Packers 2020 WR Corps

TheOnlyThing

12 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Now let's go back to another question - is Mike Evans athletic enough to be a great receiver - yes, but only because he's exceptional at contested catches, tracking the deep ball, and using his large frame to make things easier on his QB.  So I guess my point is that pointing to one athlete as a justification for Lazard's speed doesn't make much sense when Mike Evans is already somewhat limited in that area.  Both guys make it work - evans with more force of will, jumping, and catching ability, and Lazard with more polish on his routes.

So it goes down to if you think fast enough to get deep consistently means slow. I dont know how you can create consistent separation on a simple post if youre slow. That doesnt compute.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

So it goes down to if you think fast enough to get deep consistently means slow. I dont know how you can create consistent separation on a simple post if youre slow. That doesnt compute.

Because NO safeties are either not that good or bad technique. I know on that 70 yarder, the safety was flat footed when Lazard was running at him. So Lazard just ran right buy him and the safety caught him, that could have been because of speed or who knows, maybe Lazard let up a bit at the end.

23 minutes ago, dwaye50327 said:

Does Lazard remind anyone of maybe a poor man's version of Jordy Nelson. Doesn't have great speed, not the big jump ball type of guy, but is very good at running routes and finding holes in the defense. Lazard has a long way to go before he is anywhere close to Jordy, but I can see Lazard causing problems for defenses with his route running and intelligence of how the defense is playing him.

Obviously he's not Jordy. But he ran an identical 40 to Jordy (4.55) at 6'5 225 with a 38 inch vertical. And caught two 50+ yard balls vs New Orleans. What else does he have to do to prove to people he can play?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Obviously he's not Jordy. But he ran an identical 40 to Jordy (4.55) at 6'5 225 with a 38 inch vertical. And caught two 50+ yard balls vs New Orleans. What else does he have to do to prove to people he can play?

I think the dude can play, sure hes got a lot of room to get better, but I think he has the ability to get there. I think this game gave him a lot for his confidence, now he knows he can get beat defenses and be a game changer. If he can develop that chemistry with Rodgers that Jordy had and Davante has. He is going to be a really good number 2 guy. I think someone on here hit the nail on the head with MVS IMO. Number 3 is going to be where hes at. He's going to be the guy that doesn't get a lot of looks, but when they forget about him, he's going to hit 60 yard bombs when defense's don't expect it just because of his speed. I mean look at last night, they game planned against MVS just because of his speed.

Edited by dwaye50327

I think I have to admit at this point that @Outpost31 was right about the WR's.  If Adams, MVS and Lazard are all healthy, the WR group is fine.  I am not a real ESB fan, but I know others on this board are.  If I am as wrong about ESB as I was about the group as a whole, even better.

Edited by Mazrimiv

3 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Jordy ran 4.51 at the combine

4 hours ago, dwaye50327 said:

Because NO safeties are either not that good or bad technique. I know on that 70 yarder, the safety was flat footed when Lazard was running at him. So Lazard just ran right buy him and the safety caught him, that could have been because of speed or who knows, maybe Lazard let up a bit at the end.

If you watch, the safety was turned to run with him but Lazard gave him a slight move causing him to turn his hips. Really nice route.

James Jones had a knack for beating guys deep, and he wasn't a burner by any means.  I'll take the "slow" guy who gets open deep vs the "fast" guy who can't do anything but run a great 40 every time.  Lazard gets open, and he catches the ball.  I have no complaints.

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Jordy was a little quicker than 4.55, but still close... The big difference between the two is Jordy's speed built up, he had an excellent 60Y dash. Lazard has some initial quickness; he moves well early. Then his speed fades as shown on his 72Y catch. His wheels where coming off at the end of the play.

4 hours ago, dwaye50327 said:

Malcolm Jenkins is pretty good and made some huge plays last night.  He outplayed Amos by a mile.  Not sure how you missed that.  As far as Lazard, he didn’t let up but became kinda spaz when he caught the ball losing his balance for no reason on a perfectly thrown ball in stride.  He’s done it before.  There’s no reason he shouldn’t have scored on that play.  But hey we’ll take the big gain any day. 

3 hours ago, Donzo said:

Jordy was a little quicker than 4.55, but still close... The big difference between the two is Jordy's speed built up, he had an excellent 60Y dash. Lazard has some initial quickness; he moves well early. Then his speed fades as shown on his 72Y catch. His wheels where coming off at the end of the play.

Could be but he also slowed down for the ball then stumbled on that catch

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheEagle said:

Jordy ran 4.51 at the combine

This site had it wrong. But 4.51 to 4.55 is pretty negligible Especially with Lazard 10 lbs heavier. 

https://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=8030

regardless 4.55 is not slow for a guy 6”5 227. I don’t know why that’s hard to accept

Edited by Arthur Penske