Saints sign Jameis Winston

11sanchez11

2 hours ago, Drained said:

I think Payton doesn't think of Hill or Winston as a starting QB, he signed Jameis to a one-year for a reason, he probably wants to see them both fight for the backup spot and there are no downsides.

I highly doubt Winston was going to sign a long-term deal anywhere that he wasn't projected to be the starter. Winston will be the backup QB for the Saints this year and if Brees misses time, he'll start, no doubt about it. Hill's a good athlete and versatile player but he wasn't even a good quarterback in college.Ā 

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

I'm sure staying relatively close to his home in TB and down south played absolutely no factor. Nor the Pittsburgh weather.šŸ˜‰

Don't forget that Brees might actually help aid in the development of JW too.Ā  Not the case further north

Saints have the most QB-Friendly offense on the planet. If JW get in the game, he will be fine. I'd bet that system played a bigger part in his decision not to go to Pittsburgh than anything else. I would have done the same.

• Like 1

Hard to come up with two more opposite types of QB than Brees and Jameis...but it's a backup QB.Ā  Could pay off for Jameis if he learns something there, and/or endears himself to the coaching staff.Ā  Or if Brees ends up missing time again.Ā  But it still seems like a kinda weird fit, even if it's really good insurance for the Saints, and obviously the phone was not ringing off the hook with offers for Jameis so he picked a spot.

10 QBs Most Similar to Jameis Winston, 2019
Player Season Team Similarity
Rating
Carson Palmer 2011 OAK 92.3
Jeff George 1999 MIN 89.2
Tarvaris Jackson 2007 MIN 88.9
Carson Palmer 2013 ARI 88.9
Steve McNair 2000 TEN 88.6
Ben Roethlisberger 2006 PIT 88.3
Jameis Winston 2017 TB 88.2
Jake Delhomme 2005 CAR 88.2
Peyton Manning 2001 IND 87.6
Jay Fiedler 2001 MIA 87.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2020/quarterback-similarity-ratings

01 Manning ay.

Edited by Hunter2_1

22 hours ago, indifference said:

Jameis stinks and is a bonehead. He will drive Payton crazy with his decision making. I think he can be a back up level qb for a couple of games but he is not nfl starter material. 5 years, #1 pick and were talking him still trying to read a defense and learn. Five years and he still cant diagnose cover 3 variations...godspeed

Then he's gone after a year.Ā  Winston was actually a guy that I was hoping the saints would look at as a back-up if Teddy got an offer too good to pass up and went elsewhere.Ā  Winston has all the talent in the world if he can get his head right.Ā  Taking a 1 year flyer on him isn't a bad deal because they can easily just cut ties afterwards if he becomes an issue.Ā  At worst we get a guy that can be a viable back-up for a few games if Brees goes down and lets us use Hill in other roles more than in years past.

19 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Or he's getting a more notable role in the offense.

That's my thought on Hill's contract and the Winston signing.Ā  More looks with him at WR, option QB, special teams etc.Ā  We didn't draft a WR and even though we brought in Sanders were still thin there outside of Thomas.

19 hours ago, Dome said:

Most saints fans donā€™t think he can be a starting QB... that would be our coach.

Ā 

most of us see him as a role playerĀ 

Yeah, I don't think Hill as a starting QB either.Ā  I'd give him a chance at it once Brees retires in a QB competition, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

19 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

That contract is brutal. I can't imagine the Saints would not pay (speculative) Kamara 15/yr so they can pay Hill 10/yr. What am I missing?Ā 

I think they might end up doing both.Ā  Not sure if Kamara will get 15/yr, though considering how I value him as each of his roles as a WR/RB/Returner, I think his overall combined value is definitely at 15/yr.

3 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Hard to come up with two more opposite types of QB than Brees and Jameis...but it's a backup QB.Ā  Could pay off for Jameis if he learns something there, and/or endears himself to the coaching staff.Ā  Or if Brees ends up missing time again.Ā  But it still seems like a kinda weird fit, even if it's really good insurance for the Saints, and obviously the phone was not ringing off the hook with offers for Jameis so he picked a spot.

True, but Jameis has talent and if he can learn to see the field better and improve his decision making he could become a really good starting QB.Ā  I think Jameis made the smart decision as it's well known that Brees already has his post football deal inked so if he works out with the Saints players/scheme then in 2 years he has a chance to be a starter again.

I had been dreading the post Brees QB situation, and had Brees retired this year would have actually liked to have seen what Bridgewater could do for us as I liked what I saw from him as a starter in this offense. Obviously that ship has sailed. I am honestly feeling pretty good about our post Brees situation at this point (Or at least as good as one could feel after losing a top 5 All-Time QB), I like giving Winston a low risk/high reward type deal. If he shows some positive strides in this new system, and maybe harnesses some of that gunslinger mentality we may actually have something to work with going forward. I'm not getting my hopes up that high on that coming to fruition.Ā I have pretty significant doubts Taysom Hill is ever going to be our starting QB unless someone gets injured.

What really excites me is that we have Michael Thomas locked up, a very young but talented OL for the future, hopefully can lock up Kamara to a new contact, and have a defense filled with talented players that are mostly on the younger side. In other words, this is a team that post Brees (likely his last year) will be turn key ready to be a playoff contender with a competent QB. Maybe that is Winston, but if not, we for the first time in years have a draft pick in every round next year. I wouldn't be shocked to see us make a Ricky Williams type trade to grab out franchise QB next year and have said QB land in about as good of a situation as a rookie QB could ever hope for. So essentially this Winston move gives us a 1 year rental to see if he has the goods, if not, we are in a good spot to make a move for a QB next year in the draft.

10 hours ago, Yibbyl said:

Saints have the most QB-Friendly offense on the planet. If JW get in the game, he will be fine. I'd bet that system played a bigger part in his decision not to go to Pittsburgh than anything else. I would have done the same.

For context, I'm not nearly as talented as any of them, or make nearly as much money, and I too would do the same.

• Like 1

Option 1) The Saints paid $16 M guaranteed to Hill so he can continue be a talented gadget player
Option 2) The Saints see Hill as a potential successor and want to see him in more live action after giving him a significant contract

Are the saints planning on allocating 3 roster spots to the QB position on Sundays ?
If not, then one of them is a healthy scratch and its not hard to guess which one will be sitting

Jamies is now the 3rd string QB facing an abbreviated offseason and with limited reps to earn playing time with the starters
If Brees goes down for a couple of weeks, then Jameis gets activated. Otherwise, you're wasting a valuable game- day spot on a guy who won't contribute.

Which is doubly ironic given that one of Taysom Hills' most valuable qualities is that he's a back- up QB who can contribute in other areas on game day. Putting Winston on the 53 is relatively cheap and easy. Putting him on the 46 is a completely different story

Edited by Shanedorf

Winston was a stud in the red zone.

15-1Ā TD vsĀ INT Ā inside the 10

19-1Ā TD vsĀ INT ratio inside the 20

Ā 

We just need to find a way to makeĀ him think heā€™s always in the red zoneĀ 

Edited by Dome