2021 NFL Draft Thread

ChaRisMa

Life's been crazy and I haven't done any ground work. Can anyone give me some short lists of CB, OT, WR for the top half of the draft? Guys I should watch that fit what GB seems to want to do. Maybe 5-10 guys worth watching in depth.

I've watched some corners, and have come away feeling like this is a deep corner draft and many of them have size.  

In the couple of mocks that I've run on different websites, Patrick Surtain II (Bama) has been there.  He looks great on film.  I highly doubt he is there with our pick.

But here are some to look at...

Round one-3....Jaycee Horn, South Carolina.  Asante Samuer Jr, FSU (I really like him).  Tyson Campbell, Georgia (long and crazy athletic).  Greg Newsome II. Northwestern. (I really like him too).  Ifeatu Melifonwu, Syracuse.  Very big corner, pretty raw and I thought he looked stiff athletically.  Benjamin St-Juste, Minnesota.  Very long, great Senior Bowl.  

After round 3...I've watched some Trill Williams.  Great size, nothing really pops out at me, though.  Marco Wilson looks like a slot corner to me.

And that is as far as I've gotten with CB.  Course there are many others that I haven't watched yet.

Tackle...Vera-Tucker, USC.  Radunz, North Dakota State, Leatherwood, 'Bama.   Eichenberg, Notre Dame, Mayfield, Michigan.  (I liked all of them.  Came away feeling like Eichenberg and Mayfield just look like Packer tackles.)

WR wise....honestly, look at all but the top 5.  I don't think we go WR until round 3 at the earliest.  Round 4 is most likely.

2 hours ago, spilltray said:

Life's been crazy and I haven't done any ground work. Can anyone give me some short lists of CB, OT, WR for the top half of the draft? Guys I should watch that fit what GB seems to want to do. Maybe 5-10 guys worth watching in depth.

Fairley and Surtain II are the top CBs in the draft, but both likely will be gone.  Fairley opted out this year, so long as he doesn't bomb the interview process he'll likely be a top 12 pick.  Surtain's tape isn't as good as Fairley was in 2019, but he played this year and you have to love the bloodlines.  Beyond that, the CB seems fairly deep and it's going to be a matter of preferences.  OT is a strong class.  You've got Penei Sewell and then a slew of OTs, but like the CBs you're going to be sifting to find your guy.  WR is strong at the top and has some good depth too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Fairley and Surtain II are the top CBs in the draft, but both likely will be gone.  Fairley opted out this year, so long as he doesn't bomb the interview process he'll likely be a top 12 pick.  Surtain's tape isn't as good as Fairley was in 2019, but he played this year and you have to love the bloodlines.  Beyond that, the CB seems fairly deep and it's going to be a matter of preferences.  OT is a strong class.  You've got Penei Sewell and then a slew of OTs, but like the CBs you're going to be sifting to find your guy.  WR is strong at the top and has some good depth too.

Correct. Great year for our needs except IDL.

8 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I've watched some corners, and have come away feeling like this is a deep corner draft and many of them have size.  

.........After round 3...I've watched some Trill Williams.  Great size, nothing really pops out at me, though.  Marco Wilson looks like a slot corner to me.

I've been banging the drum for Tay Gowan 6'2", 185, (UCF). This is what I put in Squires draft thread.

When you get to your third round pick (or later) and are considering CBs, I've been wondering about Tay Gowan 6'2", 185 (UCF). He doesn't appear on some popular boards (can't find him on the Drafttek board and is listed at #204 on thedraftnetwork). It's probably the lack of much tape that hurts him as he sat out this season - PFF (Renner) had him as the 6th best CB (which trnslates to a 2nd round pick), and if he can run stride for stride with the fastest guy in college football, Simi Fehoko (Stanford), so he has all the speed you want. In a year where there is no combine to wow GMs, he may well become a true steal of the draft from round three onwards.

You may have heard of UCF cornerback Aaron Robinson, who has been in a number of Round 1 mocks and showed out at the Senior Bowl. It was Gowan, though, who was doing the heavy lifting for the Knights on the outside in 2019 before opting out this past year. At 6-foot-2 and 185 pounds, Gowan has likely 4.3-second speed that put clamps on every receiver he faced. He allowed only 20 catches on 50 targets for 274 yards with a 54.9 passer rating against in all of 2019. Unfortunately, we just didn’t get to see what his next step looks like.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 2

As for not drafting a top WR, consider this. In the recent past Gute has drafted Love for a future replacement for Rodgers, Dillon for A.Jones, and very likely Jenkins for Linsley.

On that basis, getting a top WR as a possible future replacement for Davante Adams (who will be expecting something like $22m+ pa, after his 2021 season) is at least worth considering.

10 hours ago, spilltray said:

I am blaming @EirePacker for my draft crush this year, Jonathan Adams WR Arkansas State.  

I don't think he is an early round pick.  But I like what I have seen, a lot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

As for not drafting a top WR, consider this. In the recent past Gute has drafted Love for a future replacement for Rodgers, Dillon for A.Jones, and very likely Jenkins for Linsley.

On that basis, getting a top WR as a possible future replacement for Davante Adams (who will be expecting something like $22m+ pa, after his 2021 season) is at least worth considering.

I think that Davante is one that you keep around.  He is turning 29 at the end of this season.  Add 4 years to the end of this contract and he is a FA at 33 and can act as a safety blanket for the beginning of Love's career.  

I understand the thought process.  But I think you are probably overthinking it.  Davante is still in his prime years, and isn't a headcase.  Just keep him.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

A random thought that popped into my head:

Unless you think the RT you get at #29 will be better than Jenkins at that position, you should just take the best guard in the draft and move Jenkins to tackle. 

Or you should just take the best guy

1 hour ago, Lodestar said:

A random thought that popped into my head:

Unless you think the RT you get at #29 will be better than Jenkins at that position, you should just take the best guard in the draft and move Jenkins to tackle. 

Wrong.  The best RT is the best guard with the possibility of being the best RT.

Ain’t no damn guard at 29 gonna be able to be the best RT.

And this is Aaron Rodgers.  When was the last time Rodgers has lost a postseason game because of interior pressure?

WR I could accept at 29.  ILB I could accept.  Hell, with LaFleur as our head coach, a complete TE I could accept.

But if the Packers draft a ****ing guard 29th overall I’m done with football for the rest of my short, meaningless life.

5 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think that Davante is one that you keep around.  He is turning 29 at the end of this season.  Add 4 years to the end of this contract and he is a FA at 33 and can act as a safety blanket for the beginning of Love's career.  

I understand the thought process.  But I think you are probably overthinking it.  Davante is still in his prime years, and isn't a headcase.  Just keep him.

That might be ideal but  it really depends on us being able to match what he is worth.  If Rodgers is here for the foreseeable future, he would probably be willing to make small concessions since those two have completed the mind meld.  If there is any doubt, he might look to cash in on his last big payday now that his market is at its peak.  Drafting a talent there would make sense either way, even if he's not at 17's level.

14 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I just put the "draft-a-WR-to-replace-Davante" speculation out there because of the way the Packers have operated recently. I am not invested in that opinion myself, just pointing out that the Packers do draft for needs beyond the current year (and another $22m+ pa contract will be very tough to squeeze under the cap).

Personally, I really hope the Packers find a way to extend Davante.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

WR is not high on my list of needs. The Packers can win the Super Bowl with the current offensive talent. Obviously OT needs to be sorted out. What flies under the radar for me is that the Packers have had a long line of WR's passing down knowledge and how to be a pro since literally forever. I think it's a thing. No way you can come to Green Bay and survive without falling in step with Adams, who fell in step with Nelson, who fell in step with ......