Packers sign Devin Funchess

HighCalebR

39 minutes ago, MaximusGluteus said:

I mean, as long as he's better than Geronimo was, which isn't saying much, then I guess.

That shouldn't take much after last year. Dude fell off a cliff.

14 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Seems like there were quite a few Mims fans in here after the combine.  With Lazard, EQ and Funchess now in GB, I'm having a tough time imagining Gute using a high pick on Mims unless he REALLY has a type at WR.

Agreed. Mims is nowhere near as physical as any other receiver we have on the team with the exception of MVS and I'm not worried about his physicality.

2 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Sick of all the "Rodgers doesn't throw 50/50 balls."  Last time I checked, this offense was supposed to scheme guys open. Now all the sudden our playbook apparently reads 50/50 ball to the left, 50/50 ball to the right, 50/50 ball short and 50/50 ball deep. Such overblown crap. If a QB has to throw any more than one or two 50/50 balls per game, that's the max. Fans act as if it's a high percentage play. It's a last resort in certain game situations, not an every down occurrence. And if it is every down, blame coaching staff for not getting guys open, not the QB for avoiding a last resort throw.  Other teams didn't seem to have to rely on 50/50 balls against our defense. 

Agreed. Adams is the king of 50/50 balls and we like our guys big and physical. Funchess clearly fits that description. 

17 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Both at fault .. cam was inaccurate and Funchess doesn't get much separation and has shaky hands. 

Every time I've watched Cam, it's been painful. Dude has no touch, a big arm that's horribly inaccurate, and what he could give you on the ground is no longer there. I honestly think he was only a #1 pick because he won the NCAA Championship. He had a fluke year at the collegiate level to get him there that's been questioned due to how he got to Auburn and then backed it up with a fluke year the year they went to the Super Bowl and had their defense(which really carried them there) outsmarted by Peyton Manning IMHO.

Why are we using catch targets for an NFL receiver that played with Cam Newton? Have any of you ever watched Can Newton? There's a reason his right arm had to be surgically placed back on his body. That's a violent and inaccurate throwing motion.

Funch has never played with a QB that can throw a changeup, he's gotten the fastball wherever it comes off Newton's hand his whole career.

We're talking a 230+ man who was sub 7 in the cone and 38.5 in the vert. Long speed isn't great but I just need him to win 10 yards and stack because you aren't running through Devin Funchess as a DB. You aren't breaking him off his line on the short routes and those 33"+ arms give you plenty of room for error on the catch radius. The guy already had an 800+ yard season as a #2 for a less capable QB, not sure why we're ragging on him.

We can throw EQ, Funch, Adams and Lazard on the field in 4-wide sets now and that will be cool, maybe not effective, but cool.

• Like 7

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Why are we using catch targets for an NFL receiver that played with Cam Newton? Have any of you ever watched Can Newton? There's a reason his right arm had to be surgically placed back on his body. That's a violent and inaccurate throwing motion.

We have ESP tonight; LIS earlier: Cam is painful to watch...

53 minutes ago, fattlipp said:

He got him that Buffalo contract, what will Arod get Lazard, those 6-5 guys are all about winning jump balls,  Arod played that that one game, when we were down to 2-3 WRs vs Arizona and look what Janis did, if he did that for a whole season Janis porobably have been a millionaire by now too.

I dont care about "what will Arod get (or do for....) so and so..." Couldnt care less.

DF and AR will take the field (hopefully......) in a few months and we'll see what's there.

All I'm saying is Newton *consistently* missed Benjamin high...wide...or whatever...and Benjamin (who's a huge target...) was getting laid out going for them.

Cam's a physical specimen - or he was at one point at least - but he's *never* thrown an accurate pass and his WR's took a beating because of it.

47 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

While 40 times are often overrated anyways, I keep seeing reference to Funchess running a 4.7 at the combine. That's true. It's also true that he ran a 4.47 and 4.53 at his pro day. 

Frank Clark ran 4.79 at that combine that year and 4.64 at that Pro Day. 

So there’s your difference. Michigan. 

I want to know the money. Specifically the guaranteed. I can sell myself on this no matter what if the guaranteed money is very low. Like 100k low. My hope is this is whom your rookie needs to beat out for WR3. 

1 minute ago, Fox_NFLs_GG said:

Funchess has a similar body type to Lazard. I'am wondering if that they are loading up on the bigger (Not just tall but thick) guys for the current offense and maybe getting a home run small guy at some point?

It's a Ron Wolf thing that has trickled down. 

5 minutes ago, Fox_NFLs_GG said:

Funchess has a similar body type to Lazard. I'am wondering if that they are loading up on the bigger (Not just tall but thick) guys for the current offense and maybe getting a home run small guy at some point?

See this is why I thought Reagor makes sense, but Mims doesn't on the surface at least. You look at who else we've "visited with" and you're looking at the 6'/6'-1" type of guys that have some burst.

Gute is bargain bin shopping.  Have to see the contract but suspect it's 2 mil/yr range.  2 year deal.  Fine with it.  At least he's a veteran receiver which is a plus.  We'll see but I'll bet Aaron will like him.  We have no cap  to spend this year Gutey is doing his best to fill holes with limited cash.  I wonder what the asking price is for Snack attack.  We need a big run stuffing fatty in the interior.  Don't care about pass rush just an immovable object in the interior we can use on early downs.  Packers have to shore up the run D and we haven't addressed it yet.  Where is Gilbert Brown when you need him?  As far as the draft they will be looking at OL or DL with that first pick.  If no decent prospect available we'll probably see a trade down an grab one of those talented WR's.  

Edited by Scoremore