restaurant industry is volatile AF even in ideal circumstances. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

yep. and meanwhile the staff working at these places face reduced hours, layoffs, closing etc with no support for their needs either, while the ones lucky enough to keep their jobs are faced with consistent potential for exposure to the virus in order to keep a roof over their heads. i have friends in the service industry who have had to move back in with their parents, and they’re the ones fortunate to even have that option available to them. just bleak stuff that’s all so avoidable.

So in the UK we are getting ready for Thursdays new national lockdown. Really stressed as not only do we own a small family business which we spent thousands to make covid safe (the plexiglass was so expensive!!) but my wife’s pregnant with our third child AND I’m supposed to be moving house this week. 

I completely understand the numbers etc and I realise according to our prime minister that our health service will fail if these numbers aren’t controlled. However I also see a big problem in the manipulation of these numbers. A friends grandfather passed away during the first lockdown in the summer; the guy was 90 had terminal cancer and already beat his doctors life expectancy. However when the poor guy passed on he tested positive for Covid he was then classed as a covid death. 

Would love to hear your guys opinions on how things are with you in America and what you see the next 8 weeks looking like from a Covid prospective (not election prospective 😬)

Edited by xenajets

10 minutes ago, xenajets said:

So in the UK we are getting ready for Thursdays new national lockdown. Really stressed as not only do we own a small family business which we spent thousands to make covid safe (the plexiglass was so expensive!!) but my wife’s pregnant with our third child AND I’m supposed to be moving house this week. 

I completely understand the numbers etc and I realise according to our prime minister that our health service will fail if these numbers aren’t controlled. However I also see a big problem in the manipulation of these numbers. A friends grandfather passed away during the first lockdown in the summer; the guy was 90 had terminal cancer and already beat his doctors life expectancy. However when the poor guy passed on he tested positive for Covid he was then classed as a covid death. 

Would love to hear your guys opinions on how things are with you in America and what you see the next 8 weeks looking like from a Covid prospective (not election prospective 😬)

That sucks. And I definitely feel for so many affected businesses. The whole thing just stinks big time. I understand both sides. In many ways it’s a no-win. I have my opinions, but I get where the various people come from on theirs also. I think personal choice has been taken away in many ways, and it’s gone extreme in some cases. I have known people who have had parents die alone in the hospital, because no visitors are allowed. Not people with Covid, just no visitors allowed for even those on their deathbed. What a way to go out. 

I think a lot of people mean well with the policies that are out there, and I think some of it makes sense. But gosh, there are so many secondary affects of everything that has transpired.

29 minutes ago, xenajets said:

Is there anything you can do online with the business during locktime xj? I'm in Essex and so am facing the same lockdown as you.

I had the Rona during the first wave and it was no joke, even without any underlying medical conditions. My eldest is feeling unwell this morning so won't be going to school but I don't know what that means for her brothers. Do they stay off? Does that mean everyone in their classes is then off?

My sister got it. She's a college athlete and her coaches were totally dismissive of it. It wasn't until over half the team tested positive that the coach decided to take measures. Such bull****. My state (Wisconsin) has been incredibly ignorant with this whole pandemic and it's unreal to me. 

My stepdad has emphysema and is a smoker (yes, stupid I know) so he's at risk big time from this. I'm so over this inept administration and I hope it ends today. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, -Hope- said:

we could just subsidize restaurants for staying closed like many other countries are doing, but this is america and we don't do such things

The reality is, there's no way to treat the fallout of the virus purely "apolitically", when one of the biggest factors is economic, in the survival of actual small and local businesses.  And the only real remedy, is political action in the form of government subsidy spending, rent suspension, and other programs to keep them above water.

Amazon ain't stepping in to help a mom and pop corner store or furniture shop.  Walmart aren't going to step in to help out your local Farmers Market.  McDonalds or Montana's ain't stepping in to keep a local burger joint in business.  Dominoes would love to see local Pizza places eradicated.  It has to be a government intervention.  Which is inherently political, because it's government spending.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, xenajets said:

This is the same Gov't that has also been downplaying the recent uptick as a way to justify not imposing the second lockdown sooner. My closest buddy is a SpAD and there's more than a little concern with regards to the numbers being reported. The problem that we'd end up with down the line (possibly, not definitely) is suspicion of the numbers, which then leads to suspicion of the NHS/doctors/severity/prevalence of the virus.

From the doctors I play with down in Tooting (so a bit of a hotspot in terms of high pop. density and 20-somethings flagrantly ignoring measures) its a case of that's what killed those who died at that given moment, that if they'd beaten the virus they would've survived, however briefly. Don't underestimate the damage that this is doing, nor the numbers that are being reported. Please.