2021 NFL Draft Thread

ChaRisMa

I think, if he were the plan at RT, he would be getting reps there.  If the plan were to have Jenkins at RT, why not have Patrick or Runyan playing LG, and Turner can play RG as he did all of last season? I really think that the staff started Jenkins at RT in game one because Lane Taylor and Lucas Patrick played well for them in the preseason practices and they wanted to get them on the field.  When Taylor got injured, Jenkins moved back inside and Wagner played RT.  IMO, if the goal is for Jenkins to be RT, they would have just put Runyan in at G and kept Jenkins at tackle.  

17 hours ago, Kampfgeist said:

I suspect Stepaniak pushes for a starting G spot next year.  Many thought he’d be a 3rd-4th rounder prior to his injury and he’ll be well more than a year out from his ACL injury.   Jenkins is a great guard but it wouldn’t shock me if Stepaniak and Runyan are the starting Guards with Jenkins the new Center.  

I would assume they're hopeful, but the injury makes is a toss-up.  I don't recall him being that highly graded, but it's possible.

15 hours ago, Joe said:

I hate to be rude, but what in the actual #@c% are you talking about? Since when has Jenkins been slated for Center duties? If anything, Patrick or Hanson take over in the event Linsley leave. In fact, Hanson was drafted as a Center FWIW...

I will give you that Runyan is a viable(and VERY viable) option at RG in the near future. I cannot emphasize how much I loved this pick and can't believe how far he fell. He was great in the Minny game and will be a Day 3 steal when all is said and done barring a major injury(or injury history) or a complete and utter regression.

Jenkins played center at Mississippi State...

• Like 5

On 8/11/2020 at 3:31 PM, Norm said:

I still think GB anticipated that happening, little tinfoil hat here, or they thought at least shortened. 

100% agreed. I've been saying this since Day 2 of that draft. Green Bay was drafting as if they were anticipating the 2020 Season not being played or not being played all the way through. Their approach was more future based then immediate needs based and with the uncertainty of the 2020 Season, it actually made sense from that aspect.

• Like 2

I haven't stopped fuming over needing still to draft an OT, a DT, and a WR. It's like we missed a whole draft. It helps that day three was a good haul, but a reach RB in round two still does not sit well with me. It's going to hurt a lot every time Claypoole scores 4 TDs and we wonder how we will replace Adams' production in 2 years.

Even conceding 2020 is a weak draft class, I can't wrap my head around what Gute did here.

That said, looks like TE, WR, edge, OL, and CB are pretty deep in 2021. DT is out. I could see us drafting any of those. And we need one at each except edge. I assume also that Bachtiari and Jones will be back. The latter is more like a WR/RB and not easy to replace in this offense. More valuable than Davante imo. Since we have no future options at LT or RT, BachtiarI will be inked at his price.

15 hours ago, Joe said:

Then why challenge it? Either certain people were trolling or they didn't understand what I said...

I mean it isn't a huge leap to think that jenkins could play center (for us) when he played center in college (for mississippi st)

Think cwood was just pointing that much out.

6 hours ago, TheEagle said:

I have no problem rolling with Tonyan, Deguara, and Sternberger going forward.

At least for this year.  If Tonyan is a one game wonder and Sternberger doesn't show more than the occasional 30 yard game, it goes back on the list for next year.

7 hours ago, TheEagle said:

Yeah, I'd say the Packers are probably fine there.  Tonyan has taken a big step forward, and I think Sternberger will get there at some point this season.  Deguara seemed like he was going to carve out a decent role as a rookie, so I think despite the injury his future is bright.

19 hours ago, Joe said:

Then why challenge it? Either certain people were trolling or they didn't understand what I said...

Or you weren't clear enough.  Jenkins played center at Mississippi State.  Since the Packers drafted him, the Packers have always had Corey Linsley as their starting C.  There's no reason to believe that he couldn't move over to C IF the Packers moved on from Corey Linsley.

8 hours ago, TheEagle said:

I'm just pointing out that TE looks like a good class.

And they will lose Mercedes Lewis.

This isn't MM who drafted -- how many? 2?  -- just 2 TEs in his tenure, one in the weakest TE class I can remember: Richard Rodgers, stand out in that TE class. Sure, we had some UDFAs and 6th/7th rounders, but the plan was: hopefully Finley comes back; then, Rodgers can hold down the fort; then, waste tons of money on FA. Mac needed one stud TE and a couple UDFA TEs & RBs; then they stopped reloading WR and even OL.