Packers sign Devin Funchess

HighCalebR

4 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Gute is bargain bin shopping.  Have to see the contract but suspect it's 2 mil/yr range.  2 year deal.  Fine with it.  At least he's a veteran receiver which is a plus.  We'll see but I'll bet Aaron will like him.  We have no cap  to spend this year Gutey is doing his best to fill holes with limited cash.  I wonder what the asking price is for Snack attack.  We need a big run stuffing fatty in the interior.  Don't care about pass rush just an immovable object in the interior we can use on early downs.  Packers have to shore up the run D and we haven't addressed it yet.  Where is Gilbert Brown when you need him?  As far as the draft they will be looking at OL or DL with that first pick.  If no decent prospect available we'll probably see a trade down an grab one of those talented WR's.  

Them's fighting words around here for some. 

33 minutes ago, Joe said:

See this is why I thought Reagor makes sense, but Mims doesn't on the surface at least. You look at who else we've "visited with" and you're looking at the 6'/6'-1" type of guys that have some burst.

Reagor would be the smallest WR we've drafted since Randall Cobb.  And I think by a pretty good margin.  Even going back to when Ted Thompson took over, I believe Randall Cobb was the only WR they've taken that was under 5'11".  And Gute seems to have a clear preference for these jumbo WRs.  I don't think Reagor is on the Packers' board.

16 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And Gute seems to have a clear preference for these jumbo WRs.  I don't think Reagor is on the Packers' board.

Its quite the stable. History says no to Reagor and I think current regime feels the same way
Here's an article from packers.com where both Gute and MLF talk about their preferences for WRs in general and the slot specifically

https://www.packers.com/news/packers-keeping-their-options-open-in-the-slot

"There's a little bit more of a skill set you have to have in there; the ability to kind of separate and create in space," said Gutekunst of slot-receiver play. "Obviously, inside there, you have to be able to hold up and take the pounding that comes with that job. So there's probably a body type moving forward that's able to separate and stay healthy."

"I think the slot receiver is maybe something that's a little more prominent in his offense than what Mike's was," Gutekunst said.
"But yeah, big, tall and fast, that's a good thing."

24 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Reagor would be the smallest WR we've drafted since Randall Cobb.  And I think by a pretty good margin.  Even going back to when Ted Thompson took over, I believe Randall Cobb was the only WR they've taken that was under 5'11".  And Gute seems to have a clear preference for these jumbo WRs.  I don't think Reagor is on the Packers' board.

I have never understood why some GM's want to put all their eggs in one basket. Diversify your offense. Having smaller but quicker guys gives can be a big asset for the team. Both as WR's as well as RB's.

Anyways assuming this is just a near minimum deal it makes sense. Going into next year with just rookie additions to the team is a tall order. I still expect a wr top 3 rounds, Devin doesn’t really offer too much different to our we room tbh

Edited by pacman5252

6 hours ago, cannondale said:

It's a Ron Wolf thing that has trickled down. 

i don't think that's remotely true. This is what Nagler said but the evidence says differently, If you look at the list of the best Packers WRs going back to the eary 90's nearly all of them were under 6ft 1". We literally drafted ~6ft  WRs for a long time with the odd exceptions here and there like Nelson.

Big WRs is a Gute thing and not a Wolf/Thompson thing.

7 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Sarcasm.... It’s also important he wasn’t a free agent. People think there are immensely better options for the packers out there than Funchess and that GB can afford them.

Apologies, sometimes I don't read between the lines very well.   

• Like 1