2021 NFL Draft Thread

ChaRisMa

5 minutes ago, Joe said:

We say that every year it seems so either we sign someone worth our time in FA(hardy har har) or we draft one early. We can't go another year with just Kenny as our proven player, Keke as a "shows some flashes," Lowry who we all want to cut, and a bunch of below average JAGs. Also, it's not drafting an IDL for the sake of drafting an IDL when it's an immediate need. The same goes for OT at this point...

A move needed to be made 3 years ago and we're still waiting on it, not only are we waiting on it, but we've been forced to move Z inside just so we have a prayer thus taking him away from what he does best: rush from the EDGE....

This would still leave Kenny as our only proven player 

Z rushes very effectively inside. Hes best when moved around, and we have more pieces to play with outside. Letting Z pick his spot is his best rush spot.

3 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

This would still leave Kenny as our only proven player 

There have been several IDL that have come into the league as early round picks and make their presence known very quickly and there are a few of those players like Barmore, Onwuzurike, and the two USC guys. It's been frustrating to watch us hit on a 1st round IDL and then put nothing but JAG's around him as we did with Raji and now as we seem to be doing with Kenny. When we've won Super Bowls, we win with strong DL's like in 2010 when we had Raji and two guys in their prime in Pickett and Cullen Jenkins. In '96 we had a prime Reggie White with a prime Gilbert Brown, solid veterans in Santana Dotson and Sean Jones, and younger guys like Keith MacKenzie, Darius Holland, and Gabe Wilkins coming into their prime. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Joe said:

There have been several IDL that have come into the league as early round picks and make their presence known very quickly and there are a few of those players like Barmore, Onwuzurike, and the two USC guys. It's been frustrating to watch us hit on a 1st round IDL and then put nothing but JAG's around him as we did with Raji and now as we seem to be doing with Kenny. When we've won Super Bowls, we win with strong DL's like in 2010 when we had Raji and two guys in their prime in Pickett and Cullen Jenkins. In '96 we had a prime Reggie White with a prime Gilbert Brown, solid veterans in Santana Dotson and Sean Jones, and younger guys like Keith MacKenzie, Darius Holland, and Gabe Wilkins coming into their prime. 

Agree, we have the edges but nothing but Clark inside.  Interior pressure on a qb is even more disruptive than from outside.  Get Clark some frickin help and that will make the D even better.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Joe said:

We say that every year it seems so either we sign someone worth our time in FA(hardy har har) or we draft one early. We can't go another year with just Kenny as our proven player, Keke as a "shows some flashes," Lowry who we all want to cut, and a bunch of below average JAGs. Also, it's not drafting an IDL for the sake of drafting an IDL when it's an immediate need. The same goes for OT at this point...

So...the solution is to overdraft a player who is clearly graded a tier lower?

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

So...the solution is to overdraft a player who is clearly graded a tier lower?

Drafting strictly on prioritized needs rarely works. There has to be a combination of the BPA factor (according to their tiered board) with the factor of position of greater or lesser need. 

50 minutes ago, DWhitehurst said:

Drafting strictly on prioritized needs rarely works. There has to be a combination of the BPA factor (according to their tiered board) with the factor of position of greater or lesser need. 

Yep. I'd also include positional importance along with a teams positions of greatest need. In round one, QB, pass rusher, OT, and maybe CB, trump other positions like RB, ILB, interior O line, with WR and S somewhere in the middle. 

Any mock done before the draft has the drawback of not knowing know who is available at any pick, or even if the Packers stay put at a draft pick or trade.

My favourite mock these days, is the one done AFTER the draft, where you can choose to do any draft day trades the Packers did, or choose not to...........and the choice of who to pick is limited by who was available when each pick came around. You would still have the advantage of knowing exactly where each player goes, but it is more realistic, imo, especially this year, when it is unusually hard to know the relative value of prospects.

3 hours ago, VonKarman said:

Best available of CB/OT/DT/WR in the first three rounds, unless a gem like JOK slips.

I think you need to hit those 4 positions with your first 5 picks including doubling up one of them. OT would be OL in general for me depending on what our plan for Jenkins is long term. 

If I could pick the board to fall how I wanted, I'd go CB and WR with my top two picks. OL/DL with picks 3 and 4. Then with the 4th comp, go CB, OL or DL again. Wildcard in the 3rd/4th is EDGE because I wouldn't pass on a good pass rusher if he's there. 

Wouldn't draft any TE, RB, ILB or even S (unless we see him as a CB) before round 5. 

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

I have a feeling that we're going to be really high on Jevon Holland and Trevon Moehrig.

I would love Jevon Holland. If he falls to us in the first round I can see Gute pulling the trigger on him. Not sure he’s a first round talent but there’s usually not any left at 29 anyway. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VonKarman said:

Best available of CB/OT/DT/WR in the first three rounds, unless a gem like JOK slips.

Koramoah? Dudes not even big for a safety (6-2”, 215#). What are we drafting him for, ILB? Then just draft a guy like Holland who can play down field better IMO.