2021 NFL Draft Thread

ChaRisMa

18 hours ago, JaireAlex said:

I haven't stopped fuming over needing still to draft an OT, a DT, and a WR. It's like we missed a whole draft. It helps that day three was a good haul, but a reach RB in round two still does not sit well with me. It's going to hurt a lot every time Claypoole scores 4 TDs and we wonder how we will replace Adams' production in 2 years.

Since we have no future options at LT or RT, BachtiarI will be inked at his price.

I agree with you about the DT position.  The DL is a weak spot on the team.  Clark is great, Lowry is serviceable, Keke is interesting, and Adams and Lancaster are somewhere between average and liability on most plays.  

A 29 year old All-Pro LT is the future.  You sign that guy.  His decline (assuming health) won't be until his next contract is up.  At least Dillon is getting some play.  Nobody drafted is as good as Bakhtiari.  We also have two RTs that are pretty good.  I don't see the problem, unless you expect to have a starter level back-up at all line positions.  Most teams don't have a full set of 5 good OL.  The Packers are in a very good position regarding OL.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Or you weren't clear enough.  Jenkins played center at Mississippi State.  Since the Packers drafted him, the Packers have always had Corey Linsley as their starting C.  There's no reason to believe that he couldn't move over to C IF the Packers moved on from Corey Linsley.

Ok, now y'all just trolling me because if you weren't, you'd acknowledge the following:

1. Jenkins has been playing Guard at an All-Pro level and has played RT at a high enough level to make some think he may be heir apparent at the position.
2. Why was Jake Hanson drafted AS A CENTER...
3. Why has Lucas Patrick been the back-up Center to Linsley.

I've been watching a lot of Letterkenny tonight on Hulu, so I suggest you let that one marinate and figgur it out...

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Ok, now y'all just trolling me because if you weren't, you'd acknowledge the following:

1. Jenkins has been playing Guard at an All-Pro level and has played RT at a high enough level to make some think he may be heir apparent at the position.
2. Why was Jake Hanson drafted AS A CENTER...
3. Why has Lucas Patrick been the back-up Center to Linsley.

I've been watching a lot of Letterkenny tonight on Hulu, so I suggest you let that one marinate and figgur it out...

Jenkins played C at Mississippi State, correct?  And if the Packers moved on from Corey Linsley, is it not beyond the realm of possibility that they could move Jenkins to center, right?  Your logic is based purely on the fact that Jenkins was asked to play RT out of necessity, AND the fact that they drafted a guy who was a pure center who didn't even make the initial 53 man roster.   Is that proof that Jenkins couldn't be asked to potentially play C in the future?  Apparently so.

• Like 1

So far Gute has always gone with position value in the 1st round...

The most important positions have long been said to be (in no order), QB, OT, CB and Edge Rusher... as MM and I believe a number of scouts (NFL, not nessarily Packers) have talked about TE and S have basically become the 1B's in most important positions the modern era.

That being said, I believe that CBs seriously need to keep being upgraded. The Packers MIGHT have 3 good CBs but I think it drops off quickly from there... especially when you consider King is going to be a FA and they're not talked about resigning him, but LT Bak, RB Jones and fans suggest saving resigning CB Alexander is more important than resigning CB King.

So I believe CB is our biggest need moving forward.

If we keep all the guys we have, I don't see edge rusher as a need, but if we get rid of Preston then maybe it would be.

RT depends Turner... I've thought it was a major huge need, but the Packers SERIOUSLY seem to believe in him at RT, and he looked good there in a REALLY small sample, need to see more.

When the Packers are entirely health roster, I think they got enough WRs (we're missing Lazard and Funchess right now, and have missed Adams and St. Brown this season), but of course could always improve on this as a number of guys (Funchess, MVS and St. Brown) will be going into contract years and Packers seem to like grabbing a guy (especially with their 2nd round or selection) to a position where a guy is going in a contract year.

DT, they got depth, they just don't have above average talent there other than Clark and maybe the developing Keke. This is a major need as we're relying too much on Clark to stay healthy, also a pass rush up the middle helps the edge rushers a lot.

TE, might be interesting if they keep adding TEs, I think they might, but a lower selection, maybe a blocking guy if Lewis hangs them up or starts declining

After a couple years spending a day 2 pick in TE, it's time to get them in the late rounds.

WR, will depend on how ESB performs. I'd probably try to draft one on the 2nd day since we might be Davanteless in 2022.

CB is a must for me. We should also get a DE. I'd wait to expend a top pick in a OT till 2022 seeing that we have insurance with Turner/Wagner/Jenkins (unless we do not re-sign Bakhtiari, then get one LT in the 1st). Probably add a developmental guy in the 3rd day.

So CB/DE in the first, and DE/CB+WR in the second day for me right now.

14 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Jenkins played C at Mississippi State, correct?  And if the Packers moved on from Corey Linsley, is it not beyond the realm of possibility that they could move Jenkins to center, right?  Your logic is based purely on the fact that Jenkins was asked to play RT out of necessity, AND the fact that they drafted a guy who was a pure center who didn't even make the initial 53 man roster.   Is that proof that Jenkins couldn't be asked to potentially play C in the future?  Apparently so.

With due respect, are you just trolling me at this point or something? We're not sticking our best IOL at Center and we had another RT on the roster when he played RT. If he was going to play Center, he would've played Center by now, but he has not.

He was drafted to be an elite IOL and he's not moving to Center, end of story. No need to discuss this further...

9 hours ago, VonKarman said:

After a couple years spending a day 2 pick in TE, it's time to get them in the late rounds.

WR, will depend on how ESB performs. I'd probably try to draft one on the 2nd day since we might be Davanteless in 2022.

CB is a must for me. We should also get a DE. I'd wait to expend a top pick in a OT till 2022 seeing that we have insurance with Turner/Wagner/Jenkins (unless we do not re-sign Bakhtiari, then get one LT in the 1st). Probably add a developmental guy in the 3rd day.

So CB/DE in the first, and DE/CB+WR in the second day for me right now.

I'm going to go out on a limb here with a bit of a hot take: we may not need to replace Davante with an elite WR. Why? because Rodgers has taken deck chairs and made them productive so if Jordan Love is supposed to be this diamond in the rough world beater that the organization seems to think he is, who's to say he can't do the same. Sure, he's no Rodgers and will never be, but his ceiling is Ryan Tannehill against the Bills TBH. 

Ergo, I'm thinking we may need to focus more on CB and even S so we're prepared for the time in which we will have a difficult decision on whether or not we give Alexander a 3rd contract or find a replacement for Amos down the road. We've proven time and again that regardless of the coaching staff, we develop OL at an elite level and our franchise LT was a 4th round pick who should've been a 2nd round pick...

We can pencil in that our 4th round pick will be used to trade up. So if we're discussing what we do in R1, it's a discussion about who we want to target. The same could be said in the next two rounds as well. No need for a TE at this point IMHO as Tonyan is the clear starter and I think that actually takes pressure off of Sternberger for the time being, though he has improved since that disastrous performance a couple games ago. IDL is still a must and I suspect we'll blow it up after this year keeping Kenny and Keke. We've proven that we can be successful against obvious run downs by putting Z just off NT surprisingly enough.

Edited by Joe

9 hours ago, Joe said:

With due respect, are you just trolling me at this point or something? We're not sticking our best IOL at Center and we had another RT on the roster when he played RT. If he was going to play Center, he would've played Center by now, but he has not.

He was drafted to be an elite IOL and he's not moving to Center, end of story. No need to discuss this further...

Are you being obtuse or are you going to ignore that this is a message board where people post their opinions?

This is Elgton Jenkins' second year in Green Bay.  In 2018, Corey Linsley played in 88.13% of the offensive snaps all of which came at C.  Linsley played in 100% of the snaps in all but 3 games.  The snaps in which Linsley missed were filled by Lucas Patrick.  Could that not possibly mean that they felt that Elgton Jenkins at LG and Lucas Patrick at C was more valuable than Lucas Patrick at LG and Elgton Jenkins at C?  That has absolutely NOTHING to do with Jenkins' ability to play C in the NFL.  He played C at Mississippi State, there's absolutely ZERO reason to believe he isn't capable of doing so in the NFL.

5 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

If you put Elgton in at C you probably can get away with less between two experienced tackles. Not exactly how I'd love this thing to go but I dont think its out of this world to consider either..

I'm not implying that you have to move Jenkins.  Merely that the possibility remains.

7 hours ago, persiandud said:

Is there a chance Rondale Moore is available in the 28-32 range? he is my biggest draft crush 

There's a chance. Teams could have him anywhere from WR2 to WR6ish right now without it being too crazy IMO.

If you love Rondale Moore check out Tutu Atwell from Louisville. Not quite as polished but every bit as shifty and fast.

• Like 1

I think the Packers along with several other teams drafted this year to some degree with an eye to this season either being cancelled or shortened.  All while still staying true to their board of course, but for maybe the first time in a very long time with expectations more aimed at the future.  

It is impossible to weigh the need in the coming off season without knowing what we're planning to do with our own FA's.   The Packers have a real clear idea, but even they do not know for sure at this point.  My hope is they are able to re-sign Bak, King, Williams, and Linsley.  Let's say Kirksey and Turner are gone.   Our need at CB would be diminished, losing only Jackson.  In comparison to losing King being my point.  I see this teams greatest needs at D-Line and possibly WR, OT, and DB after that.  ILB a need too, but with out young players already on the team and that positions seemingly decreased value in comparison to others we'll find one.  Value is king and sure if another Edge guy or TE is too good to pass at some point we take them, but this as a general guide.   Really a shot in the dark until we know what vets we keep and which ones are let loose.

• Like 1