2020 ROT

DreamKid

18 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

If you had to pick one to re-sign at market value: Orlando Brown (14-17M?) or Mark Andrews (10-12M?) ? I feel like we'll have to choose between the two.

I think that's probably undershooting what Zeus will be looking for tbh. He's always said he prefers playing left tackle, and now that he's gotten a chance to play LT in the NFL and has largely thrived in that role, he'll probably be looking at the FA market thinking he can probably get elite LT money from someone. Even if he does stay with us to play RT it would probably be on the condition of us playing close to Stanley $$$. 

I'm going Andrews at his general price point. RT is more easily replaceable to me - particularly with a coaching staff that has a proven track record at developing OL - than an elite pass catching TE like Andrews who has a natural connection with Lamar. 

Depending on what Stanley's rehab looks like, Brown could even be a trade candidate for this offseason if we can sell him as a premium LT and get a 1st rounder and change for him. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli
  • Like 3

Yea, Brown is now proven to be even better at LT than he was at RT, so he's going to get a 100M deal if he waits. We should definitely be trying some trade option with him or Stanley as that type of asset is too valuable to let walk for a 3rd round comp pick. 

I'm going to be annoying and mention how I said we should try to trade Stanley over a year ago, and it was wildly unpopular here. Stanley was better than Tunsil, and now the second first round pick of the Tunsil trade is likely to be the 3rd overall pick :(. Stupid BOB wouldn't give us Hopkins and wouldn't give us all the picks either.

Edited by wackywabbit

Trading Ronnie Stanley now would be trading him at his lowest value. I'm against it. Now if we can get two first round picks for Brown in the off-season you go ahead and do that. But I ultimately think we let Orlando play out his contract and franchise him one year.

Edited by M.10.E

1 minute ago, M.10.E said:

Trading Ronnie Stanley now would be trading him at his lowest value. I'm against it. Now if we can get two first round picks for Brown in the off-season you go ahead and do that. But I ultimately think we let Orlando play out his contract and franchise him one year.

We can't trade Stanley now, we just signed him. I'm no expert, but looking at his contract details, I'm not sure we can move him any time soon. He's getting 55M in the first two years, so it'll be a while before we can afford to eat the cap hits from that.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/ronnie-stanley-18954/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

We can't trade Stanley now, we just signed him. I'm no expert, but looking at his contract details, I'm not sure we can move him any time soon. He's getting 55M in the first two years, so it'll be a while before we can afford to eat the cap hits from that.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/ronnie-stanley-18954/

Then bye bye Marky Mark. I want Lamar to have an OL more than a TE when we've shown we can plug and play TE's at will.

28 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Then bye bye Marky Mark. I want Lamar to have an OL more than a TE when we've shown we can plug and play TE's at will.

Have we? Hurst was always meh for us, and before that there was a pretty barren spell with lots of misses (Maxx Williams, Crockett Gilmore, etc.) between Pitta and Andrews. Andrews is pretty much singlehandedly the reason why people think we're awesome at TE again. He can be, and in some ways already is, our Kelce. 

I'd rather keep Lamar's favorite and most reliable target around for $10-15m a year rather than spending ~$45 million a year on admittedly great tackles and asking Lamar to throw to glorified Uber drivers we find on the street. Not that OL isn't important but the fact that after a little bit of an adjustment period our line is back to mauling everyone with a right side of Powers and Fluker has me convinced that a.) we're gonna be able to coach up whoever replaces Zeus at RT and b.) Lamar still makes life for our OL at least marginally easier that spending all of our resources there is a mistake. 

Put another way, I think it will be easier, less disruptive, and cheaper for us to get someone who gives us at least 80-90% of what Brown offers us at RT compared to what it would take to get someone who approximates what Andrews offers for Lamar. 

If we trade Zeus this offseason we can probably just turn him directly into a 1st rounder we can use to draft his ready-made and cost-controlled replacement without missing a beat, similar to what the Niners did in trading Buckner and using the pick they got for him to draft Kinlaw. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Mark Andrews is a lock to be retained. It's much easier to retain a TE. The contract will be much cheaper than Brown's and, critically, the tag is much cheaper. The moment they traded Hurst (who they had 3 cost controlled years for), they basically signed up for Andrews' second deal.

• Like 2

Orlando Brown Jr can play LT for us in a run heavy scheme, but I'm not sure he would cut it at LT for most offenses. 

Even though Stanley is an excellent LT, his talents are actually somewhat underutilized in this offense. I'm not sure having two mauler LT and RTs is better than having a "dancing bear" like Stanley given how much we run the ball. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2020 at 12:01 AM, AngusMcFife said:

Orlando Brown Jr can play LT for us in a run heavy scheme, but I'm not sure he would cut it at LT for most offenses. 

Even though Stanley is an excellent LT, his talents are actually somewhat underutilized in this offense. I'm not sure having two mauler LT and RTs is better than having a "dancing bear" like Stanley given how much we run the ball. 

We generally have a "right-handed" running attack, Stanley's athleticism allows him to make blocks from the back side (generally at level 2) that the majority of linemen in the league simply cannot. I would love to see the counter game the team has started with in the second half of this season continue into next year, utilizing Stanley more on pulls.