2021 NFL Draft Thread

ChaRisMa

On 2/24/2021 at 1:39 PM, vegas492 said:

I ran a few mocks on thedraftnetwork.

In one I took the WR, Tooney with the first pick.  Taking a WR in the first really screws up the rest of the draft.

In my last attempt, I got OT Mayfield in the first.  CB Melifonwu in the second.  DL McNeill in the third.  RB Sermon in the fourth.  WR Seth Williams in the 4'th.

In all of my attempts, Samuel Jr was there with the first pick.  He was about 6 picks away from our second round pick.

After doing these, I came to this conclusion.  The way their site is setup, it's really tough to get a good corner and tackle if you do not take them in the first two rounds.

WR's and RB's are good value in the 4'th round and later, no need to reach.  DL is slim picking, too.

I remember last year how Van Jefferson was available in the 4th in every single mock simulation I tried on there. I guess the Rams didn’t know that tho lol. 

• Like 2

This draft looks to have some WR's that surprise. I'm not as high on Toney as others are, given the limited route tree he worked. There is a bunch of talented slot WR's this draft, as deep as into the 5th round. He may not be a sleeper anymore, but fwiw, I'm impressed with what I see on film of D'Wayne Eskridge, WMU. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go in round 3, before alot of other WR prospects from bigger D1 schools. 

Edited by DWhitehurst

18 hours ago, DWhitehurst said:

This draft looks to have some WR's that surprise. I'm not as high on Toney as others are, given the limited route tree he worked. There is a bunch of talented slot WR's this draft, as deep as into the 5th round. He may not be a sleeper anymore, but fwiw, I'm impressed with what I see on film of D'Wayne Eskridge, WMU. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go in round 3, before alot of other WR prospects from bigger D1 schools. 

Think D'Wayne Eskridge is gonna be that guy that falls in the draft, and has a strong NFL career.

• Like 1

Looking at Gute’s drafts, it seems like he’s building his post-Rodgers team.

Gets a corner in his first year, EDGE and safety in his second, QB in his third.

I understand you could just say he’s doing a BPA type thing, but Jaire was really the only one considered a need.

Gary - we had the Smiths.  Savage we had just signed Amos.  Love we obviously have Rodgers.

He’s very much a future needs drafter in the first round, and also very clearly a positional value guy.

He’s also moved from his initial spot with every single first round pick except the Gary pick.

Considering all that, I would be extremely surprised if he didn’t go OT here.  If there’s anyone around worth it obviously.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see another corner, DL or even EDGE.

29 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Looking at Gute’s drafts, it seems like he’s building his post-Rodgers team.

Gets a corner in his first year, EDGE and safety in his second, QB in his third.

I understand you could just say he’s doing a BPA type thing, but Jaire was really the only one considered a need.

Gary - we had the Smiths.  Savage we had just signed Amos.  Love we obviously have Rodgers.

He’s very much a future needs drafter in the first round, and also very clearly a positional value guy.

He’s also moved from his initial spot with every single first round pick except the Gary pick.

Considering all that, I would be extremely surprised if he didn’t go OT here.  If there’s anyone around worth it obviously.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see another corner, DL or even EDGE.

Agreed.  OT, CB or DL in the 1st and 2nd round with RB, EDGE, WR in the 3rd, 4th, 5th rounds and double dip on some of those spots.  Sign a bargain free agt or two and all is good.

57 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Agreed.  OT, CB or DL in the 1st and 2nd round with RB, EDGE, WR in the 3rd, 4th, 5th rounds and double dip on some of those spots.  Sign a bargain free agt or two and all is good.

There won’t be any free agents.

That won’t happen.

Dunno who he is going to take but we need to stop trading up and giving up those mid-round picks. I've always thought we should always an OL somewhere between rounds 4 and 6 every year. They wont all hit but gives you a steady supply of them and if you do have a good job should always have a good OL without the need to pay old guys on 3rd contracts.

Would probably add RB to that as well.  Draft a running back around the 4th-6th every year as well. Never have to worry about depth or having to pay a position that gets old quick. 

So stop trading up. 

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

There won’t be any free agents.

That won’t happen.

Oh I'm not so sure .. it could very well happen.  Nothing big time but the price will be right on a useful player or two that's better than what the Packers have. 

Simms QB Rankings. Just found it interesting. I wasn't shocked. I saw an interview where Lawrence basically said he doesn't watch any football. At all. That's a bit of a red flag for me. And before you rip him, Simms has been pretty much spot on the last 3 years. He goes as far as to say Wilson is as talented as Rodgers and Mahomes (yea I hate Florio too)

Wilson

Lawrence

Jones

Mond

Fields

Lance

Edited by cannondale

4 hours ago, Joe said:

The fact that Mond is his 4th ranked QB tells me all I need to know...

That's what everyone said when he went Burrow, Herbert, Love and Jackson, Allen, Mayfield. Is that how you had them ranked ?

Edited by cannondale

7 hours ago, cannondale said:

And before you rip him, Simms has been pretty much spot on the last 3 years. He goes as far as to say Wilson is as talented as Rodgers and Mahomes (yea I hate Florio too)

I watched a few of his videos last year. In hindsight he was wrong on some guys. For example, Simms really liked Ryan Finley. I enjoyed watching his analysis though.

With you on the dislike for Florio.

3 hours ago, TheEagle said:

I watched a few of his videos last year. In hindsight he was wrong on some guys. For example, Simms really liked Ryan Finley. I enjoyed watching his analysis though.

With you on the dislike for Florio.

Absolutely he was off on some guys. No different than 100% of everyone out there. But I don't recall anyone being anywhere close on the guys mentioned above. I think he had Mahomes ranked first too, but dont recall exactly. And yes I even read Rodney for entertainment and take what I want and leave what I want. 

Edited by cannondale

14 hours ago, cannondale said:

That's what everyone said when he went Burrow, Herbert, Love and Jackson, Allen, Mayfield. Is that how you had them ranked ?

I had Darnold ahead of Allen and Mayfield just behind Jackson and we all know Darnold has struggled because of where he landed. I also went Herbert, Burrow, Tua, Hurts, Eason, then Love...

5 hours ago, Joe said:

I had Darnold ahead of Allen and Mayfield just behind Jackson and we all know Darnold has struggled because of where he landed. I also went Herbert, Burrow, Tua, Hurts, Eason, then Love...

You had Burrow ahead of Herbert and Eason ahead of Hurts.