2020 Draft Rumors and News

MWil23

Wirfs would be an elite OT in a zone scheme.

I think a lot of us are used to watching us operate in a power run scheme and are envisioning Joe Thomas as the ideal OT. While Joe was obviously amazing, he isn’t the standard for what we will look for in a ZBS. I’m not saying pass on Joe Thomas for someone else—I’m saying our ideal OT is a run blocker with lateral agility, not a pass blocking finesse OT. Pass blocking is obviously important. But in our scheme, we won’t be taking nearly as many traditional dropbacks as you’ve seen in the past. We’ll be bootlegging and play actioning 90% of the time. You don’t need an elite technician to do that. 

Thats why I like Wirfs and Becton. They fit what we want to do perfectly. I would be willing to bet, despite the reports, that these are our top 2 OT’s. They are literally tailor-made for this offense. They have some pass blocking technical issues to iron out, sure. But nothing major or overly concerning. And those issues are mitigated based on the scheme we run. 

If we idiotically trade for Trent, I still want Wirfs. Play him at RG for a year or two and then move him to LT. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

As bad as it sounds I don’t care about drafting a wide zone lineman. We run though so many coaches and schemes I’d rather just draft the best lineman and teach them to play within the scheme later. 

I mean, you’re not wrong.  When was the last time we had the same scheme for a player’s entire rookie deal?

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:
4 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

As bad as it sounds I don’t care about drafting a wide zone lineman. We run though so many coaches and schemes I’d rather just draft the best lineman and teach them to play within the scheme later. 

I mean, you’re not wrong.  When was the last time we had the same scheme for a player’s entire rookie deal?

Very true but if you draft the right guy for the scheme, means more success, which means coaches/fo stay in place. 

but really just give me the best pass blocker